Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's Stephen Kay doing?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: What's Stephen Kay doing? Reply with quote

Seems he is working on a big project...

Which makes me wondering, is it a Korg project or a Yamaha project?
EJ2
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell you, cause then he'd have to kill me.... Laughing

CATALYST v 2 Blast of Inspiration for KRONOS & OASYS: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst2.html
CATALYST v 1 Combi Explosion for KRONOS, OASYS, M3, & K-M50: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst1.html
CHEMISTRY 3, a Groove Injection for Your Karma: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/chem3.html
SoundCloud MP3 Demoshttps://soundcloud.com/ej2-sc
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Whats Steven Kay doing? Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:

Well, I don't know why you have the impression that I'm working on a "big" project...

But, it's no "big secret" what I'm working on right now, so I'll tell you:

1) A new KARMA-fied Combis sound set for the Kronos (and eventually OASYS, and hopefully M3 and KARMA M50 Software), named "Catalyst Vol. 2", which is a collaboration between myself and EJ2, as in Catalyst Vol. 1.

2) A new version of KARMA Motif Software (3.2) that adds support for the Yamaha S70/S90 XS, and a few new features.

3) The first new XPansion Set of KARMA Performances for KARMA Motif software.

Those are the 3 main things occupying me at the moment. Smile

- StePHen

Last edited by StephenKay on Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Whats Steven Kay doing? Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
Bachus wrote:

Well, I don't know why you have the impression that I'm working on a "big" project...

But, it's no "big secret" what I'm working on right now, so I'll tell you:

1) A new KARMA-fied Combis sound set for the Kronos (and eventually OASYS, and hopefully M3 and KARMA M50 Software), named "Catalyst Vol. 2", which is a collaboration between myself and EJ2, as in Catalyst 1.

2) A new version of KARMA Motif Software (3.2) that adds support for the Yamaha S70/S90 XS.

3) The first new XPansion Set of KARMA Performances for KARMA Motif software.

Those are the 3 main things occupying me at the moment. Smile

- StePHen

Well, since we havent seen any announcements of new stuff in the last 8 months, i guessed you where working on something big...

I just combined that with the Kronos and the Motif being 4 years old each, and my expectations for an update to each of them at this comming nAMM

Good to hear you are quite busy with that stuff... are you sure the Motif 3.2 will not work on the upcomming Yamaha workstation too?
Crystalmsc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Whats Steven Kay doing? Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
But, it's no "big secret" what I'm working on right now, so I'll tell you

Stephen, since Karma was made using Max and now Korg has a closer collaboration with Ableton, any plan for the Max for Live version..or may be a cool M4L device from KarmaLab?
Korg: Wavedrum/Mini/Global, MS-20m, Volca Beats/Bass/Key, Trinity Pro, Karma + Moss Board, 01R/W, Wavestation/SR/EX, microKORG XL, Kaossilator Pro, iKaossilator, Kaoss Pad Quad, Monotribe, Monotron/duo/delay, DS-10, Korg Collection V2, Korg Gadget, microKEY25
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Whats Steven Kay doing? Reply with quote

Crystalmsc wrote:
StephenKay wrote:
But, it's no "big secret" what I'm working on right now, so I'll tell you

Stephen, since Karma was made using Max and now Korg has a closer collaboration with Ableton, any plan for the Max for Live version..or may be a cool M4L device from KarmaLab?

Okay thats news for me....

How is Korg working together with ableton?
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats Steven Kay doing? Reply with quote

Crystalmsc wrote:

An extremely early version of KARMA was built in Max - this was back in 1994 when I started on KARMA. Later it was moved to C/C++ and its own application shell. There is no relationship between KARMA and Max now, nor has there been, for many many years. Smile

Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen - what sort of effort has gone into the creation / characterisation of the GE's across the various versions you're released?

The breath of musical genres / styles is nothing short of breath-taking.

Having owned Karma since the Korg Karma and OASYS, and still only scratching the surface as a user, I cannot comprehend the depth of knowledge you must have regarding what characterises different styles and genres.

And finally - how do you keep up with the latest styles? Where do you find what rhythms, instruments, accents, syncopations character the plethora of variations across the hundreds of dance genres you cover?

It'd be incredibly interesting - and indeed useful to end users - to read about the "musical dimension" to Karma, to understand your origins and sources, musically for Karma.

In the words of Ray's father in "Everybody Loves Raymond" in the episode where they 'help' Robert prepare his wedding invitations - "You're like a genius!"

All joking aside, I've just recently been contemplating the breath and depth of the GEs on the OASYS, and its mind-blowing! It's be interesting to read a little about how the 'musical content' in Karma comes about.
Crystalmsc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Whats Steven Kay doing? Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
An extremely early version of KARMA was built in Max - this was back in 1994 when I started on KARMA. Later it was moved to C/C++ and its own application shell. There is no relationship between KARMA and Max now, nor has there been, for many many years. Smile

Thank you for the information, really appreciated.
Bachus wrote:
Korg working together with ableton

Korg gadget, ikaossilator and new elecribe are able to export to .als
Korg: Wavedrum/Mini/Global, MS-20m, Volca Beats/Bass/Key, Trinity Pro, Karma + Moss Board, 01R/W, Wavestation/SR/EX, microKORG XL, Kaossilator Pro, iKaossilator, Kaoss Pad Quad, Monotribe, Monotron/duo/delay, DS-10, Korg Collection V2, Korg Gadget, microKEY25
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Stephen

The arranger keyboard world is crying out for your technology and creative flair to bring new styles that can evolve in real time mimicking what real musicians do as they jam . It seems crazy that karma in a workstation is such a forced fit and at best has had a luke warm reception compared to the natural progression karma to arranger styles would be . Literally karma in arranger styles would change the game and you would almostcertainly create the next generation of workstation arrangers for the next 5-10 years . What are you wAiting for ?
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

worth wrote:
Dear Stephen

The arranger keyboard world is crying out for your technology and creative flair to bring new styles that can evolve in real time mimicking what real musicians do as they jam . It seems crazy that karma in a workstation is such a forced fit and at best has had a luke warm reception compared to the natural progression karma to arranger styles would be . Literally karma in arranger styles would change the game and you would almostcertainly create the next generation of workstation arrangers for the next 5-10 years . What are you wAiting for ?

+100 !!!

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

worth wrote:
Dear Stephen

karma working in addition to arranger tracks is in my opinion what can add the diversity and livelyhood to arrangers that can pull them to the next level...

But... For most arranger players, all comtent should be delivered...

If you combine Karma and arranger tracks with a cliplauncher like ableton, ... Allowing all clips to follow either real time played chords... Or a chordsequenced track... That might put digital music on the next level.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to speak for him, but I'm pretty sure Stephen has said that this has been a long time aim for him and he plans to put it in KARMA 3.0, whenever that may arrive.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

worth wrote:
Dear Stephen

karma working in addition to arranger tracks is in my opinion what can add the diversity and livelyhood to arrangers that can pull them to the next level...

But... For most arranger players, all comtent should be delivered...

If you combine Karma and arranger tracks with a cliplauncher like ableton, ... Allowing all clips to follow either real time played chords... Or a chordsequenced track... That might put digital music on the next level.
Ojustaboo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would a PC VST style (or stand alone) Karma be possible so that we could use it with whatever synth/sw we wanted?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: