Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Remove SSD
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PCFREE
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Remove SSD Reply with quote

Hi all.

I'm troubleshooting my noiseblocker fan/kronos temperature, which idles at 73C on auto and has maxed out at 81C. I don't know whether this is an issue to be concerned about

I want to remove my second hard drive temporarily to test the temperature with just the original SSD.
Is it a simple procedure?
Is there anything I need to be careful of?

Thank you!

....as we forgive those who synthesize against us!!
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you maybe only wasting your time removing the drive.
I've two SSD's and my KRONOS is running on the slow speed with the factory fan installed. By the end of a full working day, my KRONOS is only reaching 63C in a room at 20C.

As for removing it to do your test regardless, I don't think there's anything you need to do as your not booting from that drive. At best modify your AUTO LOAD so its not trying to load libraries from the second drive on bootup.

Regards
Sharp
PCFREE
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
I think you maybe only wasting your time removing the drive.
I've two SSD's and my KRONOS is running on the slow speed with the factory fan installed. By the end of a full working day, my KRONOS is only reaching 63C in a room at 20C.

As for removing it to do your test regardless, I don't think there's anything you need to do as your not booting from that drive. At best modify your AUTO LOAD so its not trying to load libraries from the second drive on bootup.

Regards
Sharp

Thanks for your reply, Sharp

Do you think I should change my fan - maybe for the factory one or factory equivalent or am I unnecessarily concerned?

ybobo64

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove SSD Reply with quote

Opening your keyboard most done carefully. If you never did before, make shure to elevate it so the keybed touches noting. If you dont, you'll have problems with your keys afterward. You can use pillows on each side to lift it.

😄

PCFREE wrote:
Hi all.

I'm troubleshooting my noiseblocker fan/kronos temperature, which idles at 73C on auto and has maxed out at 81C. I don't know whether this is an issue to be concerned about

I want to remove my second hard drive temporarily to test the temperature with just the original SSD.

Thank you!
Laughing
Kronos X73, Logic Pro 9, Komplete 9 Ultimate, Reason 8, Nanopad, Padkontrol, Leap motion with Geco App, Arturia v4 pack, IK multimedia Total Studio 3, iPad air 2, iMac i7, Roli Seaboard Rise, many plug-ins and iPad app.
PCFREE
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove SSD Reply with quote

ybobo64 wrote:
Opening your keyboard most done carefully. If you never did before, make shure to elevate it so the keybed touches noting. If you dont, you'll have problems with your keys afterward. You can use pillows on each side to lift it.

😄

PCFREE wrote:
Hi all.

Thank you!
Laughing

Thank you. I'm ok with that part, as I installed the ram and fan. Wink

Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCFREE wrote:

Do you think I should change my fan - maybe for the factory one or factory equivalent or am I unnecessarily concerned?

I think you certainly need to do something as your KRONOS seems to be running unusually on the high side. Seems most people are quoting temps between 57C to 63C after many hours of use on the low setting, so it's strange to see you mention hitting 80C+ on Auto.

I have a sneaky feeling your fan is not pointing the right way. I would have “assumed” it should be flowing towards the PSU/Motherboard, but another user said it flows the other way.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=617495#617495

So if you or anyone else reading this has a copy of the service manual. It would be great to have a quick look as to that that says.

Regards
Sharp.
PCFREE
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
PCFREE wrote:

I think you certainly need to do something as your KRONOS seems to be running unusually on the high side. Seems most people are quoting temps between 57C to 63C after many hours of use on the low setting, so it's strange to see you mention hitting 80C+ on Auto.

I have a sneaky feeling your fan is not pointing the right way. I would have “assumed” it should be flowing towards the PSU/Motherboard, but another user said it flows the other way.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=617495#617495

So if you or anyone else reading this has a copy of the service manual. It would be great to have a quick look as to that that says.

Regards
Sharp.

Thanks again, Sharp. I've tried the fan pointing both ways but there only seems to be a small difference - maybe 2C

Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you do a simple hot wire of the factory fan back into the unit to see if there's a major difference? Forget the noise for the moment, just see if the factory fan gives you normal temps.

If it doesn't, if it were my KRONOS I'd pull the heatsink off the CPU, clean them both, and repaste it with a quality thermal paste. Sounds extreme but after seeing people, including myself experience RAM not installed properly, and the SSD connected to the wrong port, anything is possible.

Regards
Sharp.
keez

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your ambient room temp? Do you live in hot country? Is it near a heat-source/radiator?
rob_tky

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
So if you or anyone else reading this has a copy of the service manual. It would be great to have a quick look as to that that says

If anyone has a copy of service manual and would like to share I would be interested
PCFREE
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I still have the factory fan. I'll check when I get home.
I live in England, btw and the room temperature is around 18 degrees. There is no heating in the room

I really appreciate the responses!!

Stratario

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With two SSDs and a factory fan, my Kronos 61 runs around 61 degrees on Auto and 73 degrees on Slow.

Fred
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCFREE wrote:
I live in England, btw and the room temperature is around 18 degrees. There is no heating in the room

There is also the chance you have a dodgy temp sensor and it isn't actually getting that hot.

After running for a while hold you hand over the casing above the buttons on the right side of the Kronos, how hot is the case?
PCFREE
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobTheDog wrote:
PCFREE wrote:

There is also the chance you have a dodgy temp sensor and it isn't actually getting that hot.

After running for a while hold you hand over the casing above the buttons on the right side of the Kronos, how hot is the case?

I did wonder if the sensor might be dodgy.....
It's been warm on the top right but not hot
Anyway, I've managed to put the old fan back in! It's sooooo noisey! I'm keeping an eye on the temperature to see what happens.....
I'll feedback......

dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:

I can't find anything in the service manual that talks about fan air flow direction, but from the photos you can see that the factory-installed XFAN RDM6025S is pushing air across the SSD, and pulling air from across the power supply...so the fan airflow direction is definitely AWAY from the power supply and motherboard...

df
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: