Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What to get whilst waiting for the Kronos 2?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Keyboard to get whilst waiting for Kronos 2 in Feb March 2015?
Get a cheap Kronos or Kronos X untill the Kronos 2 comes out
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Sell your PX 350 and get a Krome you can use it to learn about Synths in the mean time
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Get an Analogue Synthesizer - King Korg or other brand model like...
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Get an "Arranger" keyboards
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Save your money you only need the Kronos 2
60%
 60%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 23

bud01

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: What to get whilst waiting for the Kronos 2? Reply with quote

Hi all first post here, hope all you guys are making the most of your Kronos units.

Im pretty excited about the Kronos 2.
Here is my story back ground see if you can give me any advice?

Obviously I am looking at getting a Kronos 2, I understand I am going to need to study it.

I will have the money for one in around 20 days, like Dec 15 I will have like 2 months wages, plus two months over time and I have done a shed load of OT.

Sep 2013 I bought a Casio Px 350 (with out the stand) from the casio centre (music room?) in demark street W1.

I have been messing around with that, doing stuff like learning chopin ballade no1 up to 2minute mark (first ever song effort, pretty impressed with myself).built in beats of the Casio I am starting to get bored with when I just let it all out when doing what ive learnt of jazz etc, the keyboard action is really lovely I have to say on the PX 350 I now want to get some thing a bit more, I have no issue at all with the PX350 I am totally satisfied with it except more sounds and beats.

I want the Korg Kronos and I can see online that I can pick up a used one 88 key or a 73-X version for £2k or around £1.7k.

that is more than fine for me but I am more than happy to stretch to 2.9k etc for the Kronos 2 I think its a mistake to get a normal Kronos when the new one is out soon. But I don't want to wait until Feb or March I want some thing funky, fat, good beats, AND when I pick up the kronos 2 it wont be a keyboard that will be made redundant and I will want / need to keep it for messing around in my home studio etc.

My background is IT support but that did not stop me uninstalling
Kontakt 5 player when I could not even get it to play out of my sound card
Very Happy

I secretly have a dream that one day I will be able to use at least reasonable well a nice home music studio. I don't have much space so would like to get one of those double keyboard stands.

What do you guys think?

Only other aspect to mention is that I am thinking about doing online lesions with a tutor or getting some master classes in the future to really get the most of the Kronos.

If you had a standard home digital keyboard or maybe not even any keyboard and knew you were going to get a Kronos 2, in the mean time which keyboard would you get to really provide some great home studio spectrum?

my budget is like 8.5k minus say 850x2 for rent, another 900 living , Kronos is 3000. that leaves with me around 2900,

What stop gap, addition to the kronos do you get for say 2k?

I get to sell my px 350 as well for 300 to 500, it has the stand now and is totally mint as new and also has the box.

We stay away from the King Korg here right and get ?????????

Thank you Kronos owners for any advice.

I am into virtual reality and advanced gaming - Rig - Obutto r3volution - Obsidian 900D - ASUS Duluxe x99 - i7 5820k@4080mhz - 1TB Samsung EVO - Corsair Vengeance DDR4 (black) 16gb 2800Mhz - 3GB Asus GTX 780 Ti DirectCU II OC - 3 x Asus VN279QLB - 1x Oculus Dk2- Blu-ray - Mionix Naos 8200 Mouse - Asus Xonar Phoebus Solo - Razer Tiamat 7.1 true - (DT 770 PRO Headphones + PX350 piano + Omnisphere - Focusrite 6i6 - SE2200a IIC )- T500RS Wheel + TH8a Shifter - Warthog Hotas + Saitek Combat Pedals - IPhone6 128gb + QC20i
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading about your keyboard background, I would suggest an arranger keyboard. It will have many more styles for you to play with. The Kronos has a steep learning curve and I have a feeling you may get frustrated with it too quickly.
Past Instruments of Construction: Hammond A100 w/Leslie 760, Korg R3, Roland AxSynth, Korg Poly61, Korg M1, Univox MaxiKorg, Korg MS2000, (2) Moog Concertmate MG1, (2) Hammond X5, Rhodes Mark I & 2, Farfisa Compact, Yamaha S08, Casio SK1, Strymon Mobius, Custom Bass Pedals, Burns B3 Theremin.
scottgblood

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with the above, get a second hand yamaha tyros or korg pa50 in the short term to get used to a more advanced keyboard, if your adament you want a synth then try a second hand phantom.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You hadn't mentioned what your studio would have equipment wise so I was wondering about that. That and what kinds of music you wanted to do/record in your studio. I have a small room in my apartment that my wife and I use for our studio. She paints and I like to write and record my songs and sometimes friends music as well. Obviously we don't have drums here but I get a lot of mileage out of the Kronos drum tracks.

I'm pretty much a rock musician so there are a lot of guitars hanging on the walls.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or….
Get a used Kronos
Add SSD
Add RAM
Wait for OS 3.0 (2 weeks we are told)

Then you don't need anything more except a friendly carpenter and 2 pieces of quality wood Wink

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be the odd ball out and suggest a Sub37 from Moog or a DSI pro 2 or something along those lines. Even a minataur and small synth action keyboard then when you get your hammer weighted K2 you will have a nice synth action to play on. I have an sk mk2 49 key from novation and a QuNexus I can take out and about lightly and use with my computer or iPad phone.

Do you have a decent computer you can use for editors and or librarians, and downloading updates and sound set? Any desire for using you cash for extra libraries or like myself the Karma software? Good headphones, I love my DT880's, or monitors or PA if you think you would want or need them? I play through two QSC K10. Just some suggestions other then what you have seen above oh and don't forget a good ups and or stand and cables that you may need. Plan on recording do you have a DAW? Lots of things you may need.
vstkeys

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say, just use your current keyboard get Cubase 7 , groove agent 3 or reason 8 and there you have!! Never ending production tools + beats + sampling etc. The sky will be the limit for you with this gear.
It will hold your interest and keep you very busy beyond march 2015. Very Happy

Kronos is not a Daw and making beats on it? .....not sure unless you like using Karma ....Karma is great!

Now if March 2015 after you have used these awesome softwares and still have the money laying around, you could try and get the kronos 2.
But in my opinion you do not need a keyboard at all as you sound like you have heaps of musical ideas stuck in your head. Wait no more ...get these softwares and your studio dream will be fulfilled. Use the money for a nice holiday with your spouse perhaps in Brazil! then learn some samba, have some caipirinhas, feijoada, learn the local rhythms, have some lessons, go to gigs and get inspired by the local artists.
Phew..... I think I gave you too many ideas and now your music will sound great
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the Kronos and follow your dream.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that adds another different dimension to your planned rig would be my suggestion. A Prophet 12 would be a good consideration ... And everything else Bertotti said.
bud01

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That PROPHET 12 has impressed me greatly, the Sub37 from Moog was a great offering.

If you got a Prophet 12 and did not come with some thing funky as all heck just give up playing.

I am into virtual reality and advanced gaming - Rig - Obutto r3volution - Obsidian 900D - ASUS Duluxe x99 - i7 5820k@4080mhz - 1TB Samsung EVO - Corsair Vengeance DDR4 (black) 16gb 2800Mhz - 3GB Asus GTX 780 Ti DirectCU II OC - 3 x Asus VN279QLB - 1x Oculus Dk2- Blu-ray - Mionix Naos 8200 Mouse - Asus Xonar Phoebus Solo - Razer Tiamat 7.1 true - (DT 770 PRO Headphones + PX350 piano + Omnisphere - Focusrite 6i6 - SE2200a IIC )- T500RS Wheel + TH8a Shifter - Warthog Hotas + Saitek Combat Pedals - IPhone6 128gb + QC20i
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i got a Novation SL MK2 while waiting on the new Kronos.
toohip

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a good bottle of Scotch and a good woman... Wink
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have time so research every possible item that gets you thinking. Especially DAW's they all are pretty well to go but everyone has its own quirks and workflow.
phil55

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really need a KRONOS, get a second hand one for about 1/3 or 1/4 of the price of a new one. Be sure to check it for possible issues as documented in various threads in these here forums.
bud01

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taken the chance and boiught a 12.

Order details:
1 x Dave Smith Instruments Prophet 12 Polyphonic Keyboard Synthesizer
1 x X-Frame Double Braced Keyboard Stand by Gear4music

Sub Total (exc. VAT):(GBP)1,685.84
Sub Total VAT:(GBP)337.17
Delivery (exc. VAT):(GBP)8.32
Delivery VAT:(GBP)1.67
Grand Total:(GBP)2,033.00

delivery is tommorow, when I get the kronos next year I will get a nice double stand.

The prophet looks fun. I guess posting pictures of it in the kronos forum will not be cool but if admin approved and there is a suitable area Ill post some tommorow.

looking forward to seeing this keyboard tommorow. Ill tell you guys what I make of it tommorow.

thanks very much to the other poster for the 12 recommendation, thanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: