Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pa4x release date
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dikikeys

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's be honest though, Eduardo...

An arranger isn't designed to be a WS. Yes, you can SORT of get away with using it that way. Same as you CAN use a fork as a knife... It's not designed to be one, so it is hardly surprising it doesn't do the job as well or as efficiently. And try using a knife as a fork... sure, you COULD, but be prepared to cut your mouth!

If you need WS features, get a workstation. Personally, I think trying to focus on doing both is what has held up arranger development the last ten years or more. There is so much that needs to be added to the arranger, and none of it has anything to do with using it as a WS. And, in the days of VSTis, computers cheap and powerful enough to do entire production in the box, why do we still get this 'me too' clamoring for stuff that WS's do? When computers do it so much better?

I'll tell you what computers CAN'T do... They suck at being a great live arranger without a prohibitive amount of work. So, let's just let the arranger be an ARRANGER... Idea Wink
Eduardo_Arg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dikikeys:

Both say the same, but with different words.-
As you see, i have myself 2 WS (Triton & M3), so my afirmations becomes as a prof. user.- This does not mean, that a new keyb could surprise me Very Happy..
If i have the chance i'll test a PA4X just to know about it.-
Although i won't invest (at actual prices from Official Korg Dealer in my country) the value of 2 M3 to buy any arranger.-
As i said, arrangers are made for solo man band.-
With regards.
Eduardo
Wink
Dikikeys

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH, I've got WS's too (K2500S & Triton), but I still do all my band gigging on arrangers as well as solo and duo stuff.

Arrangers are designed to be fast and efficient at selecting sounds, effects, splits and easy part volume control, WS's sadly, are not generally as good. Sure, if you have time to set everything up in advance, you get a bit better sound (depending on what sound it is), but a large number of my band gigs are pickup type... you never know what you'll be playing, who you'll be playing with, or what songs (and what sounds in them) you are going to do.

In those circumstances, I have yet to find a WS that is as easy and as fast to set up the splits and layers on the fly that the tune needs. I tend to always try to play at least two sounds, comping with the left, horns, strings, synths, whatever with the right, so I need to be able to quickly grab what sounds I want on the fly, grab a fader to set it to the right volume, and get back to playing ASAP. Rinse and repeat for every tune!

This is what the arranger excels at!

I still like my WS's at home and the studio, but on the gig, with a full band, my arranger still rocks! (And it doesn't hurt that if the drummer doesn't show, I can still lay down a decent drum part for the band to play to!)
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dikikeys wrote:
TBH, I've got WS's too (K2500S & Triton), but I still do all my band gigging on arrangers as well as solo and duo stuff.

Arrangers are designed to be fast and efficient at selecting sounds, effects, splits and easy part volume control, WS's sadly, are not generally as good. Sure, if you have time to set everything up in advance, you get a bit better sound (depending on what sound it is), but a large number of my band gigs are pickup type... you never know what you'll be playing, who you'll be playing with, or what songs (and what sounds in them) you are going to do.

In those circumstances, I have yet to find a WS that is as easy and as fast to set up the splits and layers on the fly that the tune needs. I tend to always try to play at least two sounds, comping with the left, horns, strings, synths, whatever with the right, so I need to be able to quickly grab what sounds I want on the fly, grab a fader to set it to the right volume, and get back to playing ASAP. Rinse and repeat for every tune!

This is what the arranger excels at!

I still like my WS's at home and the studio, but on the gig, with a full band, my arranger still rocks! (And it doesn't hurt that if the drummer doesn't show, I can still lay down a decent drum part for the band to play to!)

As someone said today on the piano forum... Even witouth styles, arrangers are build for live performance from the core, they are the most advanced keyboard instruments even when compared to workstations...

personally i cant wayt to see how much of the typicall arranger interface will make its way into the upcomming new Yamaha workstation. I would not be surprised if it looked more like a tyros then like a motif

Workstations need to move a bit away from being a mobile recording studio towards being a complete live performace rig.. Because any laptop will outperform the workstation when it comes to recording
Eduardo_Arg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dikikeys:

Now i understand.-
About your WS both are excellent, particulary K2500S; that model was a serius competitor to Triton.-
About adjust split changes and multilayers you need for live situations the solution is "the beast" Kronos 2.- If PA4X price is - as in my country - higher than KRONOS 2, i don't think it more, go to Kronos.-
Although Kronos 2 missed up chord button (i have it on my M3) which lets you play stored chords or sequences, if you conect a nanopad you'll be able to shot instantly chords or sequences.- At the same time Kronos lets you split keyb on up to 16 zones overlaping or not and velocity sensitive.-
Unfortunatly growing up to "the best" is too much money, if not without any doubt i'll go to it.-
You are right, about spending some time setting up the WS in advance, but something excellent stuff that Kronos have is: you can change to a new sound without "cutting" that one is being played, new sound overlaps previous one without cutting it; for instant sound changes (as in M3 or Oasys) you ha a double pedal that lets you go up & down on your sounds set list (with multilayers or multisplits), and perhaps the best thing i found on M3 sound engine (also in Kronos) is that you can (in combi mode) program in multilayered sound that a sound will sound on a particular note and not on all (f. ex. you may want a sound on G and on 3 a not on the other notes).-
Although is the a way to do that on PA arrangers programing OSC of a sound, on Kronos (and M3) this function is more versatile.-
Diky keep your PA3x, but if you can invest PA4X price, for the same money go to Kronos 2.-
With regards.
Eduardo
Dikikeys

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Roland arrangers (at even the BOTL) do seamless sound switching already (and hands free Performance changing from pedals). You also have up to seven keys you can dedicate to audio loops (or trigger those from pedals or MIDI, too) on the BK-9. That you have to get to the TOTL Kronos before you get this from Korg isn't exactly something to shout about!

As I said... live, use an arranger. Studio, use whatever works best.

Live, you rarely really need to set up a 16 way split! On the vast majority of tunes, a simple 2 way split is enough. There's far too much risk of accidentally playing across the split point with 3 or 4 or more. Plus, try remembering where 16 way splits are placed on a multitude of setups! Best of luck! Twisted Evil

But the seamless Performance change is a must have. I simply cannot understand anyone tolerating a sound cutoff as you change Performances in the 21st century...

Live, I've been a 'one keyboard' player for 25 years or so. Sure, be nice to have a Kronos, an arranger AND a master keyboard with a ton of VSTi's attached. But it wouldn't really change anything enough to warrant the expense and transport and setup times. 90+% of your act is still YOU, no matter how much or how little gear you use... Cool
eli125

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eduardo_Arg wrote:
Just to see how mad they are, Kronos 2x 88 price is: U$S 3250
maybe this year is coming a new kronos
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eli125 wrote:
Eduardo_Arg wrote:
Just to see how mad they are, Kronos 2x 88 price is: U$S 3250
maybe this year is coming a new kronos

nO THE kRONOS GOT A SLIGHT MODEL UPDATE LAST YEAR...
DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can report that the new Ketron SD7 does have seamless sound changes. You can hold a note down, change sounds, and play the new sound on different keys, and it sounds great every time.
If Ketron can do it, you'd think a BIG company such as Korg could too.
DonM
quinn47

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: USA Ship date Reply with quote

eli125 wrote:
korg told me today the shipping to usa starts in October.

I have had one on order in the US since 21 Sept.
I am now being told that my PA4X-76 Pro should ship on 29 Jan 2016. Why the delay? Is this really the same design that was released in Europe in April 2015?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: