Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's Stephen Kay doing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
djcactus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: karma plugin oh. Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
djcactus wrote:
Really though, ive been itching to use Karma on some of my gear and software packages.

But there's nothing to stop you from doing that now - sort of. You can route the output of KARMA from the Kronos into a DAW and apply it to whatever you like. Smile

Theres the catch, i dont personally own a Kronos, i did have my hands on one for a brief period of time, but not enough time to really get into that kind of experimenting with it. Just the onboard karma within the programs, been really intrigued ever since.

I do plan on picking one up again but I feel like (with no confirmation to my assumptions) that a newer model will be released when some-kind-of replacement is found for the parts that are out of production.

(Not to get into a hysterical kronos being discontinued discussion)
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just released KARMA Motif Software v3.2 (which adds support for the Yamaha S70/S90 XS to the already supported XF, XS, MOX, MOXF and Rack-XS).

Can now cross that one off my list and continue with the new sound set for the Kronos: Catalyst 2. Smile

karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Catalyst 2" - brilliant Stephen - can't wait.

So this topic is "What is Stephen Kay Doing?"
For me, it's more about "what he has done!!"

I first saw Stephen on a video clip where he was performing on a Korg i2 to a Japanese audience.
THAT video COST ME:-
Korg i3
Korg i30
Korg PA1Xpro
Korg KARMA
Korg M3
Korg PA2XPro
Korg Kronos
Korg PA3X

Thanks Stephen!!!! (seriously) Very Happy

Pete
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
I first saw Stephen on a video clip where he was performing on a Korg i2 to a Japanese audience.
THAT video COST ME:-
Korg i3
Korg i30
Korg PA1Xpro
Korg KARMA
Korg M3
Korg PA2XPro
Korg Kronos
Korg PA3X

Thanks Stephen!!!! (seriously) Very Happy

Pete

LOL. Smile You're welcome...

razzaq1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might Santa Stephen be gracing us with a release of CATALYST 2 this Christmas? (For the OASYS please)
BateAlinAB

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: What's Stephen Kay doing? Reply with quote

[quote="StephenKay"][quote="worth"]Literally karma in arranger styles would change the game and you would almost certainly create the next generation of workstation arrangers for the next 5-10 years . What are you waiting for ?[/quote]

I am waiting for an arranger manufacturer to figure this out and contact me about licensing. :)

[quote="Bachus"]karma working in addition to arranger tracks is in my opinion what can add the diversity and livelyhood to arrangers that can pull them to the next level...[/quote]

I absolutely agree.

Seriously, I tried presenting this concept to Korg Italy (makers of all the Korg arrangers) many years ago. My concept was not to "replace" the arranger technology, but to augment it with a few tracks of KARMA. You know, a more "KARMA Randomized" strumming guitar part or bass line (for example) mixed in with the rest of their arranger tracks, or a more humanized percussion part on top of the fixed drum tracks, or arpeggios and phrases that you could trigger at any time in the music with buttons or joysticks, etc. The ability to modify the KARMA GEs in various ways, like you can do in Kronos Scenes, and then store them in the arranger's variations in a similar way - there's much that could be done to combine the two technologies. It would be far more customizable by the user than the fixed MIDI tracks only....

You would think Korg would be interested in this, considering they already license KARMA and have put it into keyboards... but apparently not. I got the feeling that Korg Italy (which is really a completely different entity and group of engineers from Korg Inc. Japan) feels their boards are "pretty much perfect" as is. ;)

Personally, I think a marriage between some of KARMA and some of the arranger technology would be a fantastic thing. But apparently, unless I get into manufacturing hardware arrangers myself, it ain't gonna happen.

I can only make software - and right now, my KARMA 3.x technology (the [url=http://www.karma-lab.com/kmo]KARMA Motif Software[/url]) along with one of the supported Yamaha keyboards (XF, XS, MOX, MOXF, Rack-XS, and soon S70/S90 XS) is about the closest you can come.

[quote="Ojustaboo"]Would a PC VST style (or stand alone) Karma be possible so that we could use it with whatever synth/sw we wanted?[/quote]

This is really where I feel I have to go next. After I get these projects "off my plate", I'm serious about looking into it. Some kind of "KARMA plug-in".... Although that's a huge investment of time and effort, which is why I've never done it before.[/quote]

Stephen, for me your Karma it's much better than an arranger...So many options there that allows me to create many things...Would be very coold if an arranger can have your Karma...I don't have a Korg now but I want to take Kronos.
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What's Stephen Kay doing? Reply with quote

The idea of a Kronos/Karma/arranger has come up before...my thoughts on the subject from about 6 years ago:

dfahrner wrote:

Adding arranger capability [to the Kronos] as a separate function is never going to happen, it's too big a change. But KARMA could provide this with fairly minor changes (is there any such thing as a minor change to a complex released product?), such as:

(1) There should be a way to have a KARMA scene play once (or some number of times) when selected, and then go to another scene (either the next numbered scene in sequence, some specified scene number, or the previous scene), or turn KARMA off. This would allow scenes to provide the different parts of the song, like intros and endings, without the performer having to always remember to select the correct scene.

(2) Each KARMA scene should be able to use a different GE for the same module. Since the scenes would be the different parts of the song (intro, fill, ending, etc.) an entirely different kind of backing part might be needed. Currently, the selected GE can be modified for the different scenes, but being able to select an entirely different musical pattern for part of a song would more like an arranger.

These two things alone, along with some new GEs, would make the KRONOS usable as an arranger (and may already have been implemented in later versions of KARMA). There are all kinds of other things that might be useful:

(3) There should be some way to allow notes currently being played by KARMA modules to sustain (for some number of beats, maybe) after KARMA is turned off, instead of cutting off abruptly.

(4) Some additional and more musical Dynamic MIDI note group sources would help: for example, a "note density" source, proportional to the number of notes being played at one time; a "complexity" source, relating to the complexity of the chord being played and/or the relationship between notes inside the KARMA zone and those outside; a "push" source, proportional to notes being played ahead of or behind the beat; etc. All of these (and some existing sources like velocity) should not be instantaneous but should be averaged over some period (a measure? a selectable number of beats?) of time.

(5) Etc., etc.

With these kinds of added KARMA functionality, the KRONOS would be a kind of "super arranger", not only providing the kind of backup parts (intros, fills, endings, etc.) that arrangers traditionally do, but also modifying them in realtime using KARMA's Performance Real-Time Controls and Dynamic MIDI capability. It would be an arranger that can respond to what the performer is playing. And maybe more KRONOS owners would actually start using KARMA...

df

There didn't seem to be any interest then...oh well...

df
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: What's Stephen Kay doing? Reply with quote

dfahrner wrote:
The idea of a Kronos/Karma/arranger has come up before...my thoughts on the subject from about 6 years ago:

dfahrner wrote:

Adding arranger capability [to the Kronos] as a separate function is never going to happen, it's too big a change. But KARMA could provide this with fairly minor changes (is there any such thing as a minor change to a complex released product?), such as:

(1) There should be a way to have a KARMA scene play once (or some number of times) when selected, and then go to another scene (either the next numbered scene in sequence, some specified scene number, or the previous scene), or turn KARMA off. This would allow scenes to provide the different parts of the song, like intros and endings, without the performer having to always remember to select the correct scene.

(2) Each KARMA scene should be able to use a different GE for the same module. Since the scenes would be the different parts of the song (intro, fill, ending, etc.) an entirely different kind of backing part might be needed. Currently, the selected GE can be modified for the different scenes, but being able to select an entirely different musical pattern for part of a song would more like an arranger.

These two things alone, along with some new GEs, would make the KRONOS usable as an arranger (and may already have been implemented in later versions of KARMA). There are all kinds of other things that might be useful:

(3) There should be some way to allow notes currently being played by KARMA modules to sustain (for some number of beats, maybe) after KARMA is turned off, instead of cutting off abruptly.

(4) Some additional and more musical Dynamic MIDI note group sources would help: for example, a "note density" source, proportional to the number of notes being played at one time; a "complexity" source, relating to the complexity of the chord being played and/or the relationship between notes inside the KARMA zone and those outside; a "push" source, proportional to notes being played ahead of or behind the beat; etc. All of these (and some existing sources like velocity) should not be instantaneous but should be averaged over some period (a measure? a selectable number of beats?) of time.

(5) Etc., etc.

With these kinds of added KARMA functionality, the KRONOS would be a kind of "super arranger", not only providing the kind of backup parts (intros, fills, endings, etc.) that arrangers traditionally do, but also modifying them in realtime using KARMA's Performance Real-Time Controls and Dynamic MIDI capability. It would be an arranger that can respond to what the performer is playing. And maybe more KRONOS owners would actually start using KARMA...

df

There didn't seem to be any interest then...oh well...

df

I greatly enjoy Karma, use various scenes and dig around for GE's to play with.

Seems to me, you refer to combi mode with suggestions 1 and 2 ?

If I am understanding, SEQ mode and a Song file solves 1 and 2 . IOW record what you need. And play back in SEQ mode
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: What's Stephen Kay doing? Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

If I am understanding, SEQ mode and a Song file solves 1 and 2 . IOW record what you need. And play back in SEQ mode

I like using Karma, too, and have used it (in combination mode) as a sort of arranger on duo gigs, after figuring out ways to use an external MIDI Solutions Event Processor and my own GEs to implement some of the suggestions above...I've used sequences, too, but you can't rearrange or extend sections of the song, insert fills, etc., in real time, the way arrangers (and real musicians) do...

df
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What's Stephen Kay doing? Reply with quote

dfahrner wrote:
GregC wrote:

I like using Karma, too, and have used it (in combination mode) as a sort of arranger on duo gigs, after figuring out ways to use an external MIDI Solutions Event Processor and my own GEs to implement some of the suggestions above...I've used sequences, too, but you can't rearrange or extend sections of the song, insert fills, etc., in real time, the way arrangers (and real musicians) do...

df

I understand. Fills are lacking. And SEQ mode removes the standard spontaneity

Real musicians have been using backing tracks for over a decade so that has sealed the deal for me. Audience doesn't care. Real musicians don't care.
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like conventional arrangers, either, for accompaniment...though you can change / reorder / extend ths song, the "accompanists" obviously play the same notes, parts, and feel all the time and don't react to what the real musician is playing...a sequenced backing track at least plays back (your own) more interesting parts that had that real-time feel when they were recorded, anyway...this is why a Karma-based arranger would be an improvement: you'd have the flexibility of an arranger along with Karma's ability to modify the accompaniment according to what is being played in real time...

I've tried a few arrangers and they always sound "canned" to me; maybe a top-of-the-line one like the Yamaha Genos can do better (can't spend $5K just to find out, though)...when using Karma on the Kronos to play bass / drums on duo gigs, a couple of singers told me that it was the first time they'd heard auto-accompaniment that sounded like real musicians...

df
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dfahrner wrote:
I don't like conventional arrangers, either, for accompaniment...though you can change / reorder / extend ths song, the "accompanists" obviously play the same notes, parts, and feel all the time and don't react to what the real musician is playing...a sequenced backing track at least plays back (your own) more interesting parts that had that real-time feel when they were recorded, anyway...this is why a Karma-based arranger would be an improvement: you'd have the flexibility of an arranger along with Karma's ability to modify the accompaniment according to what is being played in real time...

I've tried a few arrangers and they always sound "canned" to me; maybe a top-of-the-line one like the Yamaha Genos can do better (can't spend $5K just to find out, though)...when using Karma on the Kronos to play bass / drums on duo gigs, a couple of singers told me that it was the first time they'd heard auto-accompaniment that sounded like real musicians...

df

I agree with you on arrangers. Other than better articulation/samples, an arranger doesn't work for me.

We have said it before, Karma is not an arranger. Some slight similarities but Karma has lots of spirit and opens up all kinds of riffage.

I still think non development of Karma on native Kronos was a big miss by Korg.
padking

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to even consider karma for the Montage and MODX ?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

padking wrote:
Is it possible to even consider karma for the Montage and MODX ?

from Kronos ?

it will send Karma midi over assuming Montage/MODX has standard midi in
GrandMasterKorg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:01 pm    Post subject: I would like to know... what is Stephen Kay doing??? Reply with quote

Recently I purchased the Catalyst Vol. 2 for my Korg Kronos X 88 and I liked it very such a really much!

Muchas Gratias!

I am thinking about, if Stephen Kay is releasing a new karmafied Soundset, which is more modern and adapted to recent styles...

I also was thinking about, why the Karma-Lab website is looking so 90s?

Please Stephen ... go ahead and give us more Karma!

Last edited by GrandMasterKorg on Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: