Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Thoughts on Event Recorder for the Electribes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivander12 wrote:
I think you do not understand me.

Some folks were claiming, that you make an event recording of, let's say, Pattern A. Pattern A has 16 Parts. You mute/unmute parts, turn some knobs etc. You save this perfomance as an event recording.

Then there is Pattern B. It has 16 different parts than Pattern A. Now, I want to play Pattern B on top of the event recording data I previously recorded. If the event recorder records midi data, that would mean that the electribe has to render the midi notes into sounds from two different patterns, with 32 different parts. I dont know, but I strongly doubt that this is possible.

I understand what you are saying in this specific scenerio, but this scenerio was never brought up. All that you originally asked was "How did he manage to play the pattern and the event recorder data in sync?".

But now that you've described a more specific scenerio...

If he used the Event Recorder on Pattern A, all that event data would be specific to Pattern A unless he recorded himself switching over to Pattern B during the recorded event. Much like using Song Mode, the sequencer will automatically switch over to the patterns you tell it to, but it can't be used to play two different patterns at once. No one even suggested that. When I said earlier that you could "play" on top of the Event Recorder, I meant that you could still manually operate the keys, filter, knobs, mutes, etc. on top of what is currently being triggered. This is exactly what he is doing in the video.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivander12 wrote:
I asked the producer of this track:

Quote:
Olivander12

What does the event recorder actually record? Audio or midi?

Michael Sean O'Connor

Not Audio, it is a kind of data storage of the events played while recording but I can't answer how it is technicaly recorded. My guess is, it is Midi. 

Sweet, we have the answer...and all of us who thought "only midi data" were right on the money!
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
Olivander12

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-Member wrote:
Olivander12 wrote:
I think you do not understand me.

Some folks were claiming, that you make an event recording of, let's say, Pattern A. Pattern A has 16 Parts. You mute/unmute parts, turn some knobs etc. You save this perfomance as an event recording.

Then there is Pattern B. It has 16 different parts than Pattern A. Now, I want to play Pattern B on top of the event recording data I previously recorded. If the event recorder records midi data, that would mean that the electribe has to render the midi notes into sounds from two different patterns, with 32 different parts. I dont know, but I strongly doubt that this is possible.

I understand what you are saying in this specific scenerio, but this scenerio was never brought up. All that you originally asked was "How did he manage to play the pattern and the event recorder data in sync?".

But now that you've described a more specific scenerio...

If he used the Event Recorder on Pattern A, all that event data would be specific to Pattern A unless he recorded himself switching over to Pattern B during the recorded event. Much like using Song Mode, the sequencer will automatically switch over to the patterns you tell it to, but it can't be used to play two different patterns at once. No one even suggested that. When I said earlier that you could "play" on top of the Event Recorder, I meant that you could still manually operate the keys, filter, knobs, mutes, etc. on top of what is currently being triggered. This is exactly what he is doing in the video.

Yes, now we are bothing saying and meaning the same. I can't find the post, but I read someone saying event recorder to be superior to song mode, since it enables the possibility to play two different patterns at once. Because now, it is not better than song mode. It still records a perfomance whereas the Song Mode let you arrange patterns, which is what I am doing.
Olivander12

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMK wrote:
Olivander12 wrote:
I asked the producer of this track:

Quote:
Olivander12

What does the event recorder actually record? Audio or midi?

Michael Sean O'Connor

Not Audio, it is a kind of data storage of the events played while recording but I can't answer how it is technicaly recorded. My guess is, it is Midi. 

Sweet, we have the answer...and all of us who thought "only midi data" were right on the money!

Well, I doubt that everything which is recorded is actual midi data. We do not know yet if every knob actually can be controlled via midi.
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would I be correct in stating that the event recorder in the electribes is a bit similar to the DS10+'s "song mode" - basically in this software , when you program the song mode and motion sequences, etc., and then hit play, the patterns and data play in the order you've entered, etc., but you can still play alongside it...?

EDIT: There's a very specific reason why I mention the DS10+. For those non-users out there, the DS10+ DOES NOT HAVE MIDI. it is software for the nintendo DS. This goes with what I'm saying about INFORMATION.
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivander12 wrote:
Well, I doubt that everything which is recorded is actual midi data. We do not know yet if every knob actually can be controlled via midi.

The guy whom posted the video also responded to one of the comments with the following: "While the event recordre is on, you play and change all the parameters you want. So this was all recorded with it. I added the choir with the gate arpegiattor while recording."

So techincally, the Event Recorder operates using a combination of MIDI CC and SysEx data. Now this is a matter of preference, but to some this might actually be better than Song Mode because in addition to be able to create a chain of patterns in a row, you can now also capture control data and record additional notes in real time while doing so.

roblabs wrote:
Would I be correct in stating that the event recorder in the electribes is a bit similar to the DS10+'s "song mode" - basically in this software , when you program the song mode and motion sequences, etc., and then hit play, the patterns and data play in the order you've entered, etc., but you can still play alongside it...?

This is appears to correct. The only limitation I see is the synth engine possibly running out of polyphony when you have all 16 tracks triggering data, plus playing more notes on top of it all. Also, the major difference I see between the new Event Recorder and a Song Mode is that with the Event Recorder, you are capturing all your events in real time. In Song Mode, you usually have to program your chain in a stopped position, then press play to hear the chain of events afterward.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
robosardine
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how we will scroll through the event recorder to find the parts we want to hear again- I hope it's not just a clock type thing.
Olivander12

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robosardine wrote:
I wonder how we will scroll through the event recorder to find the parts we want to hear again- I hope it's not just a clock type thing.

I assumed that all you can do is playing back the event recorder file. Of course, if you have an one hour long file, a fast forward function is crucial, but I wouldn't be sure that Korg impelements it. The song mode hadn't such an option either.
wasstof

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm posting from my phone so can't use the "quote" function but...
It seems only moments since we were all worrying that we only had 4 bars to work with!
And Now a Volca Sample...
robosardine
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wasstof wrote:
It seems only moments since we were all worrying that we only had 4 bars to work with!

I think I know where you are coming from- but the pattern length is a much different affair than the event recorder length.

I wonder what most people would chose- if you could (while we're waiting).

either a) Lose the event recorder but get eight bars. or b) Keep the event recorder- and be left with four bars.

I would keep the event recorder
Olivander12

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robosardine wrote:
wasstof wrote:

I think I know where you are coming from- but the pattern length is a much different affair than the event recorder length.

either a) Lose the event recorder but get eight bars. or b) Keep the event recorder- and be left with four bars.

Doesn't the Electribe offers a resolution of 32th notes? So programming beats with bpm halfed gives you 8 bars with the same resolution as the EMX had.
robosardine
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivander12 wrote:
robosardine wrote:
wasstof wrote:

Doesn't the Electribe offers a resolution of 32th notes? So programming beats with bpm halfed gives you 8 bars with the same resolution as the EMX had.

Yes of course it does-in theory- but then you lose the resolution (which will prove to be very useful-and the little lights don't move the way they should)- and it's going to get complicated for syncng etc- not ideal- it's a workaround- not a feature. It's only four bars.

You can set the resolution of the EMX and ESX to 32 if you want to- great for doing drums in particular- only over four bars though- but officially 32 as a setting for all practical use. I don't think many people are aware of this feature.

I'll put you down as a b) then Smile
Olivander12

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may. 4 bars are totally fine, as they are the key element of most edm tracks. Of course, for some hi-speed gernes, or people who like to have 64th notes, 8 bars would be better.
Tom 62

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivander12 wrote:
4 bars are totally fine, as they are the key element of most edm tracks.

Maybe for the wub wub kids Razz
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robosardine wrote:

I would choose "B" as well. When I used to sequence out full length backing tracks on my MC-505 and MC-808, I would always do it in small four bar chunks, then chain them together in Song Mode. The option to do much larger patterns was there (99 measures on the 808!), but I still preferred four bar patterns since it made things easier to map out the song structures on paper for my other band mates.

Now, one thing I'm really curious about is if the Event Recorder has a looping feature while playing back the file. If so, you could program something like four different patterns separately, then chain them in a row with the Event Recorder and have them keep looping in sequence over and over as if it were one really long single pattern.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: