Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Issue importing midifile with markers to Style
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam CA wrote:
Thoraldus wrote:
Speaking of MIDI editing DAWs ... Anyone here use REAPER? Just downloaded it and it seems to be pretty comprehensive. Although not free, compared to the price of other DAWs it's just about 'free' at $60 US. Wink Looks like it handles markers just fine. I was able to use my Cakewalk PA3X INS instrument definition file which was a BIG PLUS! Will spend some more time with it today to see how the Korg PA style design workflow goes.

I hear nothing but positive feedback about Reaper. I'll download the trial version to check it out myself one of these days.

Thanks for the info on Reaper. Looks like Marker management is well represented in this software...

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
Samusic76

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't worked for me. Markers are not exported in .mid

You can create an edit them, but they desapear in the midifile

😔
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samusic76 wrote:

😔

It appears there are both 'text' markers and 'project' markers. I think you have to create 'text' markers to export for Korg styles. Will test soon.

Johann Sebastian Bach

Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoraldus wrote:
Samusic76 wrote:

😔

It appears there are both 'text' markers and 'project' markers. I think you have to create 'text' markers to export for Korg styles. Will test soon.

Something along this line ...

Johann Sebastian Bach

Last edited by Thoraldus on Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK! That worked. Was able to import SMF and load style elements all in one operation. Too cool! Excuse me a sec while I go spend $60 Wink

Johann Sebastian Bach

Samusic76

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be dummy but, how do I open that "list" editor????
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samusic76 wrote:
I may be dummy but, how do I open that "list" editor????

You need to open the 'Midi Editor' Ctrl-Alt-E should do it. Then press ALT 3 to view event list.

--- PM me with any further questions, don't want to hijack this thread. ---

Johann Sebastian Bach

Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam CA wrote:
Thoraldus wrote:
Speaking of MIDI editing DAWs ... Anyone here use REAPER? Just downloaded it and it seems to be pretty comprehensive. Although not free, compared to the price of other DAWs it's just about 'free' at $60 US. Wink Looks like it handles markers just fine. I was able to use my Cakewalk PA3X INS instrument definition file which was a BIG PLUS! Will spend some more time with it today to see how the Korg PA style design workflow goes.

I hear nothing but positive feedback about Reaper. I'll download the trial version to check it out myself one of these days.

Sam,

I'll now add my voice to the chorus of positive reviews of Reaper. Awesome program. The degree of customization with this puppy is astounding. It appears if you have a bit of creativity you could write a script for this program to automatically convert 3rd party styles (PRS Wink ) to Korg PA ... or at a minimum automate most of the process. My Sonar is now being relegated to backup DAW Wink

Johann Sebastian Bach

Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, that's great to hear. Such a powerful tool considering how affordable, small and compact this software is. . It'd be a good idea to have a new thread just for Reaper related questions I think.

nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have been using Reaper for a couple of years now. Don't do much with midi yet; but extremely happy with direct recording on it. I would expect you will like it Rick. It will be good to have you familiar with the program in case I need to "pick your brain". Always good to have a power user to reach out to. Wink

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam & Eric - I've opened a new thread at http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=94942 to discuss Style editing in DAWs and Sequencers.

Eric - Don't how much of a 'power user' I am but will be very happy to share whatever I learn. Wink

Johann Sebastian Bach

Dikikeys

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just downloaded and tried Reaper out. Pretty impressive for the price..

It does have a slant towards audio over MIDI compared to say Cubase or Logic, though. The basic stuff is there, but it handles patch changes in a somewhat clunky way, and the Mixer seems somewhat baffling to work right as a pure MIDI mixer. I know it's early days for me, but so far I seem to have had little success getting the initial Volume commands in an SMF to transfer to the Mixer settings. Most mature DAW's do this automatically. Then setting up GM/GS sends to the built in reverb/chorus seems not graphical (although there's a list editor).

And I miss things like the Logical Editor (on Cubase, similar thing in Logic but different name), which allows you to do stuff like find all the backbeats below a certain velocity on the drum track and compress their MIDI velocities (to even out the beat) and other advanced tricks like that. That is a huge timesaver compared to doing it by hand. It also helps deal with those tiny notes that arranger output often has for fractionally late chord input (that are portamento'd to the new note). Simply select all notes under a certain duration, delete and no longer a problem in one go!

But for $60, a bargain, and a worthy effort for those that can't afford one of the TOTL DAW/Sequencers.

And, who knows? Maybe there are workarounds for the issues I found that I haven't found yet!
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoraldus is a great person, helpful, professional and collaborative like some other great guys in this forum. By the way we never met each other...Very Happy than here through this forum, big thanks.
I am interested too to learn the Reaper for Style creating and editing.
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, early days here as well. The mind boggles at what this program (Reaper) can do with macros and Python scripts. Looks like there are over 3200 defined 'actions' that can be called in user defined macros. Fun stuff!

I looked up the Logical Editor in Cubase. Nice!

By the way, I created my own custom FX > PA600 that automatically loads the PA600 instrument definitions. Then cobbled up a 16 track midi with I/O assignments to the PA600 and saved the whole thing as a template. Piece of cake. Wink

Johann Sebastian Bach

Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BR wrote:
Thoraldus is a great person, helpful, professional and collaborative like some other great guys in this forum. By the way we never met each other...Very Happy than here through this forum, big thanks.
I am interested too to learn the Reaper for Style creating and editing.

Thank you for the kind words BR.

Johann Sebastian Bach

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa3X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: