Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can someone explain over sampling from 48khz to 192 or 384

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh523

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Can someone explain over sampling from 48khz to 192 or 384 Reply with quote

Hi I'm recording with USB out of the Kronos in the SEQ (48khz). At 96khz the track sounds the most boomy. Can someone explain the effect of over sampling to 192 as far as the general sound texture and effect on mid range harmonics like in the hundreds. Not like technical stuff but the way this would affect a drum track / acoustics? I am wondering if anyone knows of a specific sound that it would carry at 48 to 96 versus 48 to 192 etc. thanks. Josh
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposedly, only your dog's ears might perceive some difference at 96K. I know you don't want to hear the technical stuff, but this is a good article at karma-lab:

Choosing a Sampling Frequency

(If you don't want to read it, it basically says to record at 48K, 24bit.)

If you are hearing something, maybe someone else could chime in about the USB settings. I haven't used them, yet.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always record at 44.1KHz/24 bit. There are a few VST instruments that have a lot going on in the upper end and some ampsims as well, but they all have a "HQ" button somewhere that effectively upsamples to 88.2KHz and back. I've never noticed any difference in regular recording quality. I think clock stability is a greater issue than sampling frequency. With a really good clock, there isn't really anything in the audible spectrum that you can't capture at 44.1KHz. And with a bad clock, even high sampling frequencies will be inaccurate.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oversampling when recording isn't that important, unless you're sampling rich harmonic content, or very high-freq content like cymbals.

It is more important when calculating non-linear stuff, like FM, ring modulation, distortion, waveshaping, because it pushes the Nyquist limit higher, which reduces overall aliasing in the resulting signal.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what you mean by oversampling in this context? Because all DACs do this.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not talking about DACs or ADCs, I'm talking about oversampling in synthesis as a measure to combat aliasing.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just didn't get the "oversampling when recording". But I agree about softsynths!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: