Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MP3 or Audio CD levels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mastering & Mixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pianomanky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: MP3 or Audio CD levels Reply with quote

Hey guys... I was wondering if there was a standard volume level a normal audio MP3 or CD should be set at when recorded.

For example if you normalize a track, or set the master volume of it, what DB should the final product be at when finished to put on a CD.

I would think there would be a standard that everybody uses so that one song wasn't louder or softer than another.

Does that make any sense to anyone?
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

It's not a matter of "dB", but a matter of RMS dB...
All commercial CD are mastered not to go over 0 dB (generally you master around -0.2 / -0.3) but as you may hear there are big differences between one disk and another; that's the "perceived" volume that count.
I advice you to read something about the mastering process; I find it a good starting point: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun01/articles/pcmusician0601.asp

HTH,
Regads

Korg M3 with EXB Radias & EXB-256 onboard
MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mastering & Mixing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: