Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Noob Advice For Learning Please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AfxTwn

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject: Noob Advice For Learning Please Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I am thinking of getting an MS 20 Mini but I am a beginner with using synthesizers. I have got a bit of a taste with using synths as I already own a Monotribe and a Microkorg but I'd like to learn how to use them properly rather than just turning the knobs and flicking switches until I get a sound I like (or is that the point of synths?).

I watch a lot of the Sonicstate videos and they seem really knowledgeable and I'd love to be able to know what each knob does and how it effects things. I will probably also get an SQ-1 so I can sequence the MS 20.

Anyway, how do I go about learning how to use the synths, are there any good books I could read that show examples or is it a case of just playing with the synth and over time getting familiar with it and naturally learning the instrument?

I love messing about with my Monotribe and Microkorg but the MS 20 seems like a whole other level. I have been really seduced by all the Sonicstate videos of NAMM and MESSE showing modular synths and would love to get into that and so I thought the MS 20 might be a good way to start as it's low cost and is semi-modular.

Thanks for any advice.
Frenzies

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Noob Advice For Learning Please Reply with quote

AfxTwn wrote:
Hi everyone, I am thinking of getting an MS 20 Mini but I am a beginner with using synthesizers. I have got a bit of a taste with using synths as I already own a Monotribe and a Microkorg but I'd like to learn how to use them properly rather than just turning the knobs and flicking switches until I get a sound I like (or is that the point of synths?).

I watch a lot of the Sonicstate videos and they seem really knowledgeable and I'd love to be able to know what each knob does and how it effects things. I will probably also get an SQ-1 so I can sequence the MS 20.

Anyway, how do I go about learning how to use the synths, are there any good books I could read that show examples or is it a case of just playing with the synth and over time getting familiar with it and naturally learning the instrument?

I love messing about with my Monotribe and Microkorg but the MS 20 seems like a whole other level. I have been really seduced by all the Sonicstate videos of NAMM and MESSE showing modular synths and would love to get into that and so I thought the MS 20 might be a good way to start as it's low cost and is semi-modular.

Thanks for any advice.

The best advice I can give you is to go on youtube and find the Automatic Gainsay channel, run by Synth guru Marc Doty. On there you'll find a bunch of old films about the original MS20 and a set of new ones about the MS20 mini. They logically go though the front panel layout and the patch bay showing you what each part does, and Marc is really entertaining. It's not that hard a synth to get your head around if you come at it logically.

Moog Sub 37 - Arturia Microbrute - Roland Gaia SH-01 - Boss DR660 - Akai S1000 - Akai S01 - Yamaha RM1x - Roland SP-404SX

https://soundcloud.com/beardsound
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Read this list of articles. No need to go through them all though. It covers the basics of subtractive synthesis and is general enough for both modular, semimodular, fixed, analog and digital virtual analog synths, whatever brand. It is a bunch and requires some time.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm

You can indeed play around to get some hang on your device, but after reading this you'll better understand what you are doing and what to expect when changing something.

The basic core scheme for the monotribe, microkorg, ms20 and other synths is always the same. (osc -> filter -> amp + LFO). Each of them have their own set of parameters/combinations that can get tweaked and offers therefore other possibilities. A brief overview of the 3 you refer to (in random, no preference order Smile)
Monotribe: analog, 1 voice, 1 osc, knobs to tweak, limited parameters
MS20: analog, 1 voice, 2 osc, knobs and patch cables to tweak
microKorg: virtual analog, 4 voices, 3 osc, limited knobs but quite some parameters to play with using the matrix (virtual patch cables!)

The analogs are more intuitive, hands on to tweak parameters while performing and has the more thick analog sound...

Download/read the manuals to know the exact configuration of the audio path and where you can interact on that path. It helps you to understand what you have today and can expect from the MS20.

Have fun.
AfxTwn

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the replies, they'll prove to be invaluable I'm sure. I'm really looking forward to learning more about synthesis but mostly just to having fun, even if all I end up making are some fart noises lol.
chris-korg

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned a lot from Rob Papen's book/dvd-series "the 4 element synth" - the secrets of subtractive synthesis
Steinberger

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh how I wish the Sound on Sound Synth Secrets series was compiled into a book/pdf format.
LordVampyre

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you all for this information. I too am very new to all of this and I am quite motivated to learn about these machines.
chris-korg

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked in the meanwhile my "music-library" Very Happy

Further books that I can recommend conc. this topic:

Becoming a Synthesizer wizard by Simon Cann (English language)
Synthesizer Programming by Peter Gorges (German language)

Anyhow I do think that Korgs MS20mini and even Korgs Monotribe are excellent synths for "learning" .....
Jamie Munro

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AfxTwn wrote:
Thanks very much for the replies, they'll prove to be invaluable I'm sure. I'm really looking forward to learning more about synthesis but mostly just to having fun, even if all I end up making are some fart noises lol.

You will find the ms20 easier than the microkorg, the microkorg is actually very in depth once you get in it properly.

Although if you have found your way round the microkorg then just apply the same to the ms20, it's just different because the controls are in front of you rather than a menu.

It's very intuitive, and the main thing is, explore. Any output can go into any input. Happy happy.

Plus there's good guys on here that'll help you round it
AfxTwn

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I didn't want to create another one unnecessarily. I have ordered an MS 20 Mini now and it should come next week (it cost just £345 with a free Monotron Delay, bargain!). Seeing as I already have a Monotribe, would it be possible to use that to sequence the MS 20? Presumably I would need the Miditribe kit or would I be better off just buying an SQ1 instead? Bearing in mind that I am in the UK and the cost of buying and importing the Miditribe from the US might be more than just getting an SQ1.

Thanks.
chris-korg

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have both (SQ-1 and amazingmachines Monotribe-mod) and I would go FIRST for the SQ-1 and THEN for the Monotribe-midification.

The SQ-1 mainly for the MS20mini and the Monotribe-midification to dramatically increase the capabilities of your Monotribe Very Happy
AfxTwn

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much, I'll do that then!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG MS20 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: