Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how to disassemble?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmyTheSaint

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: how to disassemble? Reply with quote

I've seen disassembly instructions on these boards before, but I can't find it now with the search function. Can someone point to where the relevant thread is describing how to disassemble, what screws to remove, etc?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ram installation ( by Martin Hines)
JimmyTheSaint

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that was the thread I remembered reading in the past. Thanks.
JPWC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful! After you remove all the screws from the bottom of the keyboard the assembly is very sloppy and if you attempt to move it around without the screws, well life is going to get difficult. You can use the foam end pieces to help support the keyboard off of it's face, and it would be a little easier if you slice the foam end pieces in half, in the longer direction.

You will need to loosen up the cable hold downs and removing the SSD drive bay helps.

The 2nd SSD will need mounting screws, 4 little metric screws, new SSD's often don't come with these.

Due to the assembly construction and inter-dependent mounting, installing drives and or memory chips may be more difficult than encountered on a computer.

If your going to void your warranty, be sure to do it in a carefully slow way. Ensure you have good lighting and have good access around the entire assembly. Use static free tools, work area and technics.

This is not a normal User upgradeable system.

It took me about 45 minutes to perform the operation, and I took time to study the workings and took pictures. You won't want to do this often so get your memory chip/ cable/ screws/ 2nd SSD, before starting.
Kronos-6, Krome, M3, Radias, KingKorg, microKorg, KP-2, KP-3, KO-1, KO-1 PRO, Karma, microX, monotron, monotribe, PadCONTROL, Wavedrum Mini, Volca Keys, Beats, Bass, Sample, monotron Duo & Delay, microArranger, M1, Wavestation, Volca Sample, Keys, Beats & Bass, MS-20

JD-XA, JD-Xi, Aira (system 1, TB3, TR8, MX-1), Prophet 12, Mopho X4, Jupiter-80, FA-06, D50, CS1x, CZ101, DX200, AN200, analogFOUR, MachineDrum, MonoMachine, Motif XF6, Virus Snow, Nord Lead 2X, OP-1, MFOS, Tenori-on, QY100, QY70, meeblip se, miniBrute, microBrute, Bass Station 2
JimmyTheSaint

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warning. So far, the Korg dealer here in Taiwan is refusing to offer any kind of hardware upgrade service. The excuse is that they have no standard charge available to install a user-supplied SSD, and they also refuse to supply an SSD. The retailer reports that the dealer says they're totally focused on the Kronos X. But that's got to be b.s. because servicing the Kronos X means servicing possible SSD failures and reinstallations, right? I mean, they could just charge their standard hourly labor rate to do an installation that's not currently on their official menu. After this warning, I'm going to break some serious balls to get the retailer to break some serious balls to get the dealer to step up. The retailer has already reported to me that a Kronos 88 power user recently messed up his axe's playability doing a DIY. Does anyone know how to say "catch-22" in Mandarin?
jimiki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyTheSaint wrote:
Thanks for the warning. So far, the Korg dealer here in Taiwan is refusing to offer any kind of hardware upgrade service. The excuse is that they have no standard charge available to install a user-supplied SSD, and they also refuse to supply an SSD. The retailer reports that the dealer says they're totally focused on the Kronos X. But that's got to be b.s. because servicing the Kronos X means servicing possible SSD failures and reinstallations, right? I mean, they could just charge their standard hourly labor rate to do an installation that's not currently on their official menu. After this warning, I'm going to break some serious balls to get the retailer to break some serious balls to get the dealer to step up. The retailer has already reported to me that a Kronos 88 power user recently messed up his axe's playability doing a DIY. Does anyone know how to say "catch-22" in Mandarin?

Bro,
Surprising that Chinese men dont want business..... Laughing .. No offense.... Please search the forum and do upgrades carefully abiding instructions posted by members...or take a help of a computer assembler if you are unsure...
JimmyTheSaint

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it is surprising. That's what makes me think it's some sort of bureaucratic issue with the Korg dealer not being able to do anything that's not by the book. I do have lots of experience assembling computers, but if this assembly is too "touch sensitive" and it took an experienced person 45 minutes of very careful work, that's definitely outside my comfort zone.
lotty1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: how to disassemble? Reply with quote

JimmyTheSaint wrote:
I've seen disassembly instructions on these boards before, but I can't find it now with the search function. Can someone point to where the relevant thread is describing how to disassemble, what screws to remove, etc?

Please see Sharp Posts he has created video on this subject ie fitting second hardrive etc
johnnydr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a stick of ram in mine the other day, and I'm by no means "tech savvy", I just followed Sharps instructions and I was fine. Very Happy
JimmyTheSaint

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: piece of cake Reply with quote

Thanks to this board's info, I successfully clean-installed a 120GB single-SSD 2.0.2 system, no problems. Boot time = 2:25. Since mine's a 61, it's no different from doing computer installation type stuff. Yes, you have to remove the SSD bracket to swap or install SSD's. Most of the time was spent screwing and unscrewing the back plate. Finally, I have one screw hole that simply will not re-align, so I'm leaving that hole empty--call me a daredevil. But my Kronos does no traveling and stays in one place in the studio, so I'm not too worried.

Thus ends my upgrade from Taiwan saga.
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: piece of cake Reply with quote

JimmyTheSaint wrote:
Thanks to this board's info, I successfully clean-installed a 120GB single-SSD 2.0.2 system, no problems. Boot time = 2:25. Since mine's a 61, it's no different from doing computer installation type stuff. Yes, you have to remove the SSD bracket to swap or install SSD's. Most of the time was spent screwing and unscrewing the back plate. Finally, I have one screw hole that simply will not re-align, so I'm leaving that hole empty--call me a daredevil. But my Kronos does no traveling and stays in one place in the studio, so I'm not too worried.

Thus ends my upgrade from Taiwan saga.

If a hole does not align try inserting a tapered screwdriver or any one that will fit and very gently pry the pieces into alignment That usually works.

Probably too late now but for future reference.
Ojustaboo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loosen the other screws a bit, that should allow a little movement to allow the hole to line up.
JimmyTheSaint

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I reassembled, I first put all the screws in loosely, then went around tightening. But even when they were all in loosely, that one annoying one wouldn't line up no matter how much I jiggled. I suppose taking all the screws out and putting them in in a different order might also work. I'm not confident to try prying gently because as described above because I'd probably end up damaging a thread. In any case, I'm just going to leave it until the next time I have an occasion to open it. I should mention I also installed the additional RAM.
JimmyTheSaint

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now with big-boy SSD and RAM, I went and purchased EXs-12. To specify Taiwan in the payment details, Korg makes you choose "Taiwan, Province of China." Those madcap Japanese! You can start a war talking like that here.
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyTheSaint wrote:
When I reassembled, I first put all the screws in loosely, then went around tightening. But even when they were all in loosely, that one annoying one wouldn't line up no matter how much I jiggled. I suppose taking all the screws out and putting them in in a different order might also work. I'm not confident to try prying gently because as described above because I'd probably end up damaging a thread. In any case, I'm just going to leave it until the next time I have an occasion to open it. I should mention I also installed the additional RAM.

Loosening the other screws ought to have done the trick.

Sometimes there is one odd size screw (from another area)? Perhaps you mixed them up somehow? It can happen.

Using something to align the screw hole usually works (like a screwdriver - small on of course) You need only apply very very gentle sideways pressure to align the holes. I use a tapered blade which is for starting holes before drilling.

I just assembled a mixer stand that came with no assembly instructions and very very poor pictures (even on the web - not even on the box itself). I had to re-align several pieces including loosening some screws in order to get it assembled.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: