Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MS20 midi sequencer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
howardy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:49 am    Post subject: MS20 midi sequencer Reply with quote

Hi all

I'm about to indulge in an MS20 mini to replace my MS10 from 1983(?). I am torn between that and the Auturia micro brute purely because of the built in sequencer. How easy is it to hook up a sequencer to the ms20 mini? Probably an obvious question to you experts but I'm a real part timer.

Can I hook up the sequencer in my volka keys to the ms 20 mini by any chance
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The volca keys and ms20 mini is probably not the best combination for you - both only have midi in ports so you'd have to mod the keys to make a midi out port. But if you're good with soldering then you might want to give it a go, I haven't done it myself but I undestand that Korg labelled the boards very clearly.
Jamie Munro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or you could just get the sq1 sequencer with the ms20- 80 pounds, no brainer.

I wouldn't choose the MBrute over the ms20 personally and certainly not for the sequencer reason , mbrute in addition hell yeah

2 x 1/8 cables that are included with the sq1 and so damn simple to use together or use your existing ms20 cables.

Last edited by Jamie Munro on Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
chris-korg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me offer you a whole supermarket of Midi-sequencers for the MS20mini:

1) Mutable instruments MIDIPAL: a "Midi swiss army knive"; fantastic value for the price (around EUR 150.-)! (I´m a true fan of this gear !!!)

2) Doepfer DarkTime: at around EUR 450.- rather expensive but provides a lot of entertainment - especially with the actual firmware-update

3) Korg SQ1: at around EUR 120.- rather cheap; in my opinion Korg needs to upgrade the Firmware especially on the Midi-side, than this could be a really good sequencer; more info on the SQ1:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=96199
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=95467

4) Korg Monotribe with amazingmachines miditribe-mod: at around EUR 40.- (for the Mod alone) very cheap if you already have a Monotribe; you can then send your Monotribe-sequence via Midi to the MS20mini

5) Roland MC-303 (vintage-gear): second hand price is around EUR 150.-; this is a groove-station with 7 instrument-parts and one drum-part where you can send one of those instruments via Midi-out to your MS20mini while playing the others internally.

This is just a short list to give you an idea - hope it helps Smile
kvitekp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind DIY option, there is also MidiALF step sequencer -- it has both MIDI and CV outs which makes it ideal solution for KORG MS-20 Mini and Kit versions since you can drive notes via MIDI and use 4 x CV outputs for modulations.

/Peter
chris-korg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting!!!

How much would be a fully assembled unit? I do think that this could be interesting for other MS20mini owners as well.
chris-korg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have 2 more:

1) Mutable instruments "Shruthi": at around EUR 250.- fully assembled it is a fantastic synth and also offers very interesting Midi-out possibilities

2) Groovesizer MB: owned it for about a year (cost me around EUR 150.-; sold it a few weeks ago). Has in my opinion a huge potential but unfortunately not bugfree...
Jamie Munro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Options
kvitekp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-korg wrote:
How much would be a fully assembled unit? I do think that this could be interesting for other MS20mini owners as well.
I believe the current price for the MidiALF BOM is about $150, give or take. Building one on order would be twice a much.

/Peter
chris-korg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a look at your website - very impressive stuff that you have
(and being a a long term fan of mutable instruments increases even my interest in your gear)

Sorry to bother you again: but how much would be a MidiRex fully assembled including casing ??
kvitekp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-korg wrote:
I just had a look at your website - very impressive stuff that you have
(and being a a long term fan of mutable instruments increases even my interest in your gear)

Sorry to bother you again: but how much would be a MidiRex fully assembled including casing ??

Thank you. MidiREX BOM was about $80 last time I checked, so building it on order would be $160. Not sure where to get the case these days, but the plastic one done at Ponoko is about $60 or so.

/Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG MS20 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: