Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electribe 2 step sequencer question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebiglebowski

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject: Electribe 2 step sequencer question Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm confused by various user reports - does the Electribe 2 have an actual „x0x” style step-sequencer or just a live mode with some editing options?

Thanks
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has an x0x style sequencer, 4 bars, 16 steps each.
thebiglebowski

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarekith wrote:
It has an x0x style sequencer, 4 bars, 16 steps each.

Does it?
Here are a couple of quotes from this forum:

„No Step Record. Ridiculous to remove this, purely ridiculous. Anyone who does acid or likes to make precise and long sequences will really miss this. It was a very fast and effective way to program in a sequence. Sure, recording live is always an option, but it can be tedious to use the Step Edit function.”

„If you are hoping for an easy to use step sequencer that you want to program the old fashioned way, or you want to edit parts that you've played in with the pads or XY pad, then prepare to be frustrated.”

And a thread:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=94855

You're basically saying the exact opposite, hence my confusion...
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never tried a xoxbox, but it does have a normal sequencer. the issue is that you can't input notes fast using the keyboard like in the video I posted in that thread.

WHen you go into Step Edit mode, you can quickly go to each step to edit the notes (up to 4 per step) which I like, but then to change the note itself, you don't use the keyboard, you have to use a knob to change the notes. There is a shift shortcut that allows you to change octaves quickly. THe more I use it, I realize its not THAT terrible, its just annoying that you can't hit the pads to input a note. But now that I think about it, I see why Korg did it this way. You see, you can select different scales, but what if you want to raise or flatten a note out of the scale? This would be the only way (apart from going into chromatic mode) to do that, thus the reason why they decided to go with the knob to change pitches.

That said, putting in notes live isn't all that terrible, because the pads are very responsive. But like I said in the statement you quoted me on, if you want precise passages, its not ideal. You'll need to use step edit. It takes a bit getting used to, but then so does a lot of other things with this electribe, like the touch pad, shortcuts, etc. But I'm finding that when you start to adapt to this new work flow, its not really so bad, and you discover you can actually do things rather quickly.

And one more thing, a very nice feature of STEP EDIT now is that you can do this while the unit is playing, and you can also switch between parts on the fly. So it does have some advantages.

If you have more questions about step edit and the sequence, fire away.
Tom 62

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roblabs wrote:
I've never tried a xoxbox

He is asking about xox-style step sequencing. This has nothing to do with the xoxbox Wink. And yes, of course the new Electribe has xox-style sequencing. It's the signature feature of any Electribe. At least on this planet.

Last edited by Tom 62 on Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for drums you rarely need to go that deep even, you can just press the sequencer button and some trigger pads to place notes, just like most x0x drum machines.
thebiglebowski

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom 62 wrote:
roblabs wrote:
I've never tried a xoxbox

And yes, of course the new Electribe has xox-style sequencing. It's the signature feature of any Electribe. At least on this planet.

Well Tom, I asked this question because many Electribe 2 users reported that the method of step sequencing that was present in all previous models is missing in Electribe 2, how about that? Once again, one user wrote:

„No Step Record. Ridiculous to remove this, purely ridiculous.”

So essentially now it works like an Arturia Beatstep for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdjNm-6ATeM&spfreload=10

When you edit the note value with the data knob, is the note auditoned or does it just change the note value on the LCD display?

Sorry for this specific questions, but the answer will decide: I buy this box or wait for a OS update Smile

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

of my limited understanding of the e2 is that it does have it.
Something similar to a tracker system kind of? that's kind of what I'm interesting in delving deeper in for my arpeggio sequences kind of have a little more fine control over the programming of notes like a tracker. which is wha I'm used to.
takadoum

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sequencer is XOX style (4x16 steps), but at the moment there's no STEP recording, which is different.

Step recording is the ability to enter notes or ties or silences with pads, starting for example on step 1, and having sequencer position automatically moving forward by 1 step, so that you don't have to do it yourself, i.e. you only enter notes/ties/silences. It's TB-303 like step recording.
It's not a live feature.

XOX sequencer is TR-808 like sequencer, like 16 pads associated to 16 steps (1 bar), and usually between 1 and 8 bars for hardware. You can use it live. And no, E2 won't audition the note when moving the edit knob, since doing so live would be a mess ! But you can audition if you like by pressing the corresponding step pad.

Hope that makes sense to you Wink
phillwilson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will just second the description above... no STEP note entry...not a big deal unless you like working in the 303/ rebirth methodology.
takadoum

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phillwilson wrote:
I will just second the description above... no STEP note entry...not a big deal unless you like working in the 303/ rebirth methodology.

Of course, you're right... The worst part in my opinion Sad

It's either live recording or using the value knob to modify notes entered in sequencer mode (default C4, length 72, no tie). Or a mix of both, live rec then editing notes.
thebiglebowski

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

takadoum wrote:
phillwilson wrote:

Of course, you're right... The worst part in my opinion Sad

It's either live recording or using the value knob to modify notes entered in sequencer mode (default C4, length 72, no tie). Or a mix of both, live rec then editing notes.

Thank you Takadoum and Phil, that was a great description! Now i get it. My only experience with hardware sequencers is the mc-303 groovebox - I found it super easy to program. I also have an Arturia Beatstep which works great bit is limited to one bar.
Thanks again guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: