Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KROME vs. EXTREME

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salto

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: KROME vs. EXTREME Reply with quote

I have an Extreme....Key bed is great....kills the M50 and the Yamaha MOX..

If the Key bed on the KROME is like the M50 forget it...

I'm guessing the pianos are better on the KROME ? But what else?

Comparisons anyone ? Worth an upgrade or do we pass?

Any one want to chime in on this and any other differences...
Stephen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think seriously about replacing an Extreme...period!

I like my Krome, but if I had an Extreme I wouldn't have considered buying anything else, except maybe a Kronos.

As for the Pianos, yes, they're good, but many of the voices/patches, are the same as the TR, just enhanced with all that processing power, and the Extreme is not weak in that regard.

I have wondered what I could come up with for piano sounds if I had an Extreme to play around with.

$.02
http://cdbaby.com/all/jstephenfoster

Location Central U.S.A.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salto,

I own the Extreme 88 and am considering the Krome for a couple of reasons.

First is the piano - I play that voice a lot with my band and it would be nice to have a really good one. I'm a bit concerned by recent posts, re: organ mostly, indicating that for some programs the summed mono output doesn't work. I don't know if this is for the whole board or just an artifact of the rotary speaker effect. There's a program fix, but it requires a fair amount of editing, so I'm really hoping that a stereo feed is not mandatory for best sound on all the voices - piano especially.

Second, I've done pretty extensive edits of the combis on my Extreme to get away from the straight 4-on-the-floor dance oriented flavor that was the Extreme's strong point. Looking over the drum patterns available for the drum track feature, I'm really pleased to see a lot of very different genres represented with several entries and not just the one or two squeezed into the extreme's arp section.

I've mostly given up on trying to get more than a decent drum arp on the extreme - Krome splits off the drum track that had previously eaten at least one arp function and gives you 2 arps plus drums. To me that pretty much doubles the usefulness of the arp section. And nice as KARMA is for some things, for me, the double arps are easier to grasp and get a decent/musical result from.

I'm not a big sequence guy, but Krome's sequencer looks to be state of the art with features not (yet) found on Kronos.

Bigger touch screen - and hey, it is a touch screen - unlike some knocked down boards that previously tried to hit this price point.

So yeah, Krome looks pretty good.

My own take is that you should have a weighted and unweighted board in your gig set-up; whichever Extreme model you have go for the other type in Krome.

As to the hands-on experience playing one? I'm in no huge hurry to buy without laying hands on it first. Until I can, I'm satisfied that the Extreme does most of the things I want it to, and does them really well.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not even talk about this! Replacing Extreme with Krone? NO MAN!
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Nedim,

Not even replacing my Extreme, but seriously considering replacing my "and" 'board which is currently a Triton Classic.

Between the Classic and Krome - I'm thinkin' Krome.

And the price tag works out to a month or so of gig money to get one.

The crisis for me is (well, do I really need another keyboard, but lets put that aside) between the Krome and the M3M, now running pretty much neck and neck price-wise.

BB

[Off-topic: notice Komplete 8 Ult. is now 1st on your list - liking it? Production only or gigging with it?]

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
csteen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen wrote:
I would think seriously about replacing an Extreme...period!

As for the Pianos, yes, they're good, but many of the voices/patches, are the same as the TR, just enhanced with all that processing power, and the Extreme is not weak in that regard.

$.02
The voices are more like the M3/50 and not the TR just to clarify. I believe they have new effects routings as well. Check the krome threads on performance for more info on this. Wink
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bill, everything i use is 99% production, even my synths, i stopped
playing live and only on few occasions now.
uniformedservices1969

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: KROME vs. EXTREME Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by uniformedservices1969 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Salto

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the input guys....I own the 61 key Extreme and yeah, on Budget workstations these keys aren't close to the Extreme.

I concur the drum patterns are not that useable for me......

So far the replies leave me where I was at.....If I get rid of the Extreme it's gotta be for a FLAGSHIP new synth......
Stephen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A combination of Extreme, and Krome......now that would be very cool! Drool
http://cdbaby.com/all/jstephenfoster

Location Central U.S.A.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: