Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Organ Rotary Switching on Button Press or Sliders
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuben wrote:
Obviously we are not getting a gradual increase in rotor speed this way but it is not too bad a compromise.

Pa3X has only 2 sampled waveforms that are close to B3 , Slow Leslie Hammond & Fast Leslie Hammond as you are all aware of .
Drawbars modeling is completely out of question , so if you want either a fast or slow Leslie Hammond these are the right OSCs to use.

But , in order to develop a real Hammond we need a non Rotary PCM OSC and one of 2-3 optional Rotary effects that all can
be heard decently using the right settings but a real non Leslie B3 sample do not exist in Pa3X since as I mentioned "Drawbars"
is not even close to a Hammond.

So if you want a real Hammond you have either sample a real Hammond with all tone-wheels/percussion/vibr scanner
and develop sound OSC combinations nor purchasing this sound pack http://pastyles.x10.mx/Pa3XSoundLibraries/Vintage%20Organs.html

That's my advice if you want to have a real Hammond in your Pa3X !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sampled a real Hammond but the PA3's Rotary effect is a bit of a let down (not really BAD but not so realistic as I would like)
The rotary effect had improved since the PA2X/PA800.

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
not really BAD but not so realistic as I would like

That's true , Kronos has all required parameters in rotary effects due to come closer , but this is all we have in PaSeries up to present moment !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
MadrasGiaguari

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete,

have you tested Leslie effect 133 (OverDrive)?

Is'nt it better tahn 63?

Angelo Very Happy
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Angelo - gonna do it this weekend !!!

Pete Very Happy
Dikikeys

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweetwater used to sell a Hammond disk for the Kurzweil, with VERY well sampled straight from the direct output waveforms with a really decent variety of common registrations.

As the waveform format for Kurzweil's was the humble .WAV format, it might be quite possible to read those off of that disk, and transfer them to the Korg. Naturally, you'd have to recreate the keymaps, but as essentially there is no layering or overlaps in range, it should be fairly easy to do.

They were pretty good at making sure the sample boundary points came at the notes where drawbar fold-over would occur (and did a good job of approximating the volume curve as you went upstairs) on a real B3, and got a nice beefy sound with just the right amount of contact click.

Overall, until some of the better sims and VSTi's came out, these were my goto Hammond raw sounds (I'd either run them into my ProMotion mini-Leslie, or use the KDFX rotor sim in the K2500, but nowadays, I'd use a Ventilator and the direct outs if doing this on a Korg) and may very well do for the Korg PA3x until Korg port their CX-3 code to the PA4x (hint, hint!).

It may well be worth contacting Sweetwater, and seeing if that disk is still for sale...
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Angelo

YES I AGREE 100% !!! "133" is heaps better

However, how do I use this for DRAWBAR organ - seems to only allow up to about "119".
I may be hugely dumb here but I cannot find a way of selecting the rotary FX for DRAWBAR.
I know you have to really save these as PERFORMANCES but still the FX does not seem to allow "133" to be used.

What am I missing?

Otherwise I am busily changing the rotary on all my other organs!!!!! Very Happy

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
MadrasGiaguari

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Pete,

let me make an example for Leslie 133 applied to Drawbars, using factory source (I customized a lot styles and performance, in Favourited, but don't want to confuse you with to many changes):

Go to Style Mode

Select Latin/Cool Bossa
Save it to a new location where you can freely modify the style WITHOUT altering the factory one (you can save in a FAV or USER location.
To save (sorry if i say things you know; but new members may eventually like detailed indications...):
Record/OK/Top Menu/Write Style/Select/User1/first location (or any different available location/OK/Yes/Record/Yes
Now, you can do any free change in any style parameter.

Go to the 'new' style you have just created.

Tap on STS1 Octave Piano: the Performance list will open
Tap on Organ side tab: Organ list will open
Tap on DWB (drawbars...) Organ Y+ (Slow/Fast Leslie effect is controlled by Joystick to be pushed forward)
Exit

Now yo have DWB Organ Y+ as a Performance, but you still have in memory Octave Piano. Therefore:
Tap on upper menu/Write Single Touch Setting: will open the related window:
Under 'T': at the end of the STS name, add an 'L', for Leslie
OK
Tap on the arrow of the lower menu (where is still written 'Octave Piano')
Select '01 Octave Piano'
OK
Yes

Now your 'DWB Organ Y+' has replaced previous Performance on STS1 of style Cool Bossa, and you can start to modify, WITHOUT worringg to damage anything.

Push Menu Button/Tap Effects/Tab side tab 'FX B' (that applies to so called Real Time Tracks, and not to the accompaniment tracks)
Tab on the Master FX 2, specifically the arrow besides '63: Rotary Speaker':
you will see the very long list of effects available
Move bottom cursor to the extreme right end
Click on '133 Rotary Speaker'
Now you have the heavy Leslie on Effect 2 !
Exit (Goes back to main Style window)

Put your right hand on upper, and play a wide chord
Put your left hand on lower, and start style with a wide chord
Once you get customized to the Leslie effect (should be slow speed), without moving your right hand form keyboard, push forward the joystick, and you will be delighted by the acceleration of rotor/horns !!!!!!!!

Play, pass from fast to slow a few times, until you start to get customized with the heavy Leslie.

Move to Variatio 4 (loud), fast Leslie, PULL the HIGH DRAWBARS, perform a glissando palm along the whole Upper, and you will really hear your Hammond screaming.

I know I exaggerated a little: But it is to share enthusiasm.

Of course the benefit of changing Leslie effect i more effective:
-if you use tipical Hammond playing way;
-if you use an expression pedal;

Sometimes you can also (to add 'drama') use Ensemble. Try it...

If you want visualize all changes you make in the Drawbars set up:
Tap on sound UP1 'Digit DRAWBARS': the organ list will open
Tap on Digit.Drawbars: the display will show you the hammond Drawbars simulation
Move the Drawbars/Cursors on the left side of the panel (not on the display), and you will se on the display the changes you made.
In this situation, you can change Percussion, and other parameters, typical of an Hammond Organ.

Hope is not to long explanation.....

Angelo

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
MadrasGiaguari

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete,

forgot to mention:

if you think that Drawbars sound is some a week, and wants more present and loud organ sounds, you may select, let's say as Upp2, some FLAT (or almost flat) Organ sound from LEGACY sounds: there are some very interesting, used with 133 effect.

Suggest:
-for evident percussion: Classic Click, PercShortdecay, BX3 Short Decay;
-for overdriven sound (excellent for fast leslie): DirtyB, KillerB, SuperBX Perc.
-for mellow organ sounds: DarkOrgan1, DarkOrgan2
and others.

Eveb with sample having a little of Leslie sampled, the 133 effect makes interesting results.

Ciao
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Angelo
Thanks so much for taking the time to explain that.
I am out of town for a few days so will try this at the weekend.

Thanks again

Pete Very Happy
MadrasGiaguari

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Dikikeys and other friends of the Forum interested to Organ/Leslie,

nowadays the industry offers a variety of gears that emulate Leslie effect, much better of the on board Rotary Effect (including the Overdrive Rotary that IMHO is better than the standard Rotary Effect).

I would love to use one with Pa3x. But I have not clear if would be possible to route organ sounds (flat samples, without any effect; NOT the one that have been sampled with fast rotary; we got some on Pa3x, Drawbars and other) to output 1&2, then trough the external leslie emulator, finally to the mixer).

One problem I see, If I got right, is that one needs to assign a real time TRACK (like Upper1, or 2, or 3) ALLWAYS to Output 1&2. That would be very unconvenient for tha majority of Performances, that don't need organ sounds.
It would be much better of course to may assign not a Track (forever...) but a SOUND (let's say: Drawbars, or other flat organ sounds). But I did not find in the user manuals any information in this respect.

Another question is: the Expression Pedal, when routing a track (or better, a sound) to Out 1&2, would continue to influence the sound expression?
That is a minor problem, since one could use an expression pedal between Out 1&2 and the Leslie Emulator unit.

In Youtube I heard the test of the small Leslie 2101mk2, and the effect is tremendously good (a real leslie, just made smaller thank to the use of the horns only).
I would love to use it, if possible trough output 1&2.

Another gear that seems very effective is Neo Ventilator, that is really small and does not cost much.

Could you make some comments?

Thank you,

Angelo Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
jazzmammal

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm bumping this thread because the last post was never answered and I would like to know the answer. Basically what he's asking is can you route a clean organ sound (no leslie or cabinet effect at all) to separate outs without making it global in order to use a separate effects unit such as the Ventilator? I have a Vent and it definitely needs a clean organ patch as if you had a tap coming from the organs preamp. And of course, the routing needs to be on the style level, not global.

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa3X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: