Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Native Mode question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skateboarder873

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Native Mode question Reply with quote

Okay so i've read stuff on it, and have seen the PDF with colors and stuff like

F9 fS SI 23 21

(not those numbers, but like stuff listed like that...if you've seen that pdf you should know what i'm talking about)

but i have not found what Native Mode actually IS or DOES nor how to use those numbers to edit whatever it is you'd edit.

I see you need something like Live to use that...I have Ableton Live 6.

now what on earth does Native Mode do or mean.
h2a2p

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you are referring to that pdf that i posted...

The 'F1 00 52 37 00' numbers that you saw are SYSEX. Native Mode puts the PadKontrol into a raw mode where you have direct access to the buttons, knobs, and lights, through SYSEX. Normally the PadKontrol sends and receives MIDI, but in Native Mode, it is all SYSEX. Every button and knob on the PadKontrol sends out a certain SYSEX code, and you can turn on or off every light by sending a certain SYSEX code to the PadKontrol. The colors in the PDF show you what parts of the SYSEX codes correspond to each button, knob, or light.

Basically you're probably gonna have to do some kind of programming to get something going with Native mode. And you need a program that sends and receives SYSEX. Ableton Live does not have the ability to send or receive SYSEX. I know Max/MSP does SYSEX. Plogue Bidule does not. Pure Data does but for Windows only believe. I am using Visual Basic on Windows because that is what I am familiar with. So you make your program listen for SYSEX from the PadKontrol... ah, i received this SYSEX, that means button 1 was pressed, so now, lets send back these SYSEX codes that turn on lights 1 to 4, etc.

What is the point of trying to use Native Mode? The knobs and buttons normally send MIDI, and you can map them to whatever you like in Ableton or whatever very easily, so there really is no benefit to using Native Mode as far as they are concerned. The lights are where you get the benefit in Native Mode. Through SYSEX, you can turn on or off any light, make it blink, write things on the LED readout, etc. As an example of what you could do in Native Mode, here is a simple sequencer program that I whipped together:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=H6j-RIpdyMw
skateboarder873

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh wow, that's really awesome.

I know you wrote it and it's your "program" or whatever, but any chance of sending me the file you made with VB to use that? and how to set it up?

i know that's asking a lot, but just curious! because from there i can see what you did and how, and learn on my own.
bangInclude

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to h2a2p's great description of Native mode-
You have access to all buttons and pads. so those buttons, that usually do nothing ( except onboard programing ) can be used for whatever you want to program them to do... The XY pad sendsout a Z (on/off) message. Which allows you, among other things, to turn stuff on and off when you hit the XY pad. Also, the Big Encoder can be an endless encoder or 127 value pot...Fun stuff!!!

h2a2p, that sequencer looks awesome!!
h2a2p

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah i didn't realize about the Z on/off thing on the X/Y pad.... i knew there was more data there but didn't realize what it was for... hmmm... cool!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: