Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos parts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
prophet5

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Kronos parts Reply with quote

I recently had a crash onstage with my Kronos 88 and as a result i need a new set of side panels. After chatting with Korg support and Parts Is Parts, the Korg parts distributor in the US, i learned that the end caps were discontinued and no longer available. Korg even suggested I look for a Kronos online that was being parted out???????? I'm assuming that they are the same parts as the Kronos X which of course is still current. Anyway after a little more study I was concerned about the number of other parts for the synth that are discontinued.... even the touchscreen..... not sure what to make of this....
anyone having trouble finding parts?
lotty1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos parts Reply with quote

prophet5 wrote:
I recently had a crash onstage with my Kronos 88 and as a result i need a new set of side panels. After chatting with Korg support and Parts Is Parts, the Korg parts distributor in the US, i learned that the end caps were discontinued and no longer available. Korg even suggested I look for a Kronos online that was being parted out???????? I'm assuming that they are the same parts as the Kronos X which of course is still current. Anyway after a little more study I was concerned about the number of other parts for the synth that are discontinued.... even the touchscreen..... not sure what to make of this....

Parts on the new Kronos 2 should fit old ones.
I have nearly all the parts from Kronos X in my Kronos so I would expect you could swop all parts from Kronos 2 Very Happy
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a keyboard service center (not Korg) and deal with parts all the time. I normally defend the manufacturers knowing how much they have to deal with etc.

However, if it's indeed true that Korg cannot supply parts for the Kronos or Kronos X citing because they are discontinued I would be livid. Even if it was discontinued after the first year of production they should still have parts. In some countries they are required by law to have replacement parts for a number of years after production.

That said, I don't believe Parts is Parts is the last word in what Korg can or cannot supply. You might try an authorized service center.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
keez

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos parts Reply with quote

lotty1 wrote:

Parts on the new Kronos 2 should fit old ones.
I have nearly all the parts from Kronos X in my Kronos so I would expect you could swop all parts from Kronos 2 Very Happy

Nooooo! He was asking specifically about the end cheeks which are NOT compatible.

photo 1-28.jpg
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos parts Reply with quote

prophet5 wrote:

By crash, I'm guessing that you mean an actual physical crash in which the KRONOS plummeted - if so, wow, sorry that happened! That hurts.

Components such as the touch-screen are *certainly* available - don't believe everything you see in a thread title. Smile Case parts such as the end-caps might be a different story, I don't know; I'll check on this as well.

I just wrote this in response to a different thread:

danatkorg wrote:
I'm sure the guy from Parts Is Parts was nice. The info they gave you is incorrect in three important respects, however: (1) The KRONOS X power supply assembly is not the same as the KRONOS; (2) The KRONOS X and the KRONOS2-61/73/88 use the same power supply; and (3) The KRONOS X/KRONOS2-61/73/88 power supply can be used with the original KRONOS by changing the cabling.

It should have been easy for your service center to find this out, too.

In general, it really seems like it's best to do what I always advise: contact the support department of your national Korg Distributor. They can assist you with such questions - that's their job! Parts Is Parts is not the same as Korg; their job is to sell parts, not provide support. If they tell you that they can't get a part for a KRONOS, ask what the replacement part is. If they don't know, your national Korg Distributor will be able to help. To my knowledge, there are no components in the KRONOS which cannot either be obtained directly, or replaced with a suitable substitute (from later models, for instance).

Hope this helps,

Dan

For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
prophet5

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.... The guys at Korg support also suggested I try a list of service centers that they sent. I called every one with no luck. Most of these chassis parts they never stocked. I also needed the front rail below the keybed. It also was listed as discontinued but they had two left in stock so I jumped on that. If these things are hard to locate now just think what it will be like when they have a couple more years on them.
If someone knows of another source, other than parts is parts..such as a service center that stocked some spares..... Please let us know.
prophet5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most chassis parts for Kronos and Kronos X are no longer available... at least the 88 key versions for sure. Where Korg has done a great job keeping us up to date in the software department, there is no more support if you have an accident.... make sure you use sturdy stands.... if there are keyboards on tiers above make sure they are secure and don't slide onto your Kronos.... when shipping, well I guess that's just a crap shoot.
As for me, since there are no more end caps or front key bars in existence, I'll be gigging with a $3000 keyboard held together with duct tape.... nice.....
lonelagranger

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you could have a local woodworker make the end caps for you, out of some nice wood. I wouldn't (no pun intended) think it would (here I go again) be that hard.
prophet5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may look into that.... thanks for the suggestion. The way those end caps attach to the metal frames is pretty tricky though... it would take some work.
The front bar is the more important piece.... it kind of ties and holds the whole thing together.......the metal is so thin that when it fell it just crumpled all over.
Still can't imagine why they wouldn't keep a few in stock for a while... same bar for Kronos X which i assume was just discontinued recently.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really love my Kronos but I don't think I'll ever get wood for it.
rpowell01

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lonelagranger wrote:
Maybe you could have a local woodworker make the end caps for you, out of some nice wood. I wouldn't (no pun intended) think it would (here I go again) be that hard.

This would be your best bet or even make your own if you good at wood working.

It also appears Korg is purposely doing this to kind of make people purchase the new Kronos 2.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call Korg USA. They have a set of end caps on order for you to purchase. Let me know your name so that I can tell them and close the loop.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I really love my Kronos but I don't think I'll ever get wood for it.

Me neither. Razz
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope there will be end caps available ... personally I don't like wooden end caps (more weight, easily scratched).

However, so far I only got one Korg synth with a damaged site cap (Triton Extreme), and I didn't try to replace it.

I know a lot of people like design, but for me, I wouldn't mind if all end caps for 'bigger' (Korg) synths would all be the same in future.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
prophet5

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much Dan! Sent you an email.....
mitchell chastain
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: