Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Kross 61 performance tips

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davefales1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Korg Kross 61 performance tips Reply with quote

Newbee here to Korg forums. Regarding my new Korg Kross 61
I'm Looking for practical tips to optimize performing live with (rock) band, especially for strategies for setting up Favorites etc for quick changes of programs and combis.
I love that there are 16x4 favorites.
Q: Is there any reason why I shouldnt re-use Favorite banks A and B for my additional user Favorites?

tip: To get two more 'one-click' sound options while performing a song, I realized that, if I pre-select the specific Program and the Combi sounds as my 'default sounds' before playing a song, I now have these 2, plus the 16 buttons on the selected Favorite bank available to toggle with just* one* click. I know. Duh! But it took me 2 months.

tip: Problem: I never want the Drums, Sequencer or ARP to play while I'm performing with a drummer. Yet, I want to use a number of preset Combis that have great sounds - but are pre-set to trigger Drums on keyboard play.
My solution: Rather than changing each Combi individually, I went to the Global Media area, and de-selected the "DT, S, Arp" checkbox which disables Drum Track, Sequencer and ARP from playing ever during my session (unless you reselect it). (Remember to save (write) the Global Media settings if you don't want to do this every time you power up the keyboard.
am certainly open to corrections, suggestions, and being pointed to the right forum
sorry, long post
iluvchiclets

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent tips! Will keep an eye on this post, and will write if I have anything to share...
Shutoku

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight I made a big discovery that I have to post. I've put it in a couple relevant threads just because people looking to do this might not look in only this thread, or my thread on using the mod wheel for volume changes, or the thread on smooth transitions between programs or combi's.

I wanted to set up a combi with various orchestral and synth sounds on the Kross and a second controller, and on my piano controller, have a rhodes sound, that could then turn into a piano + string sound wihtin the same song.
I didn't want to do this with 2 combi's because of the sound drop out when changing combis.

I tried in vain to find ways to mute tracks or turn the volume down on some, there may be ways to do it, but the only one I ever got is with the expression pedal and it only works if you are using the Kross own keyboard, not for sounds triggered from say a digital piano keyboard.

Tonight the answer came to me and worked better than I could have imagined.
Here is what I did:
1. I re-wrote the rhodes program into the user bank at 011.
2. I re-wrote the piano-string program into user bank at 012.
3. I set up the combi with the Rhodes program assigned to the piano controller.
4. On the Kross own display I went into the combi and into the program page on that channel.

5. I play the song and when I need to sound change I reach up and move the dial one place up or down as need be. Voila!

What makes this even better than I had hoped though....is that it turns out that if I play a chord with the rhodes sound and hold down the damper pedal, I can then change to the piano+string program, but the rhodes sound continues to sustain until I actually strike the piano controller again. This means perfectly seamless sound changes all within one combi!

Now this only helps realistically for changing one program within a combi, and of course you have to remember before starting the song, to go into the program page of the combi, but otherwise it works incredibly well!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: