Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

organ sound defect?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
keyboard komuso

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: organ sound defect? Reply with quote

Been playing the SV1 quite a bit. Initially I loved it, but as I spend a bit more time with it (especially through head phones) there are a few issues that have me considering returning it. Aside from the very annoying hiss when using the amp simulators, I found another issue. In the "Organ" category, sound number 6 ( I think it's a Farfisa?) I notice an extra tone when playing single notes. It's more prominent in the lower 5 octaves of the 73 note I have, and seems to get more prominent as you go lower in pitch. There's a major 3rd that you hear when playing. So for example I'll hit a single low C and you hear both C and E. This is a problem when you're playing in minor keys! I noticed it when playing a C minor chord in the right hand with a low C in the bass. The E overtone heard in the bass note does not sound good with the E flat my right hand is playing. Now maybe that's the way the original organ they are emulating was made and Korg is re creating it's authenticity. Or is it a bug? Anyone else have this issue?

Last edited by keyboard komuso on Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the nature of the Farfisa organ - it is sampled, not modeled so we can't change that way it behaves. Many older transistor-based organs sounded this way... consider it part of their unique "charm".

Smile

regards,

Jerry
keyboard komuso

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, Jerry. I thought that may be the case but wasn't sure. I guess bass notes will be on my Moog when using that sound! Aside from the amp hiss, which I'm trying to get a handle on with the editor program, the SV is a very nice keyboard. I find myself just playing it for hours. Something very satisfying about sitting behind this thing! The Rhodes sound is so damn spot on and reacts beautifully. It makes all the other "quirks" manageable. Very Happy
wildcat1980

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The major third note you can hear clarely in lower octaves is the 5th harmonic, simply... IMHO it's more prominent in Vox Organ patch, because original instrument had a mixture drawbar for regulation of third, fifth and seventh harmonic; Farfisa had not this feature, but have wave generators wich naturally have pronunced third and fifth harmonic..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: