Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firewire based MIDI Controller Keyboards

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you feel about this ?
Shall consider in future !
84%
 84%  [ 11 ]
I shall buy this !
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 13

jimiki

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: Firewire based MIDI Controller Keyboards Reply with quote

May be this is helpful for our members.

I was informed about this controller from CME which is based on Firewire technology. Please check out the website

http://www.cme-pro.com/product.html

Very Happy Very Happy
PatK

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Sound On Sound will have a review of these in an upcoming issue. If going 88 key the MAudio Keystation 88 looks to provide better controller options though, but I think these CME ones have a breath controller input, which is neat Smile

If going synth key I would choose the Novation ReMOTE 61 over this stuff, although Novations prices in Europe are double the USA, which is a scandal.. So these are a lot cheaper than the Novation in certain parts of the world.

Looks very good though - I'll wait and see what some reviews say
(Although I hate how many reviews talk about "touch and feel" (subjective) instead one of the main things that matters - doing a proper velocity test to see how easy it is to generate 1-127 accurately and if certain values aren't possible.)
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm it has a lot of great features... this is interesting since I'm searching for a master keyboard... I thought to the m-audio but now I can chose

thanx for the info
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lorenzo!

If I'm not wrong, ProLogic (or something similar in the name) produces good master controller....
I would not consider Kurzweil or Oberheim at all: they are great, but too much expansive!

regards

Korg M3 with EXB Radias & EXB-256 onboard
MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
chinard
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the M-Audio Keystation Pro-88 (that big weighted action thingie) and to be honest i didnt like the feel of the keys.

I ended up picking up a used kurzweil PC-88 for $100 cheaper than i would have paid for the M-Audio and im using that as a master keyboard. Absolutely wonderful feel to the keys, but i was lucky when i found that deal.

Other than that, the only usb midi controler i use is my Korg MicroKontrol. I use it alot on my laptop with reason when i travel and other than the shripmpy keys on it, its pretty handy for a portable interface.
Of course if i wanted full sized keys, the kontrol49 is a nice option, but doesnt fit as nicely in a backpack.
bryanf

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to do the poll, but you forgot the third option:-

"I bought a Korg keyboard so I wouldn't have to use a computer"

I'd like to see the numbers for that option.

Or is it just me...
B
JohnnyAardvark
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chinard wrote:
I looked at the M-Audio Keystation Pro-88 (that big weighted action thingie) and to be honest i didnt like the feel of the keys.

I totally agree! I didn't play it for long, but felt I knew instantly it was not what I was looking for. Impressive array of controls though!

chinard wrote:
Of course if i wanted full sized keys, the kontrol49 is a nice option, but doesnt fit as nicely in a backpack.

3 octaves, full size keys.... Built in sounds... Micron! Wink (I'm not an Alesis rep btw!) OK, less controls but if they are easily configurable with your software app.... I must have a play with one of these and Soon!

I found a cheep PC-88 too but it needed a key repairing, and just wasn't quite cheap enough. My setup may have been just that little bit different today.
mididiot

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:07 am    Post subject: cme-uf7 Reply with quote

I just received the 76 key version of this controller. I'm surprised at how solid its built. It fits my needs. I'll use it to control all my Logic and 3rd party softsynths in my studio. I use my TS76 for gigging. The controllers drawbars work great with Logic's B3. I had the M-Audio pro88 controller and took it back the action was not for me. I'm a synth and B3 player and weighted keys don't work for the majority of stuff I do. The controls were great, but more than I needed. This controller has pretty much all I need. Check this controller out if you get a chance. I'm sure you will be surprised.
neutron

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think m-audio ozonic its quite interesting
i'm curious about its joystick..
it is a 4 way stick
is it abel to control the wavestation in
the legacy softw?

triton extreme fantom x6 vs2000cd,m-audio 1814,m-audio Bx8,jbl c 5,maison acoustic strings,blade bl2 el.guit,powerbook 12",sx3,kontakt,absynth,,... Wink))))))))
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mididiot (Paul),

as you own this controller...
I would be interested in the 76 version...
but what aoubt connection for pedals?
sustain, switch...
if I own a Triton Rack, how could I switch from patch to patch?

thanks a lot

Korg M3 with EXB Radias & EXB-256 onboard
MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
Tomcat
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

Where did you get yours from? I'm VERY interested in the 76 key version for use in my studio.

Thanks,
Tom
studiotechni

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried the 76 note CME as well and it has a feel not unlike the Yamaha action found in many KORG synths/workstations! Very nice indeed, and the price is very reasonable. Aftertouch and breath controller are both present. BTW it has one sustain jack and one CC jack...

A little more work is needed on the OSX driver, but it works great as a standalone controller and the Windows drivers seem to be actively updated. There's a good review here:

http://www.cme-pro.com/download/Keyboard_Apr05_CMEreview.pdf

petosa music in Seattle is a good source for these:

http://www.petosa.com/music/

-cheers
mididiot

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: CME UF7 Reply with quote

I purchased mine online at BH Photo website. I pre-ordered one at Sam Ash, but they didn't get it in, after 2months of waiting. They might have it now. I just got a new Mac G5 Dual 2.7 machine and it works fine with all of my apps and softsynths. It has a sustain, programmable pedal and breath control inputs. It can be powered from the usb port (if you use this method instead of using the included power plug, you can't use aftertouch. I'm very satisfied.
jimiki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update and review by my friend at launch....

I shall now talk about the UF5 , UF6 , UF7 Series of MIDI Controllers.As promised , what you see is what you get.The UF5 (49 key) cost $350 SGD is already dirt cheap , considering the fact that CME has thrown in 8 assignable control knobs , 9 assignable control faders and LED data display , control buttons which include Programe , Transpose , Octave , Channel , Keyboard Split and 6 sequencer buttons , including REC , PLAY , STOP , FASTWIND , REWIND AND RETURE TO START etc into their MIDI controllers , surely WHAT MORE CAN YOU ASK FOR????

Of course , their controllers have the aftertouch and breath control interface function but I'm in no position to comment on the aftertouch as I do not know what aftertouch is.

I shall now touch on the UF8 (88 key) series.It comes with UNGRADED weighted keys which in my opinion , if I would comment on the touch and feel of it , I shall say that the touch is a bit stiff and wobbily but still ideal for any pianist.The touch reminds me of a Bosenderfor Grand at La Salle SIA with some extra stiffness to it.

The only setback I had was that right now you have to depend on USB power for it to function.The notebook from which the controller was connected to experienced a huge amount of latency.I guess it was the notebook that was causing this lag but when connected to a PC (UF7) with 256MB of RAM , it worked perfectly fine.

The firewire expansion board includes :

2 24bit/192KHz line inputs

2 24bit/192KHz line outputs

1 Mic in with preamp

1 guitar Hi-z input

1 IEEE 1394 FireWire interface

1 S/PDIF digital I/O

2 headphone outputs

1 MIDI OUT port

1 MIDE IN port

1 MIDI THRU port

1 headphone volume control
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: