Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Thoughts on Event Recorder for the Electribes
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: New Thoughts on Event Recorder for the Electribes Reply with quote

OK, here's an example of how the event recorder function might trump song mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bice3Od-QqA

it seems like he's used the event recorder for the backing parts of the song, and then, while its playing, he went and played over it. If I am not mistaken about this, then this electribe really is standalone in the sense that you can even jam with what you record with new patterns/parts!
Olivander12

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This leads to a lot of questions I am currently unable to answer. Here are some assumptions:

The Event Recorder must be playing prerecorded audio. The electribe cannot be able to render the audio twice.

How did he manage to play the pattern and the event recorder data in sync? Manually, or is there even a sync function?
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do people keep thinking that it records audio and not MIDI? If it recorded actual audio, the manual or specs would have stated a maximum recording length for this feature. It would also require much more RAM for rendering an audio clip that long. Everything you are seeing in this video is possible with MIDI.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-member,

To be honest, I don't know WHAT this thing does. I started this post for speculation based on the video poster's publishing comment. I'm still in the dark as to what the event recorder does. No where in the manual does it say it records MIDI, but then, it also says "information", which is pretty close, so...

Basically everything in the manual and parameter guide about Event Recorder is very vague, and thus this remains elusive until someone actually clears it up with a video demo.
Olivander12

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-Member wrote:
Why do people keep thinking that it records audio and not MIDI? If it recorded actual audio, the manual or specs would have stated a maximum recording length for this feature. It would also require much more RAM for rendering an audio clip that long. Everything you are seeing in this video is possible with MIDI.

If there is a way to play event recording data and a pattern at the same time, the event recorder must play audio data, beacuse the electribe cannot render two midi streams at once.
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-Member wrote:

Actually it states in the manual a maximum of 100 of these can be recorded.
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"the electribe cannot render two midi streams at once."

What makes you say that? It's a multi-track sequencer and pretty every MIDI sequencer I've used allows you to dub or even play additional information on top of existing channel data. Also, any device that responds to MIDI can receive messages from multiple streams as long as each stream is on the same channel. It's no different than connecting a MIDI keyboard to the machine and playing two different notes at the same time, one on the machine, the other on the controller. The only way it won't "render" multiple messages at once is if the polyphony maxes out, which then the most recent note replaces the last.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
robosardine
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sampler has the same feature- but it can only sample for 200 plus seconds. I would think it is unlikely that further to this it will then digitally record lengthy events.

I couldn't see much in the video- it looked proper manky in there. - He says that he was playing live over the event so he wouldn't have had/needed it sync'd. But maybe you can.
Tom 62

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new tribe's event recording -- one of the last mysteries of the mankind Very Happy

Maybe one of the early adopters can check the file size of a event recording.

When the event recording is MIDI why isn't it possible to edit/overdub the recording? At the moment you can exactly NOTHING after the events has been recorded. Regarding the manual you can't even sync it. Thats smells like audio.
Olivander12

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-Member wrote:

What makes you say that? It's a multi-track sequencer and pretty every MIDI sequencer I've used allows you to dub or even play additional information on top of existing channel data. Also, any device that responds to MIDI can receive messages from multiple streams as long as each stream is on the same channel. It's no different than connecting a MIDI keyboard to the machine and playing two different notes at the same time, one on the machine, the other on the controller. The only way it won't "render" multiple messages at once is if the polyphony maxes out, which then the most recent note replaces the last.

The problem is not the midi data, the problem is that if the event recorder saves midi data which is then rendered in real time, there must be an electribe inside of an electribe, because one has to render the original pattern while the other engine renders the event recorder data.
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the side that says "Event Recorder, records midi events only". Which, to me, makes all of the sense in the world.
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: New Thoughts on Event Recorder for the Electribes Reply with quote

roblabs wrote:
OK, here's an example of how the event recorder function might trump song mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bice3Od-QqA

This really is the best song demo thous far. I mean this is a complete piece ready for EDC.
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
robosardine
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivander12 wrote:
Re-Member wrote:

The problem is not the midi data, the problem is that if the event recorder saves midi data which is then rendered in real time, there must be an electribe inside of an electribe, because one has to render the original pattern while the other engine renders the event recorder data.

Maybe you can only play along with the event recorder if there is at least one track of the sixteen untouched for you to use (if it is midi).
Olivander12

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked the producer of this track:

Quote:
Olivander12

What does the event recorder actually record? Audio or midi?

Michael Sean O'Connor

Not Audio, it is a kind of data storage of the events played while recording but I can't answer how it is technicaly recorded. My guess is, it is Midi. 

Maybe then you can play something on top of the event recorder data if there is at least on part free.
robosardine
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like that is what it is then. Something unique to this new electribe that will remember your playing actions for later replay- but not midi- because you can't sync it- but you will still need a free track to play along with it. It's an innovation- which is why it is called something we have never heard of?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: