Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos as a mixer live? Who does it?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniel Kinnaird

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Kronos as a mixer live? Who does it? Reply with quote

Wondering how many Kronos users actually use their Kronos as a mixer / sub-mixer at gigs?

Routing other keyboards through the audio inputs?
Assigning outputs to separate bass sounds from others?
Do your sound guys appreciate it or do they prefer separate DI's for everything?

All feedback / input welcome!
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos as a mixer live? Who does it? Reply with quote

Daniel Kinnaird wrote:
Wondering how many Kronos users actually use their Kronos as a mixer / sub-mixer at gigs?

Routing other keyboards through the audio inputs?
Assigning outputs to separate bass sounds from others?
Do your sound guys appreciate it or do they prefer separate DI's for everything?

All feedback / input welcome!

Yeah, I do it all the time. I have invididual outs connected to Samson SM10 Line mixer. I use logic like - leads on individual output 1, pad-alike sounds on 2-3, ... Stuff like that. I also have a TR-Rack connected to SM10 and a MacBook running Mainstage via RME FireFace 400. Mix out from the SM10 goes to Rupert Neve Portico 5043 stereo limiter-compressor, and from that directly to mix desk. No DI's. This configuration enables me to "level" the signals easier. Also I have a Ultranova synth and akai pad sampler connected to oasys inputs.
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.

Last edited by vEddY on Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
narf
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done this before using a nord electro going through the Kronos, even using the iFX for the nord. I've also used separate outs for bass and drum sounds when I used to perform using the sequencer. Works great!

Kronos Ultimate Covers Pack
Purusha

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used my Kronos as mixer and effects for my Moog Voyager at gigs, but prefer the flexibility of using a real mixer. When something goes wrong, it's much easier and quicker to work things out with a mixer.

Also, I can change patches on the Kronos without affecting what's happening with another synth which I might be playing with one hand at the time.

If the Kronos were to crash and need rebooting, there'd be a fair amount of waiting around. The Kronos can become a single-point of complete failure if everything goes through it.

If I'm in keyboard-with-a-band mode (instead of the usual one or two man electronics), then I normally use my Kronos on the bottom, an analogue synth on the top. The analogue synth often goes into an old Boss GT6 guitar pedal unit for effects. They then normally both go into my Roland BA330 amp for monitoring. The PA then takes a stereo pair from that ...or I use a Mackie desk for mixing.
black953mj

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, Prophet 12 through the Kronos for gigs. Occasionally use Kronos effects on P12 on some songs. I also have a Samson SM10 in my travel rack for other instruments before sending to the main board. Used to keep the two keyboards seprate but found it much easier to manage the relative volume of both when routing through the Kronos. Now all my combinations set the volume on my p12 to the correct level. If I need to tweak it a little I use the slider on the Kronos.
Minimoog Voyager - DSI Prophet 12 - Sequential Prophet 6 - DSI OB-6 - Access Virus Ti2 - Korg Kronos 2 - KingKORG - Novation MiniNova - Roland JU-06 - Roland RD-700GX - Novation Bass Station Rack - EMU Proteus 2000 - Various other old musical gadgets and dodads
Daniel Kinnaird

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input all!

For those using the Samson SM10... What does it offer that the Kronos doesn't internally?

black953mj: Forgive my ignorance! Do you control the audio input volume using one of the sliders?
PCFREE
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the usb input to get the sound from my iPad or MacBook Pro when projecting video at church, for example

....as we forgive those who synthesize against us!!
adamburgess

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the 1 in for my AX-synth and acoustic guitar as an FX unit... The chorus and comp sound great on my cheapy Washburn! They're both thru the same wireless pack but the patches are set differently set so they come out of 1/2 and 3/4 to our house mixer. Used a mic in, too for a vocoder for a time.

I'll add to this... I have the EXT control surface set up to control the most important bits of our Behringer X32 mixer thru MIDI, too. Works great and is a back up for the iPad control. Have FX sends etc on the knobs and the most important channels (vocals etc) mapped onto the faders.

Last edited by adamburgess on Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
black953mj

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Daniel, I should have been more clear! I control the actual volume of the P12 with the slider via midi.

When I am setting up my combinations I assign an slot to control on external synth(s) via midi. I then set the relative volume of the Kronos sounds and the P12 (again, via midi on the Kronos). I save these setting in the combi.

If I need the P12 do be a bit louder on a song for some reason I can adjust the volume from either the dedicated slider on the Kronos OR the volume knob on the P12, whichever is more convenient.

Hope this helps!
Minimoog Voyager - DSI Prophet 12 - Sequential Prophet 6 - DSI OB-6 - Access Virus Ti2 - Korg Kronos 2 - KingKORG - Novation MiniNova - Roland JU-06 - Roland RD-700GX - Novation Bass Station Rack - EMU Proteus 2000 - Various other old musical gadgets and dodads
black953mj

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw the question on the use of the SM10. The reason I use is because there are gigs where I am running more that two keyboards. Sometimes I've got a guitar I'm playing as well. Rather than sending a bunch of lines back to the main mixing desk we sub-mix my setup on the SM10 and send a stereo out to the main desk.

You can use the Kronos to mix one other keyboard (maybe two if you are running mono) but after that you are going to have to send a bunch of lines to the main board or do your own sub-mix.

Just a personal preference, no reason why we could not send everything through our main board.
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do this with my king korg. Very good idea since the king has a very limited FX section... plus the kronos O-Verb is just so...

mmmm Smile

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polysix chorus does really well with those vintage sounds too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: