Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Noise

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pugface

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Noise Reply with quote

Is anybody else finding that the headphones output is very noisey? white noise coming through with a key pressed, especially when the signal level is greater than 5.
el_hombre

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't tried this one yet. I do tend to run my headphones quite quietly though.
pugface

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been reading around on forums and found out the ms20 is very noisey. Its inherent from copying the old circuits.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/846401-clarifying-ms-20-minis-noise-issue.html

I have a fairly low noise threshold in my set up and it stands out a mile after compression. I tried to see if it was coming through from the Ms20's mains but it isn't. I thinks its leakage of the VCOs.

Try turning down the volume of the VCOs and turning up the signal output and its huge.

Ok its a yuuky noise gate that is needed. Sad
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That guy over at gearslutz is obsessed with it & makes it out to be such an issue. He only started that thread because the moderators of the forum banned him from the ms 20 mini thread because of his persistent pressuring others about the same subject.

I'll lay a card on the table for you here & it will be an honest one. The same subject surfaces in every other thread about the mas 20 mini & much of it is a misunderstanding of the synthesizer. The word 'issue' immediately assumes that it is perhaps a fault but it is not. It's not an issue unless say you or anybody else finds that it is an element that you/anyone can't live with, in which case it's not the ms20 mini that you want.
In fact the noise IS inherent in the design of the synthesizer & is also an important part of the make-up of the whole character that the ms20 has.
It's only when you single the noise out on it own & focus on it alone that it stands out. I imagine that people who have worked with squeaky clean digital samples & other spotless media are the ones who single it out & find it to be an issue. Also some people who have only ever known the sterile world of digital. For me, it offers a less sterile sound that is more in line with real musical texture.
You have to tune in to it. It's there, yes but it shows itself in different doses & textures throughout the ranges of the synth. In many sounds the noise comes through as some sort of glorious sound shaping tool, as if the other frequencies are riding on mist or something. It's positively brilliant & without it , it just would not be the ms20....But it is !

It comes down to this. If you like the sound that the ms20 or ms20mini makes then it's a synth for you. If you find the noise within it to be an 'issue' , then it's not the synth for you. I have one & i can fit it into almost anything, i reach for it often & it still has more to offer & discover. Owners of the original from back in the day might have been there & done that, bought the t-shirt etc.. but love my ms20 m, noise & everything & it's not leaving my side.

Wink Rolling Eyes
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pugface wrote:
I have been reading around on forums and found out the ms20 is very noisey. Its inherent from copying the old circuits.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/846401-clarifying-ms-20-minis-noise-issue.html

I have a fairly low noise threshold in my set up and it stands out a mile after compression. I tried to see if it was coming through from the Ms20's mains but it isn't. I thinks its leakage of the VCOs.

Try turning down the volume of the VCOs and turning up the signal output and its huge.

Does it even need compression ? I dont feed mine through a compressor, it runs wild.

A noise gate will NOT stop the noise from the ms20 m. It's not the type of noise that is there below the signal/separate to the signal. It's IN the signal or it IS the signal.
pugface

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrHoo wrote:
pugface wrote:

Does it even need compression ? I dont feed mine through a compressor, it runs wild.

A noise gate will NOT stop the noise from the ms20 m. It's not the type of noise that is there below the signal/separate to the signal. It's IN the signal or it IS the signal.

Yes its pretty high level and very difficult to remove. So will have to live with it. I am trying side chaining as a means of removing from the mix when the Ms20 is not doing anything. That works. Otherwise I have to keep silencing the channel its on. Its only a problem when the MS20 is not making any sound. I find it sends a small amount of noise when it is not being used. But I may be doing something wrong with the Ms20. not sure.
Bassface78

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only run my headphones at a 2 volume so haven't noticed.
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for not mentioning the headphone socket in my earlier post, i didn't mean to ignore it. I know it was in the original post here.

All i know though is that the headphone output is known to be noisier than the regular output so that's normal at least. It's probably pre-amped like other headphone sockets on other gear. I would recommend using the master output whenever possible for general use, connection to a mixer etc. The headphone out lends itself well to reprocessing patches as in, feeding the output back into the thing for various effects. It's all about experimenting & the ms20m has a lot to offer sonically.

I guess that if you were using it as your only synth for basses & other stuff then there will be times when the noise will get your goat, especially on triangle/sub's & the like & i must admit i reach for another machine when it gets like that unless the noise is complimenting the sound. The rest of the time though i'm cool with it & in fact i sometimes run it through a vintage early 80's analogue delay which is even noisier even when it sits idle but sometimes i want that dirt in the mix.
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pugface wrote:
Yes its pretty high level and very difficult to remove. So will have to live with it. I am trying side chaining as a means of removing from the mix when the Ms20 is not doing anything. That works. Otherwise I have to keep silencing the channel its on. Its only a problem when the MS20 is not making any sound. I find it sends a small amount of noise when it is not being used. But I may be doing something wrong with the Ms20. not sure.

I have read accounts from some people who seemed to think that their unit had excessively loud noise, above the normal expected level. Is it possible that you have one like that ? Could you get a replacement for it ? That's what some other people have done.
The only other thing that comes to mind is the level that you are using it at. Are the oscillators turned up at the mixer all the time & what level do you have the master volume at ?? The unit requires manual tweaking in those areas depending on what sound you are making & sometimes you have to work out when to back off the relevant level knob to suit your system & the patch. I mean, a setting of say 7 for each oscillator for 1 patch might sound great but then if you add some other modulation or whatever the same levels may then become unsuitable. It's an ever moving ever changing synthesizer with real voltage controlling what's under the hood.
For the record my master volume level normally sits somewhere between 5 & 7. My oscillator level knobs vary but often end up between 6 & 8...Just saying like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG MS20 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: