Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA4X vs T5 basic comparison
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: PA4X vs T5 basic comparison Reply with quote

PA4x vs TYROS5 differences

-Weight 16,3 vs 16kg Tyros is slightly lighter ….. +1T
-touchscreen vs non touch ….. +1K
-Graphics Tyros screen looks much much better …..+1T
-Soundsource EDS with DNC vs AWM2 with SA1 (T5 also has SA2 and Ensemble)….. +2T
-Virtuall drawbar organ vs Organworld….. +1T
-piano moddeling with string resonance and damper resonance on Korg only +1K
-5,1 GB PCM samples vs 760 MB….. +1K
-400 Mb vs 2GB max user samples ….. +1T
-10 effects vs 9+3 effects (also T5 has many more effects types) ….. +1T
-Max audio mastering engine only on Korg …..+1K
-Guitar mode 2 vs Megavoices(guitar mode 2 is playable, Mega voices are versatile)Draw
-Styleformats (Yamaha has Session, freeplay and audio styles)….. +1T
-Korg has more buttons like for bass inversion and tempo lock…. +1K
-Korg has Chord sequencer….. +1K
-Duall player vs single player ….. +1K
-Songbook vs Music finder ….. +1K
-Korg has ribbon, more sliders and half damper pedal ….. +1K
-Deep edditabillity vs basic edditing ….. +1K
-TC Helicon Vocalist vs VH2 ….. +1K

So far its PA4x=10 vs Tyros5=7 (not that these numbers mean anything)

if anything else comes up, feel free to shoot and i will add it to the list
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can user samples be streamed on the Pa4X. If so then Korg would score a point in that category.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bald Eagle wrote:
Can user samples be streamed on the Pa4X. If so then Korg would score a point in that category.

No answer on that one... If so, it would put the pa3x atleast level with the T5, if not despite the numbers i stay in love with the T5

Actually i was surprised by this comparisson, how many great things Korg has to offer above the T5, but the things i love most about T5 sadly are not on the Pa3x, ensemble, sa2,organ world, session and freeplay type styles..

And the community of Yamaha seems more social, less pro players but more home musicians that just adds a different attitude. People are more willing to share their experience and self created styles and such. Overhere the attitude is more professional, seems Korg indeed is mostly used by pro players, but many of them are mostly in the race to make some money.. And less inclined to share their stuff for free.

But i couldnt give Yamaha points for that, could i?
Dikikeys

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's not really fair to compare basic synthesis engine 'types'... A lot of that is mere marketing hype. The bottom line is always, how GOOD does it sound? SA2, DNC, there isn't much to choose between the two... it's the SAMPLES that Yamaha have leveraged to make those great SA2 sounds that makes the difference, not the underlying engine, right? Point to Yamaha, but not for the reason I think you mean...

Despite huge leaps forward in sample synthesis types, there are still many sound libraries for legacy samplers (Kurzweil's spring to mind!) that blow much more modern things away... It isn't always about acronyms, it's about how well recorded the samples were in the first place, how playable they were programmed... and whether the user has full access to those synthesis types for his own custom voices. Just that alone is a point to Korg, I'd say!

You can also do Session, freeplay and audio styles on a Korg. They just don't CALL them that! And the way to achieve them may be a hair different. But the capability is there. I'd call that one a tie, with a SLIGHT lean towards Tyros for making it a bit easier... and providing the styles. Korg only need to make the styles to equal Yamaha, the technology already exists, right?

And, personally, only adding one point for the Chord Sequencer, without adding extra points for the fact that now they can be Saved and Linked to Songbook entries (an unbelievably powerful addition) is selling it a bit short!

And a whole point for just a .3kg weight drop (barely noticeable)? Call that one a tie!

I'd definitely give the T5 a point just for Ensemble Mode though... Divisi voice allocation is something Korg needs to add, pronto!

The elephant in the room, though, is the streaming capabilities. We simply don't know enough yet, but this has the potential to negate any perceived advantage Yamaha has with its larger RAM. Let's keep the jury out on that one until we know the details...
snoitan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a T4, own a PA900 and will no doubt own a PA4X in the future. I really miss SA2. I think the technology behind DNC is good and I like how you can really tinker with the sound, but the samples Yamaha plus the engineering they've put into lining those samples up really shows in the instrument, at least in my opinion.
BiHSound

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I do not own a Pa4x nor have I played one yet. I did however own most of the major Korg Pa arrangers, including the Pa3x. Last year I purchased a Tyros 5 and to be honest I did not know what to expect as the last Yamaha arranger I owned prior to this one was a PSR9000. Now that I am very familiar with it I must say that I am truly happy with the arranger and I have no plans of purchasing another until this one breaks down, which I hope will be in a VERY long time. Below is my list of the things I like about Tyros 5, and Pa3x. I hope it will help some of you make decisions on your next purchase.

Just to make it clear, both Tyros 5 and Pa3x are excellent arrangers; probably the best at the moment. Purchasing any of the two, or both, you will not regret.

What I like about Tyros 5:
- Tyros 5 supports a 1GB module for user samples (a 2GB third-party module also exists).
- Tyros 5 can load multiple SETs from which you can mix the sounds within performances any way you wish.
For example, if you have 3 Tyros SETs you can load all 3 as long as the total size of the samples does not surpass the module limit (1GB or 2GB). From each SET you can also load only sounds/styles you like.
- Tyros 5 virtually has no limit to number of user voices that can be stored (128 per pack/set).
- Tyros 5 voices and SETs are created using an official PC application. This application enables you to transfer SETs to tyros wirelessly or via usb.
- Tyros 5 styles are individual files, not a user bank. You can have as many as you want and organize them within folders, virtually no limit.
- Tyros 5 internal recorder records the performances as WAV, not as MP3.
- Tyros 5 includes audio styles made of loops from real performing musicians. You can purchase and load others, which are stored onto a separate 128MB memory (not the 1GB/2GB user samples module).
- Tyros 5 has 2 MIDI in/out ports, therefore it can control 2 external MIDI devices.
- It takes about 5 seconds for Tyros 5 to fully boot up on power on.
- Tyros 5 shuts off fully, there is no battery recharging mode.
- The OS is great and I have not come across a single bug yet.
- Yamaha support and their online store are truly excellent, top of the line.

What I like about Pa3x:
- Korg Pa3x case is made out of aluminum.
- Korg Pa3x has a dual midi/song player.
- Korg Pa3x has a touch screen, but much smaller than the one on Tyros 5.
- Korg Pa3x MIDI routing is more advanced as it can be performance oriented, whereas on Tyros the settings are only Global.
- Korg Pa3x has the portamento feature very similar to the 80s style synths, often used in music from Balkans region.
- Korg Pa3x includes the pro Maxx Audio and TC Helicon features.
- Korg Pa3x is MUCH cheaper than Tyros 5.
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BiHSound wrote:

What I like about Tyros 5:
- Tyros 5 supports a 1GB module for user samples (a 2GB third-party module also exists).........

Great points.

Dikikeys

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, again, until we fully know the details about the sample streaming in the PA4x, this may not be the difference it looks like...

BTW, forgive my ignorance, but how long does it take to load up 2GB of samples in a T5? There may be a huge advantage to a smaller RAM but streaming loading rather than a larger RAM but impractical load times...

Am I mistaken, or are audio styles in the Yamaha restricted to audio drums and percussion? I was not aware that live playing loops could be chord and pitch changed on the fly (a la Audya), which a guitar loop or horn part would need to be, right? It looks like you can now do at least the drums and percussion loop thing on the PA4X fairly easily.

Once again, the advantage that Yamaha gets is related to the CONTENT, not the underlying technology, right? They excel at creating playable SA2 instruments, or providing ready made audio styles, but it isn't a result of superior technology, simply a better content creation team. This is something Korg could take a big leaf out of. If there's one thing about the majority of the arranger market, it's that they prefer things spoon-fed to them, if possible. Twisted Evil

Understandable, of course... few have the time, the skill and the patience to put a large collection of styles or sounds together using the tools that Korg already provide (and due to rampant piracy, few make them for others commercially) to do audio styles, freeplay styles, killer DNC sounds etc.. I keep saying, over and over... Content is King. The reason some legacy arrangers are still looked back on fondly wasn't necessarily the technology, but simply that they had a killer (for the time) collection of STYLES (and sounds)...

It's kind of sad that piracy has basically put things to the point that the only time we get a significant leap forward in usable, great quality styles is when a new model comes out... Think about it for a moment. If you have a PA3X, you still have the technology to have tons of new styles at least as good as the ROM styles that came with it. But where are they..? They are in the PA4X, because Korg know that, unless they make you buy a new arranger to get them, they'll never make enough off of those new styles to make it pay (they will be copied and 'shared' the minute they hit the street).

Unfortunately, it looks like the PA4X still hasn't addressed the basic need of professional content providers... a 'protected' RAM area where licensed new styles can be uploaded to by secure delivery, and can't be 'shared'. The current cumbersome SD Card way of doing SET's isn't really practical for styles (isn't really practical for sounds, in truth, because it's one SET per Card, right?).

Content sells arrangers. Content, content, content.

Where are the features that would make the supply explode?
AdmirR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyros5 Registrations memory are much more powerfull compare Korg Perfomenance.
Tyros5 can play MIDI song and STYLE and MP3 at same time...
Tyros5 have Audio Multi pads...
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi AdmirR
Quote:

Firstly - not arguing - actually interested in feedback and these are just MY views.

Interesting views - thanks.
I am really open to learning (i.e. there may well be things I missed or didn't realise) but one main reason I got rid of my Tyros was how unfriendly it was in terms of performance.
I found the "Registrations" to be horrible and archaic - what was I missing? (serious question)
Control surface and screen structure so incredibly annoying when playing live or recording when you need instant control over some important features.
I know this has all been said before however I use bass inversion and tempo lock (for live style switching) quite a lot and so Tyros was a complete failure in that regard as per Bachus's list above.
I use DNC a lot and found Tyros SA features often out of control for my purposes.

Trying to think of when I might need MP3, MIDI song and STYLE simultaneously - to me that seems crazy BUT I can't ever think of a use for that for me - but that's just me - would love some examples.

Audio multipads - nice - could use that on occasions.

I appreciate that the Tyros has some very nice sounds but I am only about 20% in justifying owning one - I hope one day Tyros becomes a competitor (in my eyes) to other professional arrangers as well as reasonably priced.

I also appreciate that many Tyros owners would dislike the Korg PA series.

It's all personal I know!! Very Happy

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyros5 have Audio Multi pads ?

What's that?

AdmirR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam CA wrote:
Tyros5 have Audio Multi pads ?

What's that?

You can create and play audio multi pads directly from HD

Last edited by AdmirR on Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:47 am; edited 1 time in total
AdmirR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Hi AdmirR
Quote:

Firstly - not arguing - actually interested in feedback and these are just MY views.

Interesting views - thanks.
I am really open to learning (i.e. there may well be things I missed or didn't realise) but one main reason I got rid of my Tyros was how unfriendly it was in terms of performance.
I found the "Registrations" to be horrible and archaic - what was I missing? (serious question)
Pete Very Happy

Hi karmathanever

Can you explain please why unfriendly?
On gig I play Tyros only trough registrations.If you use them right ,there is nothing more powerfull then Registrations.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dikikeys wrote:
But, again, until we fully know the details about the sample streaming in the PA4x, this may not be the difference it looks like...

BTW, forgive my ignorance, but how long does it take to load up 2GB of samples in a T5? There may be a huge advantage to a smaller RAM but streaming loading rather than a larger RAM but impractical load times...

Am I mistaken, or are audio styles in the Yamaha restricted to audio drums and percussion? I was not aware that live playing loops could be chord and pitch changed on the fly (a la Audya), which a guitar loop or horn part would need to be, right? It looks like you can now do at least the drums and percussion loop thing on the PA4X fairly easily.

Once again, the advantage that Yamaha gets is related to the CONTENT, not the underlying technology, right? They excel at creating playable SA2 instruments, or providing ready made audio styles, but it isn't a result of superior technology, simply a better content creation team. This is something Korg could take a big leaf out of. If there's one thing about the majority of the arranger market, it's that they prefer things spoon-fed to them, if possible. Twisted Evil

Understandable, of course... few have the time, the skill and the patience to put a large collection of styles or sounds together using the tools that Korg already provide (and due to rampant piracy, few make them for others commercially) to do audio styles, freeplay styles, killer DNC sounds etc.. I keep saying, over and over... Content is King. The reason some legacy arrangers are still looked back on fondly wasn't necessarily the technology, but simply that they had a killer (for the time) collection of STYLES (and sounds)...

It's kind of sad that piracy has basically put things to the point that the only time we get a significant leap forward in usable, great quality styles is when a new model comes out... Think about it for a moment. If you have a PA3X, you still have the technology to have tons of new styles at least as good as the ROM styles that came with it. But where are they..? They are in the PA4X, because Korg know that, unless they make you buy a new arranger to get them, they'll never make enough off of those new styles to make it pay (they will be copied and 'shared' the minute they hit the street).

Unfortunately, it looks like the PA4X still hasn't addressed the basic need of professional content providers... a 'protected' RAM area where licensed new styles can be uploaded to by secure delivery, and can't be 'shared'. The current cumbersome SD Card way of doing SET's isn't really practical for styles (isn't really practical for sounds, in truth, because it's one SET per Card, right?).

Content sells arrangers. Content, content, content.

Where are the features that would make the supply explode?

When you switch on T5 the whole instrument including the 2Gb flash is available in like 5 secconds, no more logn stratup even with 2Gb of extra samples on your falsh memmory (for the T5 it just works like ROm memmory)

Loading a whole different set of samples however ontoo the flash board takes much time.. depending on how big the sample set is.. So as a performer, you are stuck with 2Gb of extra sounds during your performance, which however is far more then most will ever need.

You are right, T5 is audio drums only, personally i am not a fan however of audio styles, they are static by nature, while the future of styles should go towards styles being more dynamic, i prefer Session styles for that, as htey react to the musicians playing...

You are right about Yamaha being kings of content.. great stuff inthere, but i also love the way tehy are devloping the AWM engine, expanding it with many advanced virtualization technollogies.. like AEM for effecst EAM which is comparable to DNC and EAM2 which is the SA2 virtualization, then there is SCM for damper and snare resonance and more viertuall technollogies for piano and VRM for E-pianos and then there are the new VAM (virtuall analog modeling which adds virtuall oscilators as ellements into AWM and new filters) and AFM, which gives you up to 8 FM blocks in your ellements..And offcourse the organ engine, also seen in the reface YC and the ensemble soundsets.. Yamaha is taking the AWM engine into the next century when it comes to their synthesis engine..

Mow they are spreading these technollogies quite thin, but i am expecting to see a Motif replacement that has all these technollogies inthere and also have user access to edditing them

And their styles are also getting up there, with session styles and freeplay styles that react almost dynamically to your playing, and the new DJ styles that come with a build in chordsequence.. with a chordsequencer being probably the next step for T6.

Tough in the end i totally agree that content makes Arrangers, in the end one would wish for an appstore like interface where you could get content directly into your arranger from an online store...and yes, users could also put up self created free content inthere..
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi AdmirR
AdmirR wrote:
Can you explain please why unfriendly?
On gig I play Tyros only trough registrations.If you use them right ,there is nothing more powerfull then Registrations.

I found the registrations like going back several years - dealing with numbers - I much prefer the ability to create performance set lists (full registration including the ability to display song structure notes/chords arrangement, tempos, start up settings, key transpose etc… selection by actual song name not numbers).

Here's a nice demo on how to create Registrations on T4
https://youtu.be/kTezAE86ftk

- BUT how is one expected to "remember" what is where when you're gigging and you've created 200 registrations?
That was my point (again - personal needs) - as I asked above
I wrote:

I am seriously keen to know if I have missed something here and NOT picking a PA/Tyros fight Very Happy
On my PA my set list is displayed in front of me in the song sequence I choose for the gig and can be modified in a few seconds and I can switch set lists in a second.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: