Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Effects on Kronos
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roadman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Effects on Kronos Reply with quote

I'm struggling a bit to get my head around the effects in a Kronos, been a roland and yamaha user until recently - can anyone point to any threads or tutorials in this area? Adding insert and master effects to combinations and programmes is what I need.

Any help be great
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you could be missing is the how the Kronos routes the signal to the effects.

Look at a Program that doesn't have effects assigned or an INIT PROGRAM.

Go to IFX Tab and the ROUTING
Towards the bottom left you'll see ALL OSCx to:
The default is L/R, change this to IFX1. You should see a blue line at the top showing routing.
Go to the INSERT FX tab.
At the top click on the OFF button for IFX1 and turn it ON.
Select the area next to the ON/OFF button that says 000: No Effect.
Use the INC/DEC or Dial to move through the various effects. You can play while you're scrolling through them to hear how they affect the sound.

Notice the CHAIN column. If you click on the chain button in the IFX1 row, routing now goes to IFX2. You can now repeat the above for IFX2. You can continue in this manner for up to 12 insert FX.

The IFX1-12 Tab allows you to set parameters for each of the insert effects.

The MFX/TFX Tab allows to master sends and two master insert effects. This area is commonly used to apply reverb and/or overall compressor/limiter.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice explanation, Busch.

Roadman -- I also missed it at first, but when you are on the page where you can edit the individual parameters of an effect to your liking, take a look in the upper right. There you can choose from some useful FX presets.

I myself am still trying to figure out how the drum kit FX works.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Effects on Kronos Reply with quote

Roadman wrote:
I'm struggling a bit to get my head around the effects in a Kronos, been a roland and yamaha user until recently - can anyone point to any threads or tutorials in this area? Adding insert and master effects to combinations and programmes is what I need.

Any help be great

Hi, I'm a long time Yamaha user, now with a Kronos. The effects are a lot more flexible in the Kronos, and have already been explained.

Compared to my EX and Motif Rack ES
  • Yamaha Voice - can have two insert effects; Kronos can have 12
  • In my EX5 the number of Insert Effects in a Performance are limited to one set (of 2 insert effects) for up to four voices (Assuming all voices are AWM) and on my Motif Rack ES you can have 8 parts with insert effects active in a Multi. In a Korg Combi the 12 insert effects are shared across all Timbres (Parts) in a Combi, so you may need to do some juggling with complex Combis. Note - the Combi context menu "Copy From Program" can copy effects, and will automatically remap the effects to the next ones free.
  • Chorus and Reverb Send Effects in Voices/Performances/Multis- equate to the Master Effects in the Kronos, but are unrestricted in the Kronos as to what effects you use.
  • Master Effects in the Motif Rack ES are like the Total Effects on the Kronos.
  • And in the Kronos you have 3 band EQ as well (including on all Timbres in a Combi)

HTH. I am finding it takes a while to get your head around the Korg way of doing things, not helped by the Kronos being so deep (why I purchased it! Smile ) so there is a lot to learn.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drumkits are tricky. You can route a drumkit program to the IFX like regular programs, but then you will get the FX on the entire kit, instead of e.g. just a compressor on the snare. If you want to split the drumkit pieces to use FX on individual drums or sets of drums, you need to set up that routing in the global/drumkit page. Note that this will affect all drumkit programs that use the drumkit you edit in global (the same way that program edits affect all combis), so if you want to experiment or significantly change kits, save to a user location and/or backup your PCG.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For fun I once split the drum kit up so that I had each part on a different midi track so I could have control over the volumes of different drums and cymbals. I also had different IFX on different things.

If I have time today, I am going to set up a drum kit doing just that. I like to use the drum loops and I'm recording into Cubase so I'm hoping to have individual tracks in Cubase for each drum.

I'm using the Wild Rock Kit as a starting point.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
Drumkits are tricky. You can route a drumkit program to the IFX like regular programs, but then you will get the FX on the entire kit, instead of e.g. just a compressor on the snare. If you want to split the drumkit pieces to use FX on individual drums or sets of drums, you need to set up that routing in the global/drumkit page. Note that this will affect all drumkit programs that use the drumkit you edit in global (the same way that program edits affect all combis), so if you want to experiment or significantly change kits, save to a user location and/or backup your PCG.

Thanks for the overview. If we could, let's take a practical example to see if I understand this correctly.

I've selected Combi INT A-004, Organic Niacinism. Track 3 is I-F119, Funk Kit (mono).

However, when I go to GLOBAL, the selected Drum Kit is I-00 Trance Kit. So I figure, hit dropdown to select my Funk Kit, but there's no I-F119 from above... just another Funk Kit at I-26...?

I'm com-fused.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
SanderXpander wrote:

Thanks for the overview. If we could, let's take a practical example to see if I understand this correctly.

I've selected Combi INT A-004, Organic Niacinism. Track 3 is I-F119, Funk Kit (mono).

However, when I go to GLOBAL, the selected Drum Kit is I-00 Trance Kit. So I figure, hit dropdown to select my Funk Kit, but there's no I-F119 from above... just another Funk Kit at I-26...?

I'm com-fused.

combis are using program references, so you should press the Program button and then select bank I-F program 119

A drum program like this uses one of the drumkits as defined in the global section. So it's possible to create several funk program drum sounds based on the same drum kit.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Qui. I did go to F-119 and found the Funk Drum Kit.

It had 4 IFX routings set up, no effect for each one. I changed IFX one to something obvious, a multi-tap delay. However, only about an octave of the drums have the delay effect, the rest are dry.

I saved it as is, then went back to the Combi. The drums do not have the delay effect anywhere. I'm going to pursue this at a different time.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drumkit programs use a drumkit as oscillator. Look in the drumkit program on the oscillator/basic page to find which one.
In global/drumkit you can edit that drumkit oscillator, and in it is contained the routing for all the IFX. Not the actual FX, mind, but the way the different drums are routed to IFX1 through 12.

So when you assigned a delay effect in the drumkit program, only the keys that were routed to the delay in that drumkit oscillator responded.
Hope that makes sense. To recap:

Edit the routing of which key goes to which IFX slot in the global/drumkit page.
Make sure there is a drumkit program using your edited drumkit oscillator. In program or combi mode, assign the IFX however needed. Note that in program or combi mode you can send a drumkit to an IFX slot or main L/R or select "drumkit" mode: this last one is the custom routing you created in global.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
Thanks Qui. I did go to F-119 and found the Funk Drum Kit.

It had 4 IFX routings set up, no effect for each one. I changed IFX one to something obvious, a multi-tap delay. However, only about an octave of the drums have the delay effect, the rest are dry.

I saved it as is, then went back to the Combi. The drums do not have the delay effect anywhere. I'm going to pursue this at a different time.

what sanderxpander says is correct.

However, i think you refer to the DKIT behavior, In the parameter guide there is a section dedicated to this behavior (check the section insert effects routing - settings for drum programs).

there you can see that if you have selected the checkbox DKIT in a combi or program that it almost always uses the following FX setup
Snares → IFX1
Kicks → IFX2
Toms → IFX3
Cymbals → IFX4
Percussion etc. → IFX5

So if you want to have compressor on the kick,. then select a compressor in IFX2, if you want a little reverb on the snares set a reverb in ifx 1, if you set a delay in IFX1 then you will hear a delay on the snares.
If you don't want that behaviour then just uncheck the DKIT checkbox for that specific program.

Easy, but so powerful once you know how it works!
Roadman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses, very useful, it is just a process, will get there.
Couple if quick questions -

1) Master effect send 1 and 2 - where is this set for each Timbre within a combi? Eg if I want reverb set at varying levels across differing timbres using the master effects?

2)Are the effects within programmes that you choose to put into a combi automatically copied over with the programme? If not, how do you make this happen, or not, depending on what you require?

Any help most welcome Very Happy
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, didn't know about the 'standard' routing, I never use drumkits.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadman wrote:
Thanks for all the responses, very useful, it is just a process, will get there.
Couple if quick questions -

1) Master effect send 1 and 2 - where is this set for each Timbre within a combi? Eg if I want reverb set at varying levels across differing timbres using the master effects?

2)Are the effects within programmes that you choose to put into a combi automatically copied over with the programme? If not, how do you make this happen, or not, depending on what you require?

Any help most welcome Very Happy

these questions are answered in one of my tutorials, i can really recommend to build the combi i show in the beginning of the tutorial, it will take 30 minutes or so to do so, but then you have learned the basics of copying programs to combis and modifying the effect settings.

The how to section starts at 4:25

rob_tky

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadman wrote:

I had a similar question. There was an interesting related discussion here
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=613955#613955
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: