Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

why should I buy new kronos?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
unixmill

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: why should I buy new kronos? Reply with quote

some good reasons:
-new look
-some new sounds, including a new piano
-cheaper

anything else? not so convincing

If I was marketing director at Korg for kronos division, I would need to think twice about value for the money and how to allure more users.

existing kronos owners:
-need to provide some value to existing kronos owners. there is nothing since OS v3 is available for existing kronos
-is the new hardware faster? still takes same 2 mins to boot up, may be faster for other tasks, but older kronos was just fine
-DAW integration? does not look like anything new. motif is years ahead.

new kronos owners:
-price does not justify a workstation.
-pick up an older kronos for lot of cheaper

Korg, what is your marketing plan? tell me why I should buy a new kronos?
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the original Kronos and I don't feel that I need to buy the new one. I don't think that Korg would expect me to either, it's customer choice.

It's just normal that a company evolves it's products. I think it's great that Korg are moving forward, I am imagining how good my next Korg Workstation will be in say, 5 years when I'm ready to change again.

That's how I see it anyway.

Last edited by runningman67 on Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
genehart

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is no marketing conspiracy behind ,
probably someone who didn't realize in time , how great this thing is
were disappointed that previous models are discontinued.
and those who realize will never sell their own Smile
KORG just made some more beautiful instruments to make players happy.
SGX-1 pianos were better and better from their first German grand
to Austrian .
It's been confirmed many times that OS 3 will be available by the end of month for previous models owners as well as new Berlin piano , which I've no doubt is even better than previous SGX pianos .
It still boots 2 minutes , so what ...
Why look for the "cons" , while there's lots of the "pros"
Thanks to it's possibilities Kronos can swallow motif and other big keyboards using sampling , of course if we take enough time and work on it well .
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: why should I buy new kronos? Reply with quote

unixmill wrote:
some good reasons:
-new look
-some new sounds, including a new piano
-cheaper

anything else? not so convincing
If I was marketing director at Korg for kronos division, I would need to think twice about value for the money and how to allure more users.

existing kronos owners:
-need to provide some value to existing kronos owners. there is nothing since OS v3 is available for existing kronos

new kronos owners:
-price does not justify a workstation.
-pick up an older kronos for lot of cheaper

Korg, what is your marketing plan? tell me why I should buy a new kronos?

Surely, there are more negatives. Let's make a stronger effort
Smile talk me out of it
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice first post troll.

I suggest you pick up one of those new white Motif XFs

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
unixmill

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg is in the business of selling musical instruments to make money. Sustaining their customers and alluring more clients is very important to them.
I posted this message 30mins ago, I got 44 views in 30mins, at least 1 view per min. just based on that, I say Korg is very successful on this marketing. I love my kronos. but I am seriously looking into buying the new one. Hence my ranting... Smile, nothing negative about korg nor kronos but strictly facts. That is all Smile

genehart wrote:
to Austrian .
It's been confirmed many times that OS 3 will be available by the end of month for previous models owners as well as new Berlin piano , which I've no doubt is even better than previous SGX pianos .
Thanks to it's possibilities Kronos can swallow motif and other big keyboards using sampling , of course if we take enough time and work on it well .
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unixmill wrote:
Korg is in the business of selling musical instruments to make money. Sustaining their customers and alluring more clients is very important to them.
I posted this message 30mins ago, I got 44 views in 30mins, at least 1 view per min. just based on that, I say Korg is very successful on this marketing. I love my kronos. but I am seriously looking into buying the new one. Hence my ranting... Smile, nothing negative about korg nor kronos but strictly facts. That is all Smile

genehart wrote:
to Austrian .

ok, you did convince me that you were the director of Korg marketing
( or a perfect impersonation).

so I am still waiting for more ' facts '. or Internet forum analysis. somewhat equal in value
Laughing
slowtrain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have mentioned DAW integration in one of the videos, but they haven't said anything specific yet.
SDDP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding V3, here's a question for you techies.
As you know up grading version in .1 or .5 is fine. but going from a . to a whole number generally uses more cpu and computer resources. Case in point on a Macpro or even an iPhone if you have ver 6 that it came with and it's perfectly fine to up grade to 6.1, 6.4, etc. but once V7 comes out and you upgrade to that, the product DOES take a hit in processing and speed. Which is why I never (or rarely) upgrade any of my products unless it have to for a specific software that I need that also requires the new update. I run a protools studio and NEVER upgrade the mac software to a new ver.. Again unless the the latest protools that I need requires it and I have no choice and yes I do notice a hit.
So with that being said, would it be the same scenario with upgrading the Kronos when the new ver comes out?
And I DO NOT want my 2min to upgrade to 3.5 min.

Thanks
Kronos 88X
genehart

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we'll see in time )
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDDP wrote:
the product DOES take a hit in processing and speed. Which is why I never (or rarely) upgrade any of my products unless it have to for a specific software that I need that also requires the new update.

Thanks

my iPad 2 runs better/faster with the new IOS.

so there are exceptions.

its early of course, but I don't buy into any fear factor that 3.0 will automatically make my 3 yr old Kronos run slower

Lets just give the thing a chance. end of November- only 2 weeks.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDDP wrote:
Regarding V3, here's a question for you techies.
As you know up grading version in .1 or .5 is fine. but going from a . to a whole number generally uses more cpu and computer resources. Case in point on a Macpro or even an iPhone if you have ver 6 that it came with and it's perfectly fine to up grade to 6.1, 6.4, etc. but once V7 comes out and you upgrade to that, the product DOES take a hit in processing and speed. Which is why I never (or rarely) upgrade any of my products unless it have to for a specific software that I need that also requires the new update. I run a protools studio and NEVER upgrade the mac software to a new ver.. Again unless the the latest protools that I need requires it and I have no choice and yes I do notice a hit.
So with that being said, would it be the same scenario with upgrading the Kronos when the new ver comes out?
And I DO NOT want my 2min to upgrade to 3.5 min.

Thanks

Going to a new version not always means that more memory or cpu power is needed. Sometimes it is true, but certainly not a rule.

Actually, in most cases going to a new version means additional features, bug fixes etc. The only risk for a new release is introduced new bugs, but so far Korg has made few new bugs and when they made, they fixed them very fast.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can tell, all the maximum voices for each engine are the same, so I doubt if the CPU is any faster... why should it be, it does the job (maybe it's a software limit... maybe it IS a faster CPU and you lucky new Kronos users might get a V3.1 upgrade that doubles polyphony. Who knows?)

Regarding the boot time, I have never seen it as a problem, there's an awful lot of data being loaded there - still faster than my old (and sold) Fantom X.

I can also see that the new V3 PRELOAD.KSC, with EXs17/18, leaves you with 760MB RAM free, as opposed to 1,129MB with the Kronos/X, so yes, loading times are probably going to be longer.

I have no idea what Korg have in store for the Kronos, but remember that the basic design has been with us since 2005 with the Oasis, and let's be honest... not much has really changed, it's all been a logical, and increasingly more affordable evolution. Korg never mentioned that the Kronos would be an "Open System" like they did with the Oasis, but that's precisely what they've given us (so far), and I sincerely applaud their commitment to us older Kronos users.

There's STILL nothing on the market like it after all this time.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't like V3 I beleive you can always go back to whatever you were using before you updated. No problem!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
alanjpearson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unixmill wrote:

genehart wrote:
to Austrian .

This all depends where Korg are on their marketing journey with the Kronos.

It is a well established "product" and now they can afford to reduce the price to attract new buyers.
The new look might also just attract old customers too.

People don't buy based "strictly on facts", they buy in combination with their hearts.

Why would you ever buy another car unless you wore the old one out?
Your old car has an engine and four wheels, it does the job.
The new one has a spoiler or snazzy wheels and goes faster, or has free maintenance.

You buy on the fact that the new Kronos has more features but also because it has cool or just looks the dog bollocks, or Rick Wakeman has one.

www.losendos.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: