Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos won-t boot - says remove USB device which is not pres
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
keybrdguy14

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Kronos won-t boot - says remove USB device which is not pres Reply with quote

My Kronos was working great a few days ago. Today I boot up and it fails saying remove the USB device, which is not plugged into the keyboard. Removed bottom of keyboard and checked to make sure all connections tight. Tried booting with USB in and then removed and re-tried - same result. Help please????!?!
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what exactly where you doing before or during the first boot up failure ?

Did you move the Kronos ? Did it lock up when you were playing ?

and having a few more facts might be a good idea. Like what yr is your Kronos, the model, and what USB device was plugged into it
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When this happened to me, it was loose RAM.
keybrdguy14

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Had just used 4 days before at a concert. Reply with quote

I brought it home and set it back up - had been turned off 4 days. No USB was plugged into it and I seldom plug a USB into it. I just turned it on and when the red line gets to the middle of the S (from Kronos logo above) it stops and then it says boot failure - please remove USB .... My Kronos is 3 years old - one of the early ones - #333. It has seldom locked up during playing and has never done this before. Overall, it's been very durable. Hate to take it for service - closest is 60 miles away.
keez

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also had this error many times when another midi device was connected via midi cables

Every time it happen, I just switched off the other midi device, or unplugged the midi cable, and tried again. Always worked then.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Had just used 4 days before at a concert. Reply with quote

keybrdguy14 wrote:
I brought it home and set it back up - had been turned off 4 days. No USB was plugged into it and I seldom plug a USB into it. I just turned it on and when the red line gets to the middle of the S (from Kronos logo above) it stops and then it says boot failure - please remove USB .... My Kronos is 3 years old - one of the early ones - #333. It has seldom locked up during playing and has never done this before. Overall, it's been very durable. Hate to take it for service - closest is 60 miles away.

Exact same symptoms I had, for me it was loose RAM. If you're out of warranty I would definitely open it up myself to check for loose RAM. If you have a 73 or 88 check a tutorial, the keybed can be a bit finicky to secure back into place properly.
If you're not comfortable with this sort of thing, warranty repair is the safest option. Doesn't seem like a software issue to me.
keybrdguy14

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: I checked connections Reply with quote

I went in and removed RAM and put back in. I tried connecting and disconnecting USB stuff thinking maybe that would trigger a change. Tried booting with USB connected and after getting message removed and repeated....still stops in the same place every time. Weird! Any other suggestions you guys might have are welcome - otherwise it goes to the shop tomorrow.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same kind of problem occured to my kronos some months ago and I shall never regret to have brought it to a Korg repair center. Weeks passed away... My kronos was out of warranty, still I have paid nothing. The Korg staff had to format the internal hard disk and reinstall all. Maybe I could do this myself but honestly I am not sure. Many thanks again to all the Korg staff again Very Happy The Do It Yourself is one thing The Korg repair Center another.

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
keybrdguy14

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Something that shouldn't have worked WORKS! Reply with quote

I plugged a flash drive in USB A and booted again. It booted all the way - no problem. is working fine. It shouldn't have booted with the USB in the slot but it did. Now I don't exactly have a real good comfort level that it won't do this again....... this makes no sense!
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Something that shouldn't have worked WORKS! Reply with quote

keybrdguy14 wrote:
I plugged a flash drive in USB A and booted again. It booted all the way - no problem. is working fine. It shouldn't have booted with the USB in the slot but it did. Now I don't exactly have a real good comfort level that it won't do this again....... this makes no sense!

the remove USB device seems to be a default msg no matter what happened.

my guess is that your Kronos closed , or powered down 'incorrectly '. For example, the sequencer was running, u stepped on sustain, or u nudged the vector stick during shut down, or u had your fingers on the keys in combi mode during shut town.

I am saying this theoretically, since I think the Kronos is touchy during power down. thus if something went ' bump' during shut down, the next startup/load OS could reflect this.
keybrdguy14

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:30 am    Post subject: I get it Reply with quote

I get what you're saying. Just the strangest thing - it says remove USB when USB not there but boots fine with USB - backwards from normal but I'll take it if I don't have to take it for service! Thanks for your help!
Stratario

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the Kronos motherboard have a battery on it? Does the battery have to be replaced every once in a while? If that is the case I would replace the battery and reinstall the BIOS.

Fred
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stratario wrote:
Does the Kronos motherboard have a battery on it? Does the battery have to be replaced every once in a while? If that is the case I would replace the battery and reinstall the BIOS.

Fred

There is a CMOS type battery that gives out a battery low warning. Seems to be overkill to replace it just in case.

What step by step directions do u have for reinstalling the BIOS ? And are u 100% sure that is something required ?
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stratario wrote:

Fred

Totally unrelated. All the battery does is keep the time and date for the OS. It should also last about 10 years.

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
Davd C. Polich

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know if you pull a USB device out of your computer right after you
initiate shutdown, you'll likely get a message next time you boot up saying a device was improperly removed. Or, it will look like something is in the trash until you plug the USB device back in.

This sounds like these ams kind of thing - for some reason, your Kronos
was seeking a "phantom" USB device that it "could have sworn" was plugged in when it was powered down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: