Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The cons of KRONOS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spaceman3
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:00 am    Post subject: The cons of KRONOS Reply with quote

I have given the KRONOS nothing but praise.
But now it is time for what i dont like about the KRONOS.
The headphone jack isnt in the back.
That's it.
And i found a work around for that, so it isnt really a problem.
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: The cons of KRONOS Reply with quote

spaceman3 wrote:
That's it.

See what's funny is I view that as a Pro! Why do you prefer on the back? For me Headphones is a late night affair. In front is convenient and you get extra length on your headphone cord.

My only cons are:
-Easy to run out of Program Space
-Wavesequences can get mis-mapped fairly easily
-Sequencer needs an update
-As Libraries come out RAM can get scarce (Though this one is reaching a little)
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love any synth that had heaphones jack on the front.
spaceman3
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My little bedroom studio is crammed for space, and i have a sort of narrow path between my KRONOS, and my work desk.
With the phone jack in front it would be very easy for me to walk by it and hit it trying to squeeze through the space between the desk and the KRONOS.
It's not a big deal, found a workaround with a headphone amp.
Normally i would not even consider the phone jack placement on KRONOS as a pro or con, It's just my crammed studio setup.
My post was mainly to say, i love the KRONOS so much that i could find only one thing to whine about, lol.
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:06 am    Post subject: Kronos Reply with quote

Why would you wanna reach around keyboard when you can plug right in front of keyboard. Much easier for me as I can move with the headphones in front of keyboard. But I see your point if you are crammed in for space I guess.
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a right angle 1/4" adapter would work as well
::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main CONS that have been an issue since the Kronos was first released.

1. The Engines on the synth lack features of the original synths they emulate. For example, check out a real PolySix vs the PolySixEX. I was REALLY looking forward to having this feature again (dynamic chord memory). Alas, the EX version doesn't have it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObnplIZHoiE

The PolySix also had a really cool Arpeggiator that the EX doesn't have (couldn't find a video to demonstrate it). REALLY bummed that this was dropped, especially the chord function.

2. Can't program arps directly on the Kronos. Despite Stephen Kay saying he would be more than happy to add that functionality to KARMA, Korg refuses to add it. Grrrrr..... Because of this, I continue to gig my M50 instead of my Kronos.

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I used a real Polysix but the EXi does have its own arpeggiator separate from KARMA, is that not what you mean?
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
It's been a while since I used a real Polysix but the EXi does have its own arpeggiator separate from KARMA, is that not what you mean?

It has one but it lacks a lot of the functionality of the original.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boot time (UPS essential on stage).

No MIDI Echo!!!! Such an important feature to me, and without it I am going to have to faff about with MIDI splitters and mergers and more cables (so more to set up, carry and go wrong). I have made the feature request to Korg UK.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:

No MIDI Echo!!!! Such an important feature to me, and without it I am going to have to faff about with MIDI splitters and mergers and more cables (so more to set up, carry and go wrong). I have made the feature request to Korg UK.

This was an annoyance to me. I eventually solved it (for the most part) by using an iConnectMIDI4+ in my rack. Although it would be nice to be able to do channel redirection (via midi echo) from within the Kronos. The iConnectMIDI only supports it at a global level, so it's a struggle to to configure my secondary controller to drive some of my outboard gear without manually changing channels on the gear itself.
::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
coyote144
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. The Engines on the synth lack features of the original synths they emulate. For example, check out a real PolySix vs the PolySixEX. I was REALLY looking forward to having this feature again (dynamic chord memory). Alas, the EX version doesn't have it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObnplIZHoiE

You can do that easily on Kronos. Not directly in the Polysix EXi, but with the feature "Chord Pad" that can be found in Common / Program Basic / Voice Assign Mode. First make a chord on the pads, then assign a pad to the Chord Pad Function.

This means that this feature is available for Polysix, but also for any other EXi or HD1 program.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeebustrain wrote:
Derek Cook wrote:

This was an annoyance to me. I eventually solved it (for the most part) by using an iConnectMIDI4+ in my rack. Although it would be nice to be able to do channel redirection (via midi echo) from within the Kronos. The iConnectMIDI only supports it at a global level, so it's a struggle to to configure my secondary controller to drive some of my outboard gear without manually changing channels on the gear itself.

Looks an interesting device, but still more hardware and cables to build in....

I guess I was spoilt with a two keyboard setup that was Yamaha EX5 and Novation Remote61, both of which had MIDI Echo. The Novation also had the great feature (for controlling my rack units) that a held note would not be released when you changed patches until you released the note. Korg Kronos SST has replaced that feature Smile , but I still really miss MIDI Echo and it would be such a simple feature to add in to such a flexible synth. Pleeeeeasssse, Mr. Korg Very Happy

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
lotty1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The cons of KRONOS Reply with quote

spaceman3 wrote:
That's it.

I spent the last three year looking for cons on the kronos and have not found any yet Very Happy
PCFREE
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't hear any problems with the sound on my kronos......The fan is too loud! Lol

....as we forgive those who synthesize against us!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: