Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Switching Combi and Program sounds quickly during performanc

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyattladd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Switching Combi and Program sounds quickly during performanc Reply with quote

I have a question regarding the operation of a Korg M3-73 that our church owns. I've scanned the manual online for this instrument and can't figure out an answer to my question. I found it here: http://i.korg.com/uploads/Support/M3_OpG_E_633652958406340000.pdf

I probably don't use this instrument the way that it's originally intended. But here's how I currently use it during our contemporary worship service. Depending on the song style, I select an option from either a Program setting or a Combination setting. So at the beginning of each song, I select either the Prog or Combi button, select the appropriate bank, and then enter the number to select the option followed by hitting the Enter button. It's not the smoothest of transitions from song to song.

Is there a way to input our predetermined settings so that they can be selected quickly by pressing one button? Can I input the selections into one of the User banks and then use the PS-1 foot switch to change quickly for a live performance? I've read about the foot switch but I'm not sure exactly if I could input BOTH Program and Combination options into a User Bank. Frankly, I don't even understand how to input any option into a User Bank.

Ideally, we just want to switch quickly between our chosen sounds as we change to the next song during a live performance. So any ideas or thoughts as to how to accomplish this would be helpful.

And one last request: Please make any explanation a "Dummies" explanation, as this machine seems very powerful and complicated. Unfortunately, it's not my goal to work the machine to its capability. But since our church owns it, we'd like to use it strategically.

Thank you!

(I'm also going to post this to another web forum.)
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand you correctly, I think one possible solution is for you to use Combis only, and then order those combis according to your set list. To make this work, you can copy any Program into a blank combi, and it will sound just like the Program, work just like the program, etc. Also, we tend to have far more empty combis available than programs, so this is a decent workaround making it easier to switch to the next song.

The "for dummies" explanation to understand how to get this done:

While in Program mode, find the program you want to copy into a blank combi. This will make the next few steps easier.

Now switch to Combi mode and call up a blank combi.

In your blank combi, at the top right of the screen, touch the arrow to bring up the command menu.

Choose "Copy from Program."

When you do this, the M3 will automatically select your previously chosen program from the first step and fill it in for you.

Now, check all of the boxes -- IFXs, MFXs, TFX, etc.

Press the OK button and the program is now playable in its own combi.

Name and save your new combi.

And that's how you get programs into combi mode. Armed with this technique, it's really only a matter of ordering your combis to match your set list. This is a bit more work, unfortunately. I would recommend finding an empty combi bank, and then using that as your set list "master." To copy combis into a new combi slot, you just need to save the combi to a new location -- the original combi can be left where it is so you'll have two of them, technically. Do note: this is no copy from combi command, so you do have to re-save a combi elsewhere to put into your master set list combi bank.

After you've done all that, make sure you back up everything to your USB stick.

When you've got everything in the order you need, you can now use a footswitch set to Program Up in Global mode to change to the next song.

Of course if your set list changes in the future, and it likely will, you'll have to re-order everything again. That's a pain, but it should go quicker, hopefully.
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This does exactly what you're looking for. I use this method all the time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqdZfOqq5Aw
wyattladd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardSync, thank you for your explanation. I've just browsed the manual again, and I have no idea how you got to your explanation, but I'm hopeful that your explanation may answer my question. I'll give it a try when I'm at church again.

It makes sense that a Program can be copied into a blank Combi user bank. I don't usually use the touchscreen, but it doesn't seem too hard to attempt. Am I interpreting correctly that there is no "Copy from Combi" command?

Can you clarify the steps to copy an existing Combi into a new User Bank location? I'm a bit confused on that step. It makes sense that it is creating a copy rather than moving it to a new location.

I've never used a USB with the Korg, but I saw the slot in the back. If I don't save to USB, will all my work disappear when I turn the Korg off? And if it's necessary to use the USB, could you please give me the steps on how to save to a USB?

Is a footswitch necessary, or is there a comparable way to press a button on the touch screen to get to the next in the set list?

After I've copied the selections into the set list location, is it easy enough to delete for the next week's songs? I assume you somehow just copy over the previous selections.

Yep, a bunch of elementary questions, I'm sure.

Drama1, thank you for your reply. I've watched the video twice, however it is very much over my head. Theoretically, I understand what is being done, but it is too complex for me to execute. But hopefully, it will help someone else!
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wyattladd wrote:
Am I interpreting correctly that there is no "Copy from Combi" command?

Can you clarify the steps to copy an existing Combi into a new User Bank location? I'm a bit confused on that step. It makes sense that it is creating a copy rather than moving it to a new location.

You are interpreting correctly. The steps are to just save the combi into a new location. You will use "Write Combination" from the command menu (you can also hold down the Enter key and press the 0 key). See Writing to internal memory on page 140 of the Operation Guide for the steps if necessasry. It's easy to do. Just avoid overwriting anything you want to keep by choosing an emtpy combination. An empty or blank combination's name will read "InitCombi" followed by it's bank and combi number, e.g. "InitCombi UG000".

wyattladd wrote:
I've never used a USB with the Korg, but I saw the slot in the back. If I don't save to USB, will all my work disappear when I turn the Korg off? And if it's necessary to use the USB, could you please give me the steps on how to save to a USB?

It's not necessary, arguably, but it's strongly recommended to back up your data so that you can restore your data if necessary. Anything you save/write will persist when you turn off the M3, though. Assume a worst-case scenario in which your M3 loses all of its data for some reason, or you've accidentally overwritten or deleted something you didn't want to lose. If you back up your data, you can restore the M3 to how it was before the data loss. I'd say this is super important. You should definitely read up on doing a Save All Data command in the Operation Guide, which is under the heading How to save data on page 143.

wyattladd wrote:
Is a footswitch necessary, or is there a comparable way to press a button on the touch screen to get to the next in the set list?

A footswitch is not necessary. There are a few ways you can do this. You can use the up/down arrows to the left of the touchscreen or the data wheel. You can also type in numbers using the keypad and then pressing enter to jump to any number in your combi bank.

wyattladd wrote:
After I've copied the selections into the set list location, is it easy enough to delete for the next week's songs? I assume you somehow just copy over the previous selections.

Yes. Simply use the write command to copy over the existing combis. Alternatively, you can leave everything where it is and start your set list from a higher number in the bank. For example: Let's say you create your very first set list in combi bank User-G, starting at number 000, and ending that week's set list at number 010. When you create your next set list for the following week, you can start that list at number 011 in the same bank, or any other number higher than 010. It's really up to you, your preferences for working, and how many songs you need to do this for.

Keep in mind that you will have many duplicates of your combis, and eventually you're going to run out of places to save copies of combinations in a particular bank, and you may want to start again in a new bank or clear the clutter the existing bank and start again. The whole point of this is to make it easier for you to switch to the next song in your list, but it does come with a bit of work each week and some obvious trade offs on storage. You'll have to manage this.

Might I recommend watching a few videos to familiarize yourself with how the M3 works in general? Try these two Operation Guides from Stephen Kay:

https://youtu.be/-MwUcIHLztE

https://youtu.be/hx9fsv5VyfU

Honestly, you truly need to familiarize yourself with the basics and spend time learning and doing things so that you do understand. Don't be afraid to try things. Even mistakes are valuable lessons learned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: