Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Official Korg Poll for KRONOS users
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your age, and do you primarily use your KRONOS in live performance, or in the studio/at home? (Please answer only if you own or use a KRONOS).
17 or younger, Live Performance
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
17 or younger, Studio or Home
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
18-25, Live Performance
1%
 1%  [ 3 ]
18-25, Studio or Home
1%
 1%  [ 4 ]
26-34, Live Performance
4%
 4%  [ 10 ]
26-34, Studio or Home
5%
 5%  [ 11 ]
35-44, Live Performance
9%
 9%  [ 19 ]
35-44, Studio or Home
12%
 12%  [ 25 ]
45-54, Live Performance
11%
 11%  [ 24 ]
45-54, Studio or Home
21%
 21%  [ 44 ]
55 and up, Live Performance
9%
 9%  [ 20 ]
55 and up, Studio or Home
21%
 21%  [ 44 ]
Total Votes : 204

danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:33 am    Post subject: Official Korg Poll for KRONOS users Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm interested to find out a little about how old our users are, and how people use our instruments. If you can take a moment to answer this poll, it would be really helpful for our future development. Thank you!
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com

Last edited by danatkorg on Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
PatrickD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real Old. Very Old. Man I'm Old!
CUBASE 11.5 Halion 6
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I originally bought the Kronos to use in a live context, but then realised that there wasn't enough room on stage for it and the "singer"/guitarist's ego.

Now it forms the heart of my home studio, and I (perhaps oddly) prefer using it to a computer sequencer due to its extremely low audio latency, rock-solid MIDI timing and it being a distraction-free environment. Sometimes less is more - and not having the option of downloading a new VST every thirty seconds is quite a liberating experience! Also, I spend all day on a computer at work - the last thing I want to do when I get home is use a computer to make music, with all the maintenance that entails.

Together with some a MOTU MIDI interface, I can use it to simultaneously sequence the five other hardware synths I have without having to turn on the computer at all.

Love my Kronos, it is one of the best things I've ever spent money on.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
ahutnick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the days when a sampler with 8MB of RAM was considered state of the art!
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like all check box polls, it's a little black and white. Smile

I use the Kronos both in the studio and for live work in equal measure, so a "both" would have been handy!

It's a great live board, which has reduced the amount of things I take out. All it now needs is MIDI Echo (I've requested it via Korg UK), and it would be (mostly) perfect!

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm shocked to find I'm the youngest live performer (so far)!
levioter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
You should wait a little before to conclude !
May be us older ones had more time to answer this poll instead of going to summer activities ? Cool

Cheers Very Happy
gjvti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my answer would be home, live, mobile, but looks that there is no plans to make beautiful Kronos engines available to those who are on road. I'm over 45.
arne v

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
My kronos is used at home and home only since im not a proffesional musician. Been playing for 29 years (i am 43). Smile
Have had several korg products, but have stuck with the Kronos.
For me the Kronos it the "all i one" box. I do not need an auto arranger, but the flexibillity and challenges the Kronos offers.
This instrument goes so deep that you have to take a red pill to see how deep the rabbithole goes Smile

It depends on my mood how i use my Kronos, some days i just use the pianos, other days i use and play only the "analog" sounds and pads, some days i can experiment with drums or just rythmic sounds so im all over the map when it comes to usage Smile
One thing i miss for future instruments is more polyphony and ram and maybe a karma upgrade?
I remember Mr Kay answering this once in here, but cant recall exactly what the reply was

regards
avr
Pedja
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too old too rock'n'roll too young to die (Jethro Tull). I am over 59, and I really recovered my music life with this instrument. It make me happy (some things, sometimes, made me angry, but at all, much time I am happy with it).
I am not professional musician and I started to played piano when I was 10. years old (late to be really good pianist and till now I have a defect with my left hand). For years I owned Binson organ and Wurlitzer 200A e. piano. But, for 20. years I have stopped to play (because of very bad circumstances in my country, and I feel, more to cry then to play). One day I made decision to sell Wurlitzer (I always like more Fender Rhodes sound).
First I bought M-Audio e. piano and I was very disappointing with all specially with keys. I returned it to music shop and changed for Kurzweil PC3LE8, I fall in love with this instrument in first glace (play, specially impressed with keyboard). After that, for two years I watched all movies about Kronos (on YouTube), and I made decision to buy it. But in my country it is not so easy, and I spent one year to realize bought.
I specially use Kronos for my improvisations (I am jazz oriented), Kurzweil PC3LE8 is controller for Kronos (because of better keyboard and 88. keys). I am very bad in sound design and other stuff (sequencing, sampling, combi making...). Till know, I didn't use any DAW with Kronos but I will do this one day. I have last OS 3.0.3 and it's better and better in every new revision. I have some reproach with some drum sounds in combis (some of them still have noise). I like combis very much and I prefer to use with Kurzweil sounds. This two instrument is very good combination. I only play at my home.
Thanks for your attention, for my long comment, and good luck to all Kronos guys.
My music: https://soundcloud.com/pedjak-1
http://moca.virtual.museum/autogallery2017/autogallery_kalajdzijevic/
http://moca.virtual.museum/dablog/dablog02.htm
http://moca.virtual.museum/autogallery2019/autogallery_kalajdzijevic/
https://www.saatchiart.com/PedjaK
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahutnick wrote:
I remember the days when a sampler with 8MB of RAM was considered state of the art!

I remember when it was state of the art to load samples from 5.25 floppies.

I remember being excited when Ensoniq finally released the EPS 4X RAM expansion cartridge, quadrupling RAM to an entire megabyte. I used the EPS for live performance. I used to go through and delete individual samples for notes that weren't played in individual songs so that I could fit more instruments into memory. I used a drum machine and a piano module to free up memory in the EPS for other sounds. Each song in a set had to be loaded from a 3.5 floppy disk. I had separate floppies for each song containing the sequence and instruments/samples needed. I needed to rehearse the floppy disk swaps/loads to be sure that each song loaded correctly. If one song didn't delete the correct instruments from the previous song, it would give a "not enough memory" prompt. Each song took 45 seconds to load. I'd had verbal banter planned for each song to fill the gaps.

I was so glad when I got the 01/W pro. One keyboard, 10 songs loaded and no modules - what a miracle!

All of this is why I don't get too excited about the time it takes a Kronos to boot. It's well worth the wait.
marc1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the average Kronos user is 30+, musically trained and socialized when hardware synths and samplers were still in their heyday.

The musical reality of today is rather different, though. I know this has been mentioned a million times before and I don't want to turn the discussion in another software vs. Kronos debate.

Personally, I love the Kronos. But I also see room for improvement which is a good thing for Korg, since this keeps them in business.
Add more ambience drums (well, you never can have enough drums), improve the sequencer and overall DAW integration.
Probably it's just me but I still have to figure out how to trasmit audio over usb without either recording the click track of Cubase or without getting audio overloads.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember, around 1987, when in the music instruments shops, sellers were discovering for the first time the Atari ST, its mouse and Pro24. Their eyes wide open : "Hey ?!?! What the hell is that ?!?!?"
[/img]

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a good portion are older, gigging musicians.

This means the next Kronos should be lighter, much lighter Wink
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:

Yeah, what's wrong with you!? You should be using a laptop connected via USB to Novation and Akai loop-making mini-devices for live EDM. Why are you using old-school bread and butter sounds performed using old-school musical chops? Whassa matta you?

Wink

Kidding aside, it just goes to show how talented and accomplished you are!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: