Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New KingKorg owner here, what to expect?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stephenwiley

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: New KingKorg owner here, what to expect? Reply with quote

So I took a leap of faith and jumped at a great deal for a new, sealed in box KK for an unbelievable price. I'm scared to share what I got it for (that good!)

My first synth ever was a Korg Radias but I was far too young to have any clue what I was working with, I literally knew what only a handful of the buttons did so I could never program it beyond using the presets. Ended up finally selling because it was just too complex for me (Pretty funny now that I think back about it considering the Radias has a very straight forward interface!)

I currently own a prophet 08 (probably selling, just dont jive with it), sh201, and Studio Electronics SE-1X. I've previously owned a mopho, roland gaia, virus ti desktop and a snow, and the radias.

I decided on the KingKorg because I literally couldn't find a more smooth sound after considering all popular VA's/FM's below $1500. I compared the KK to microwave xt, blofeld, access virus, nord lead 2/3/4, radias/r3/MK, roland sh201 & gaia, studiologic sledge 2, alesis ion, and ultranova.

After objectively listening to each of these synths (I ONLY listened....I did not consider anything else beyond what I heard) the KingKorg pretty much blew the others away. The blofeld and access virus tired for 2nd place but the KK was the clear winner in my eyes. I didn't care about if it sounded "analog" or whatever. I just listened for the best sound regardless of the instruments interface or "analogness"

I've really never heard a more smooth, polished sound. Is it the onboard FX, filter, or raw oscillator tones that give the KK such a lush tone? I was honestly just expecting a mildly upgraded MMT engine but XMT actually appears to be a big step forward for the company (I wonder if they plan to use it in anymore synths beyond the mild electribe integration)

To be fair, I'm a sucker for big trancey type sounds. My objective evaluation of all the synths was from a pure electronic basis. I found the KK to be shockingly good.

I honestly didn't even want to like the KK. It's price was out of my range and I felt like the keyboard was geared towards performers and not a studio rat which is what I am. I also wasn't a very big fan of the interface having only 1 ADSR for the envelopes and a poor modulation matrix overall. I wanted to like and love the Microwave XT, but there was just no denying the KK.

So, sorry for the long rant. I just wanteed to say hello and hope to become an active member around here. I couldn't be more excited about my KK and will probably have many questions for you experienced owners if that's OK Smile

Any tips/heads up regarding the KK? Things I need to be aware of? (Bugs, updates, must hear patch banks, etc)....

Thanks guys !!!!! Very Happy
Percivale

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one coming my way. Do share more on your experience Smile
stephenwiley

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds bloody beautiful. Easily the cleanest and smoothest sounding VA on the market.

It desperately needs a vst editor. This is a MASSIVE oversight IMO on Korg's part. The librarian is nice but a vst editor is desperately needed. Hope to god Korg (or someone) is working on one.
EFM-7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New KingKorg owner here, what to expect? Reply with quote

stephenwiley wrote:
To be fair, I'm a sucker for big trancey type sounds. My objective evaluation of all the synths was from a pure electronic basis.

Funny you say that, I bought this synth because it was one of the few that *didn't* scream trance. It has sophistication for any genre, electronic or not.

If I'm honest though, the first custom patch I made is called "TRANCE 1" Razz. So I did explore the trance capabilities once I got it home. I have a Roland JP-8080 and a Novation KS-Rack for these types sounds, but those synths are starting to sound "crusty" and narrow after spending some time with the KK. The unison spread parameter gives the patches amazing stereo width even with only two voices.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me the KK is by far the worst for EDM of all thr symths mentioned in this thread.
Still a great synth, it just lends itself far better to vintage emulations Smile
The NL4 can sound pretty smooth imho, even if it isn't really a good "emulator".
black953mj

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with SanderXpander on this. You can do EDM on the KingKorg but can do probably it better on others. I personally love my KingKorg for vintage sounds and use my Virus, and even my Prophet 12, for the EDM stuff. I do have to say though, for the price, the KingKorg is a great all around synth.
Minimoog Voyager - DSI Prophet 12 - Sequential Prophet 6 - DSI OB-6 - Access Virus Ti2 - Korg Kronos 2 - KingKORG - Novation MiniNova - Roland JU-06 - Roland RD-700GX - Novation Bass Station Rack - EMU Proteus 2000 - Various other old musical gadgets and dodads
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love mine but I tend to do more rock oriented stuff. Not much into the EDM so I cna't comment. In my studio though, it shines!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Vampyre

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my KK a lot, but have not used it much to date.
kkorgian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: expect Reply with quote

expect to not be able to find the headphone socket !

loads of vids on u tube for sound demos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xqA4-9jV_A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqsMvpFbYVM

its meant to be played not programmed, the controls are close enuf to the keyboard that u can press keys and twiddle knobs with one hand...that was the unexpected win for me. A hidden reason why i got on with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KingKORG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: