Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using LFO to Create Subtle Wavering of Oscillator?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iluvchiclets

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Using LFO to Create Subtle Wavering of Oscillator? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Still trying to come to grips with the LFOs included in the Kross.

I am trying to create a piano sound that is constantly moving in pitch (both "+" and "-") in values using a sine waveform. I can access the LFO pages, but I can't find where to assign the LFO1 or LFO2 to pitch? I'm pretty good at figuring out things like this, but it's not readily apparent to me for some reason.

I did manage to get some out-of-tune sounds happening, but they reset each time I pressed the keys as well as only changing pitch in one direction. The effect I am looking for is like that of the wow or flutter of a turntable.

Any help would be appreciated!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the pitch page. Put in LFO1 and the amount.
Dan Stesco
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Use the Common LFO instead LFO. The Common LFO generate the effect and don't depend of Key Trigger.

Cheers ,
Dan
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know you can set the other LFOs to sync to key trigger or not.
iluvchiclets

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies,

I have accessed those pages, but still cannot find where to tell the LFOs what the "target" is. For instance, how to select if I wanted to have the common LFO to oscillate the filter? Or, in this instance, where to tell the common LFO to oscillate the pitch?

I'm embarrassed to ask these questions - usually I am good at figuring this kind of thing out. I can see the frequency and wave shape parameters...
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to think from the other direction. It's not that you go to the LFO and tell it to go somewhere, it's that you go to the pitch (or filter, or amp, or whatever) page and tell it to get its modulation from an LFO. Many many parameters can be modulated this way and an LFO is a common source. In your case, go to the pitch page and find where it says pitch modulation (or possibly AMS, Alternate Modulation Source, the manual is your friend here) and select LFO 1 as souce and set the amount.
iluvchiclets

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again,

I am going through the manual quite thoroughly - for some reason it's not apparent to me there. I have noted the term AMS quite frequently, but I believe scrolling through it's parameters that it is for a specific control (CC messages, mod wheel, foot switch, damper pedal, etc...) Maybe I am wrong on this point?

I simply want a sound to waver in pitch. I really appreciate your post, I am going to have a look at the keyboard once again! You have given me a different way of looking at the programming.
iluvchiclets

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I found it now...

It's under page "P-Pitch", and then under the tab listed as "MOD".

The first line has an AMS option, and one of them is actually called Common LFO. I increased this value considerably.

Then, when I am on the Common LFO page, I can select waveform and frequency. I think it's doing what I want it to...thank you for the help in figuring this one out.

Now my piano sound is all nice and warbly!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the "AMS" point of view, there is no difference between an LFO or a CC message. They are both modulation sources.

Glad you figured it out!
tommymandel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that there's also an effect you can use to achieve a 'Vinyl Record effect." It includes controls for wow and flutter (warble) and also clicks+pops and type of hiss (pink noise.) Even lets you choose the speed of the record. (They could be played at 16, 33 1/3, 45 or 78 RPM (turns per minute) if you are too young to remember, lol.)
iluvchiclets

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!

To tommymandel: isn't that funny! A vinyl record effect? If I had just looked into all the effects options, I could have saved myself a lot of time!

Yes, I am old enough to remember records...I have a very nice collection of early rock and roll (and country) on 78s. That 50s music really sounds best played in that format.
tommymandel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS:I like chiclets too, but sadly, my records are in storage. I won't let them go, though I'm not sure when I'll ever have space for them here in tight nyc...unles I stack my bed on them! but it's already stacked on old 2" tapes!
I never thought of 50's music sounding best in that format, but I think I know what you mean. Smile hmmm...maybe cd's routed through the Kross' audio inputs with the vinyl record effect on Idea Question Exclamation Wink
iluvchiclets

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiclets was the name of my cat! Smile

It's not that Little Richard sounds perfect on a scratchy 78 - it's just the knowledge that thousands of teenagers heard those first "awakening" sounds on those lo-fi spinning discs. It's the experience of being in the room, and in front of the player that is so great.

(Just like playing through a tube amp, or a beaten-up guitar, makes me behave differently than if I were to play through a modern SS amp on a Paul Reed Smith.)
mmcwill

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: subtle wavering Reply with quote

Go to P-OSC PITCH page and select OSC 1 or 2.
Set frequency to 0.
Change the M. Wheel: #1 parameter to around +50 and experiment from there. Negatives values seem to have no effect, but positive numbers give the effect of a LP recording in which the pressing is slightly concentric or off-center.

Cheers,
Mike
iluvchiclets

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip mmcwill!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: