Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volca Sample - Create a TR-909 kit using preset samples
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Volca Sample - Create a TR-909 kit using preset samples Reply with quote

I was messing about with some of the default sounds and figured out that you can actually create a full TR-909 kit without even loading up any new samples. The only thing missing is the mid tom drum which the 10 Parts don't have enough room for.

So if you want to set up a quick and easy TR-909 kit, use the "Clear All" function to erase a pattern, then set each of the samples listed for all 10 parts:

TR-909 KIT

Part 01 - S.003 (Bass Drum)
Part 02 - S.013 (Snare Drum)
Part 03 - S.047 (Low Tom)
Part 04 - S.046 (Hi Tom)
Part 05 - S.022 (Clap)
Part 06 - S.051 (Rim Shot)
Part 07 - S.041 (Ride)
Part 08 - S.040 (Crash)
Part 09 - S.033 (Closed High Hat)
Part 10 - S.034 (Open High Hat)

Once set up, save the pattern. You now have a pocket sized TR-909. Enjoy!
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a TR-808 kit using the preset sounds. There's a few samples missing from this classic drum machine (notably no crash cymbal, grumble). This is the best I could do strictly using the default sounds. Cheers!

TR-808 KIT

Part 01 - S.006 (Bass Drum)
Part 02 - S.011 (Snare Drum)
Part 03 - S.045 (Low Tom)
Part 04 - S.044 (Hi Tom)
Part 05 - S.023 (Clap)
Part 06 - S.043 (Rim Shot)
Part 07 - S.050 (Cow Bell)
Part 08 - S.032 (Long Open High Hat)
Part 09 - S.030 (Closed High Hat)
Part 10 - S.031 (Short Open High Hat)
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
sjonp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting these drum kits!
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have an Oberheim DMX kit I made which I'll post later.

Sure, anyone can load all these original drum machine samples in themselves, but the problem I was having trying to do that was that each sample pack I found online had all the sounds normalized. This meant sounds which should be quieter in the mix were way too loud, such as the high hats.

The default samples which Korg put in seem to be all set at the right volumes.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that Re-Member,
You're makin me wanna buy.
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DMX

Part 01 - S.005 (Bass Drum)
Part 02 - S.017 (Snare Drum)
Part 03 - S.048 (Low Tom)
Part 04 - S.049 (Hi Tom)
Part 05 - S.023 (Clap)
Part 06 - S.010 (Rim Shot)
Part 07 - S.053 (Shaker)
Part 08 - S.039 (Crash)
Part 09 - S.035 (Closed High Hat)
Part 10 - S.036 (Open High Hat)

It's missing the tambourine, ride and different pitched toms, but those sound similar to the samples I already listed above.
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Re-Member, not to derail your thread or anything, but since you're posting these drum sets for the Sample, I wonder, would you say a Sample is preferable to the Beats? I'm almost inclined to sell/trade mine towards a Sample...
captain johnson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with the editing capabilities of this unit, it's theoretically possible to get 'any' sound out of it? Right Wink
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each have their own pros and cons, so I tend to use them both about equally.

I like the flexibility of bass drum and high hats more on the Volca Beats, but that's probably about it. The Volca Sample has better snares, claps, toms, cymbals, etc. to choose from without even having to load in new samples. If you do load in new samples, the device isn't really suited for "loops" or anything like that. One shot samples work best.

Regarding the FX, I like the Beat's "Stutter" better than the Sample's reverb. You can't adjust the size of the reverb and everything ends up sounding like it's coming from the bottom of a well.

The sequencer is better on the Volca Sample since you use Song Mode for chaining all the patterns together for longer measures, but I usually sequence both from Ableton, so it's not something I've play with much.

It's worth mentioning that the Volca Sample's MIDI settings are all screwed up. Each Part operates on a separate MIDI channel which can't be changed, so sequencing it from a DAW or other hardware requires some workarounds.
chris-korg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have both - I use the VBeats for "regular" drum beats and the VSample for Percussion-rhythms. (I deleted all factory-samples and loaded samples of Congas, Bongos, African drums, Asian drums, Latin American drums, various Small Percussions in reasonable sound-quality).
So I do think that both Volcas can compliment each other very well.
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you both. As much as I also love the beats, its that pathetic snare lol. but now I am thinking if I do get a Sample, it might be worthwhile to keep the Beats. One more question for you guys - if you sync the Sample out to the Beats, does it send swing?
chris-korg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO!

More info on VSamples "special swing":
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=96103

If you want to let the VBeats swing you do need other gear, for example the MidiPal as Master: (especially if VBeats and VSample should swing together):
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=96091
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind the snare too much on the Beats, but yeah, it's certainly a required taste. I found that the best setting for me is leaving "Snappy" half way up, then lowering the tuning all the way and cranking up the decay to the max. It makes it have that Korg KR-55 sound to it which was used by a lot of early Mute Records artists (Depeche Mode, Fad Gadget, etc.).

Personally, I hate its crash and agogo, haha. Not only are they cheesy, but there's all these noise artifacts encoded in the samples. I prefer using sounds from the Volca Sample instead.

And that's another plus about the Volca Sample. The samples are not as hissy sounding like the Volca Beats PCM sounds.
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I overlooked the fact that the Volca Sample preset sounds also let you build the Roland TR-707 kit, which I hear a lot of in modern EDM type songss. It is very similar to the DMX kit which I already posted, so this is a minor tweak.

Some history: The Roland TR-707 was basically a rip off the Oberheim DMX, while the DMX was a knock off of the Linn LM-1. The Linn was absurdly expensive, so when the DMX and 707 came out, they got used much more in 80s pop music. The DMX eventually went out of fashion due to the lack of MIDI control, which made the 707 more prominent in late 80s House music. All three machine contain very similar sampled sounds, but each had their own distinctive kick drum.

Ok, so enough nerdy talk, here's the 707. Enjoy!

TR-707 KIT
Part 01 - S.006 (Bass Drum)
Part 02 - S.016 (Snare Drum)
Part 03 - S.047 (Low Tom)
Part 04 - S.046 (Mid/Hi Tom)
Part 05 - S.023 (Clap)
Part 06 - S.051 (Rim Shot)
Part 07 - S.055 (Cow Bell)
Part 08 - S.039 (Crash)
Part 09 - S.035 (Closed High Hat)
Part 10 - S.036 (Open High Hat)

ADDITIONAL SOUNDS
S.037 (Tambourine)
S.041 (Ride)
pelluco

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this. Tons of material from tr8 and tr808 plus other stuff. Hope this will help.

http://blog.liveschool.net/roland-aira-tr-8-samples/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: