Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos for audio rec. : questions from a prospective buyer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MartinMcNeil

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Kronos for audio rec. : questions from a prospective buyer Reply with quote

For a while now I've been considering getting a hardware multitrack recorder as a more immediate solution than a PC based DAW; with this in mind, I'd been eyeing up the Tascam DP32SD and its newly announced sibling, the DP24SD. It would be used to record audio from my PC3K8, Gaia and RK-100s

However, I happened upon a review of the Kronos V2 and noticed that it can record sixteen tracks of audio to an onboard SSD... so although the Kronos would be significantly more expensive than any multitracker, the fact that I'd have an expanded sonic palette to call upon has obvious appeal.

So: what I'd like to know from real-world users is how easy (or not) it is to use the Kronos for audio recording, with the ultimate intention of exporting to MP3 or other audio formats, especially when being used as part of a multi-keyboard setup.

Also, I trust that MIDI tracks as sequenced on a Kronos can also be mixed down to the internal SSD as audio for eventual export as MP3?

For what it's worth, I'm considering either the '61 or '73 key versions, leaning towards the former with regards to budget and physical space considerations.

Many thanks in advance for suggestions, advice and tips!
Rigel

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martin, welcome to the forum,

I have the Yamaha AW1600, Boss micro BR 80, and the Kronos for my multitrack purposes. I never have had a DAW system, always do things the old school way.

**AW1600 has 8 phantom powered inputs. Kronos and micro BR has only unpowered L/R inputs, so realtime multichannel recording is possible only on the AW1600 (unless you use an extra mixer for the other two)

**AW1600 and Kronos has less than satisfactory graphical representation of the recorded track (compared to a DAW), though both have splendid displays. Editing on both of them is fine. Track content graph is almost nonexistent on the Boss, but editing is still okay.

**All of them has a very high quality sound (ad/da conversion is so good, that only very trained ears or analytical machines could tell the difference. All recordings and playbacks are identical on my many tests. That's very impressive for the Boss which you can carry in your pocket.

**Kronos SSD recorder is always available, very easy to use, needs only a few clicks to record those wonderful on board synths.

**None of these three devices will deliver an mp3 track/song/file, nor will accept it. Though the case with Boss is a little bit complicated.

**All three is capable of a final mixdown with plenty of control over the result (Kronos can mixdown Midi tracks as well), but only my Yammy AW1600 and the Kronos will produce an audio CD, that you can give to your new girlfriend as a present☺

Nowadays, I almost solely use the Kronos to jam, compose, rattle, bang, blast and record !.. Once you get used to it, Kronos recording is very easy and fun.
Korg KronosX73, Kurzweil PC3K6, Roland V-Synth GT, Kawai K5000S, Waldorf Blofeld, Novation Ultranova, Behringer Neutron, Yamaha HS80M, Boss Micro BR80, Zoom H6, Sony PCM D100, Tascam DP32SD, Mackie 1202VLZ4, Zoom MS-70CDR, Rode NT1, Sony MDR 7506.
spaceman3
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the KRONOS 16 track audio recorder along with the KRONOS 16 midi tracks.
It works realy great and i have 32 total tracks, and the KRONOS has i high resolution sequencer so you can do anything with it.
The automation in the sequencer is very powerfull in the KRONOS.
Kicks the crap out of my old Roland vs 2400.
You can automate everthing on the KRONOS.
I dont think the tascam has automation,but im not sure.
The KRONOS records audio tracks in 16 or 24 bit resolution, with 32 bit internal mixing.
It sounds nice and punchy.
Even though the KRONOS has a fairly steep learning curve, the integration of everything somehow simplifies things, and its tight!
For me, the KRONOS has changed my life,(musicaly speaking)
It is an entire studio with a universe of endless sound options.
Its all there, within the KRONOS.
Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rigel wrote:

but only my Yammy AW1600 and the Kronos will produce an audio CD, that you can give to your new girlfriend as a present☺

Hahaha you're not shy to admit don't ya such sensitive information. I was expecting Pluggers , Producers , Record Labels or what not but GF that is cute :DDD

Korg MW1, Casio PX5S & XW-G1, Roland JD-Xi,Yamaha Montage 7, Roland D-05, Bass Station II, Cubase Elements, Sonar X3 Producer.Handfull of IOs Apps iMPC,Animoog : Korg IMS-20,Module, IM1, Gadget etc.
MartinMcNeil

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rigel and spaceman3, thank you both for your insights. I've spent a little time digging around YouTube, watching videos that show a little bit of the audio recording function in action.

The one thing that I couldn't find out, though, is whether the audio inputs on the Kronos are mono or stereo TRS. It's an important consideration as I'd be recording stereo output from my other keyboards.

Assuming that they're mono inputs, I'm guessing that recording a stereo source requires that both inputs be used simultaneously, recording to two separate tracks - so a further guess is that simultaneous recording using both inputs is possible?
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inputs are mono balanced.
MartinMcNeil

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so mono inputs - thanks, SanderXpander

Still leaves the other question: can you record audio from both inputs simultaneously, with each input (obviously) routed to a different destination track?
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

The digital optical in is stereo by the way.
MartinMcNeil

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander - thanks for that info, greatly appreciated!

My PC3K8 has an S/P DIF output which can run at 24-bit up to 192kHz, so connecting it to the Kronos' input should simply be a matter of matching up the sample rates and having the L/R split over two tracks for best stereo imaging.

This would free me to connect my GAIA and RK-100s on the analog inputs, thus avoiding the need for either a mixer or cable-swapping when recording.

Looks like I'm all set then, with the sole decision now being whether I opt for the 61 or 73 key version Very Happy
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that it's an optical in, not a coaxial S/PDIF, and that the Kronos is fixed at 48KHz. Other than that, it should work great!
MartinMcNeil

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's just f'n brilliant; figures that the S/P DIF output on my PC3K8 would be the coaxial type, with the Kronos sporting a TOSLINK input connector Rolling Eyes

At least coax-to-TOSLINK converter boxes are inexpensive Wink
vivi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have got to make tutorials! I beg you! There are o lot really basic tutorials on how to use the Kronos. I love the Kronos sounds but I struggle very much.
For example with external libraries. They all load into the same bank overwriting was was previously loaded. So I thought I can simple record midis then immediately bounce it to a track. I just can’t figure out how.
The manual doesn’t really cover that.

spaceman3 wrote:
It works realy great and i have 32 total tracks, and the KRONOS has i high resolution sequencer so you can do anything with it.
The KRONOS records audio tracks in 16 or 24 bit resolution, with 32 bit internal mixing.
Even though the KRONOS has a fairly steep learning curve, the integration of everything somehow simplifies things, and its tight!
vivi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have got to make tutorials! I beg you! There are o lot really basic tutorials on how to use the Kronos. I love the Kronos sounds but I struggle very much.
For example with external libraries. They all load into the same bank overwriting was was previously loaded. So I thought I can simple record midis then immediately bounce it to a track. I just can’t figure out how.

spaceman3 wrote:
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the last issued Tascam SD series recorder there are absolutely not any MIDI connection interface and MIDI sync possibility. Many month ago I have written to TASCAM retailers and they confirm that in the advertisement brochures, TACAM has omitted to point this fact : No MIDI input and output.
So I have kept my old AW1600. But now my DAW and my Kronos are perfect compagnons

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
jones

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivi wrote:

qui did a video for that, I use it and it saved my bacon a few times.
the video is easy slow paced so you can do it as you watch.

https://youtu.be/Y-QtAyf98nQ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: