Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KRONOS REPLACEMENT TOUCH SCREEN UNAVAILABLE?????!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kshacklett

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: KRONOS REPLACEMENT TOUCH SCREEN UNAVAILABLE?????!!!!! Reply with quote

Please...before I unload..someone tell me it's not true. Please tell me that my $3,000 keyboard is not now WORTHLESS because of an unethical or down right stupid decision by SOMEONE at Korg not to make an indispensable, easily breakable replacement part available for their current flagship keyboard.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: KRONOS REPLACEMENT TOUCH SCREEN UNAVAILABLE?????!!!!! Reply with quote

kshacklett wrote:
Please...before I unload..someone tell me it's not true. Please tell me that my $3,000 keyboard is not now WORTHLESS because of an unethical or down right stupid decision by SOMEONE at Korg not to make an indispensable, easily breakable replacement part available for their current flagship keyboard.

and your source of this detail is….
kshacklett

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My source is Korg's main parts distributor: Parts is Parts. The guy there checked the progress on one he had on order and learned that they were no longer available. I also called Korg directly and was told the same thing. I'm waiting on a call back from Korg to confirm the situation.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kshacklett wrote:
My source is Korg's main parts distributor: Parts is Parts. The guy there checked the progress on one he had on order and learned that they were no longer available. I also called Korg directly and was told the same thing. I'm waiting on a call back from Korg to confirm the situation.

i recall that Korg commits to have a supply of parts for keyboards for several years. I think the figure is 10 yrs , possibly more. So Korg has to fix the problem, IMO
kshacklett

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant main US parts distributor, of course.. If anyone in the UK or elsewhere were to locate one for me...ASAP...I'd appreciate it very much. But, yes, Korg should most definitely rectify this situation.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Kerry

A voice from the past - Derek from Yamaha forums here. I truly hope that this is not the case! As a long standing Yamaha user (but bored with what Yamaha are doing these days), I made the jump to the Kronos. I am of course used to ringing up Yamaha spares and getting the parts I need for my Yammies. Perhaps I naively assumed that parts for my new Kronos would be readily available...

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
kshacklett

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Derek. FYI, Yesterday I had to run home and grab one of my EX5s after discovering the cracked touch screen on my Kronos. I made it back just in time to warm up for Larry the cable guy in front of about 3,000 people with closeups on four giant screens of me scrambling to find sounds I needed for the for each song. I was doing lead vocals and bass and reading charts. There were only three of us; two players and another singer. They invited us back next year, so I guess we pulled it off.

The Kronos is a monster, and I imagine a lot of people have made the switch from other brands. I have my gripes...including a couple pretty major ones...but over all its the best synth in existence, IMO.

It would be more than unfortunate if I can't get a touchscreen, it would be an outrage. I wonder if it's even legal for Korg to refuse to supply crucial replacement parts for an expensive keyboard line that is only three years old.

Best case scenario would be that this was some kind of oversight. If Korg doesn't rectify this problem a LOT of people are going to hear about it, including the thousands of people (many surely keyboard players) around the world who watch my youtube videos.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First rule: if something seems too crazy to be true, it generally isn't true.

I'll confirm, but meanwhile it's probably best to remain calm.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kshacklett wrote:
My source is Korg's main parts distributor: Parts is Parts.

My screen was broke and Parts is Parts was no help to me. You need to have a Korg authorized service center order the screen direct from Korg.
kshacklett

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the Korg USA website it says, "For all parts related inquiries, please contact our national parts distributor, Parts Is Parts (www.partsisparts.net , 800-590-0014) or any local Korg USA Authorized Dealer."

Glad someone is looking into this. I don't think any honest person would defend Korg if they indeed will not make this part available..in which case I will calmly flip my lid.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
kshacklett wrote:

i recall that Korg commits to have a supply of parts for keyboards for several years. I think the figure is 10 yrs , possibly more. So Korg has to fix the problem, IMO

Korg do not retain parts for anything like 10 years.

Many spare parts for OASYS were not even available at the latter stage of it's life before it was officially cancelled. You'd be luck to get parts two - three years beyond the life cycle of the instrument.

I have no measure of how poor Korg are overall on this front, but they are a fraction of what Yamaha retain. I can still get polyphonic pressure sensors for my DX1 (made in 1983) for example!

I recommend that for anyone investing seriously in a synthesizer technology to budget for two of them - I've done this with the OASYS where a second one is powered on occasionally but will ultimately serve when the other one dies. I intend buying a 3rd and 4th one in varying degrees of condition for spares also.
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many keyboard manufacturers use parts that they themselves do not make. They buy them on the open market. LCD displays are one of those parts. There are several LCD manufacturers that all buy from. If an LCD manufacturer decides to retire a certain display it will likely affect more than one product.

A keyboard manufacturer would have to buy enough quantity up front to cover any and all possible needs for the life cycle and warranty period and any government obligations, or have a solid contract with the LCD manufacturer that they will indeed supply the product for that same amount of time. Unfortunately an LCD company could go out of business or have a fire or any number of things.

Yamaha has had problems with LCD displays also. There have been cases where the display was no longer available and the instrument was still within the warranty period. I've seen them find a suitable substitute that in some cases required they also redesign the video circuit board and/or the power supply that powers the backlight and offer it as a kit.

BTW just because someone can still get pressure sensors for a DX-1 doesn't mean they are stocking pressure sensors for the DX-1, rather, it means that part was used in many other products that were made well after the DX-1.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
GregC wrote:
kshacklett wrote:

Korg do not retain parts for anything like 10 years.

Many spare parts for OASYS were not even available at the latter stage of it's life before it was officially cancelled. You'd be luck to get parts two - three years beyond the life cycle of the instrument.

I have no measure of how poor Korg are overall on this front, but they are a fraction of what Yamaha retain. I can still get polyphonic pressure sensors for my DX1 (made in 1983) for example!

I recommend that for anyone investing seriously in a synthesizer technology to budget for two of them - I've done this with the OASYS where a second one is powered on occasionally but will ultimately serve when the other one dies. I intend buying a 3rd and 4th one in varying degrees of condition for spares also.

another epic for the Oasys owner. Sorry you have to endure all that. I am not sure I would have the patience to invest in spare OASYS' to salvage for a spare part.

I found nothing current to document Korgs time commitment for spare parts beyond the standard warranty. So my recollection of 10 yrs is from another decade. Time flies Smile

FWIW, I have never kept an electronic keyboard for more than 4 years. I am not the ' collector ' type. The various manufacturers have always come up with a new model that I had to have ( and made my older board not as useful) . But thats exactly their business model.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kshacklett wrote:
My source is Korg's main parts distributor: Parts is Parts.

One important thing to understand: Parts is Parts is a source of parts for non-authorized service, including users. It is *not* the sole source of parts for authorized service centers. It sounds like you've just been shopping for the spare part, as opposed to taking it to an authorized service center for repair - is that correct?

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Many spare parts for OASYS were not even available at the latter stage of it's life before it was officially cancelled.

That seems quite unlikely (at least from the perspective of authorized service centers being able to get parts). I'd need to see convincing proof before I believed it.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
kshacklett

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am shopping for the part. I fixed/modified my keyboards many times. Despite the shock and nuisance of finding the screen cracked on Tuesday, I figured that since the Kronos is still (presumably) in production, it would be routine to get a replacement here possibly before the end of the week. At this point, however, I'll look at any possible source.

I'm still astounded that this is an issue. At its price point I can't imagine the Kronos not being a pretty big success and staying in production for awhile. To not be able to get a crucial replacement part for such a keyboard is simply unheard of in my experience...(45 year pro).

Waiting to hear back on my phone call to Korg yesterday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: