Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does Kingkorg sound similar or better than a Radias?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donethur

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Does Kingkorg sound similar or better than a Radias? Reply with quote

That is my question for users who has had both. Any opinion?.

Judging only for the demos I have check in internet, it seems that KK sounds better, more fat a a bit less digital to me, but of course a user could clarify better this to me.

thanks!
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This won't answer your question completely, but according to the video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9jrfH65QiE
one of its filters is basically the same as the Radias filter, which implies you should be able to get Radias-like timbres out of it. But unlike the Radias, the KK has alternate filters that are closer to Oberheim, Prophet, Moog, and other Korg models, so it will also get sounds of a different character than what you can get out of a Radias.
Chriskk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any company can say they have modeled Moog, OB, Prophet, Jupiter filters. But that doesn't mean that those filters sound like real filters.

Korg VA's including the Radias & KK sound more digital than other VA's IMO.
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriskk wrote:
Korg VA's including the Radias & KK sound more digital than other VA's IMO.

Put it this way, if I have to choose between someone that knows what he's talking about and your "expert" opinion, the choice is fairly easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sZ3SX2Qtug0
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

To me Chris' remark looks just as clueless as his nonsense about the KK tube recently. From my view the KK rather has some of the most analog sounding filters of all hardware VAs so far. I know a dozen magazin reviews meanwhile, and not a single one shares Chris' view on the KK sound.

Of course, like all other hardware VAs, the KK can't replace the originals. But while nobody expects that, it is still the only hardware VA in it's price range coming close enough to a whole family of sounds familiar from Minimoogs, Oberheim SEMs, ProphetVs, MS20s, and Roland Acid sounds (plus the familar basic Radias filter sound) at the same time, and in a quality which is close enough to be really well useable for recording and live play. The Arturia Origin is the only VA offering something similar - at a much higher price and not more analog sounding.
JPWC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To actually make sound in our environment, the signal must be analog.

Digital vs Analog is not about the sound, it's about the application. This argument is so over done. The only reason to comment, is to make up for the posters short comings. (don't get offended, I may well have more short comings than you.)

The KingKorg does an excellent job of imitating synthesizers that were designed to imitate other instruments.

I love playing my kingkorg, the controls (knobs) give you lots of real time interaction, allowing you to play the "sound" along with allowing you to play the keybed at the same time. Great performance synth!

I would say the synth is smooth sounding, verses hard or aggressive. It is not your glitch instrument.

Not the synth for some, more than enough for others.

Big bang for you buck!
Kronos-6, Krome, M3, Radias, KingKorg, microKorg, KP-2, KP-3, KO-1, KO-1 PRO, Karma, microX, monotron, monotribe, PadCONTROL, Wavedrum Mini, Volca Keys, Beats, Bass, Sample, monotron Duo & Delay, microArranger, M1, Wavestation, Volca Sample, Keys, Beats & Bass, MS-20

JD-XA, JD-Xi, Aira (system 1, TB3, TR8, MX-1), Prophet 12, Mopho X4, Jupiter-80, FA-06, D50, CS1x, CZ101, DX200, AN200, analogFOUR, MachineDrum, MonoMachine, Motif XF6, Virus Snow, Nord Lead 2X, OP-1, MFOS, Tenori-on, QY100, QY70, meeblip se, miniBrute, microBrute, Bass Station 2
Saxifraga

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you already have enough keybeds and like VA synths, why not buying some Arturia stuff? You can buy a used Macmini (Core 2 Duo) or PC and use it as dedicated Arturia sound server. Have recently bought the Arturia minilab with 5000 VA (CP80 Moog modular ARP 2600 Prophet etc.) sounds and a small USB controller (included). Sounds amazing via PA. I have now come to recognize that buying more keybeds is a waste of money esp. if they not even have aftertouch.

For example:
Mac mini 2,4GHz 4GB (400,-€) + Arturia LAB 29,-.. 89,- € + 500,-€ for five great Arturia synth.
Connect your master keyboard (maybe one from Arturia analog experience or a Novation Ultranova) and ready you are.

Don´t get me wrong: The King Korg sounds very good and has nice flexible controls but you need a computer anyway to manage the sounds.

m2c
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saxifraga, I have a lot of these softsynths, and any day there are new great ones among them (besides the Arturia stuff there are UHE's, OPXIIpro, Monark, Reaktor, Massive etc etc.).

But even with a decent controller keybed you don't get the same experience like from a unified instrument with a layout made exactly for it's functionality.

I often catch myself ignoring all the great softsynths and using my hardware synths, before doing anything else (for live play I prefer them anyway). And then AFTER having a song in shape, I may decide to prefer a certain softsynth or Kontakt sample library on certain tracks, but not more.

A computer with software is still a secondary experience to me, compared to an integrated synth (which is filled with software anyway, as we all know). The hardware synths are still the more direct approach for making music from my view, and I still prefer them for straight ahead playing and composing.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saxifraga wrote:
If you already have enough keybeds and like VA synths, why not buying some Arturia stuff? You can buy a used Macmini (Core 2 Duo) or PC and use it as dedicated Arturia sound server. Have recently bought the Arturia minilab with 5000 VA (CP80 Moog modular ARP 2600 Prophet etc.) sounds and a small USB controller (included). Sounds amazing via PA. I have now come to recognize that buying more keybeds is a waste of money esp. if they not even have aftertouch.

For example:
Mac mini 2,4GHz 4GB (400,-€) + Arturia LAB 29,-.. 89,- € + 500,-€ for five great Arturia synth.
Connect your master keyboard (maybe one from Arturia analog experience or a Novation Ultranova) and ready you are.

Don´t get me wrong: The King Korg sounds very good and has nice flexible controls but you need a computer anyway to manage the sounds.

m2c

I agree with you in every respect.

Once I get accustomed to a keybed with aftertouch that I like, I'm let down when I shift to a different keybed that doesn't have the same feel. There's also a practical limit on the number of keybeds that I'm willing to haul around, which for me is only two, because I don't like triple tiers. I also don't like being completely surrounded and trapped by gear, even if I did have roadies to handle it all, which I don't. The absolute max for me at one time is 4 keybed "layers" in a V formation, so that I'm always facing stage front. If I can fit two smaller keybeds on a single tier, that's OK for me, like the R3 and X-Station 25, or a touch pad & sequencer row like the Kaossilator Pro, KP3, EMX, APC40, Maschine, or Push.

The soft synths can greatly expand the range of my hardware without taking additional physical space for each one, letting me use a mix of the hardware's internal engines with the software via midi control. There's also a limit on how much I want to spend for each new hardware keyboard vs. what it gives me relative to my existing gear. The higher price of the KingKorg makes it of less overall value to me because I have many of the features covered by other gear. When I want a great tube monster lead, the Triton Extreme 61 that I got for about half the price of the KK does it better and is far more versatile as a sampling workstation with access to the whole Triton series library. The KingKorg library is miniscule by comparison at this point.
slug

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Radias is easily the best synth for experienced users as it has WAY more synthesis features, the King Korg is probably the better of the two for people that dont need or want access to programming originality, which is i think was Korgs intention aiming towards the "gigging professional" more than the "tweakers delight" mindset. Even the MS20 Mini is far more versatile for sound creation over KK if you dont need polyphony.

If KK had two filters and a free envelope it COULD have given the Radias a run for its money on the synthesist front....but as i said the KK is a synth for people that dont want ultimate complexity, just strong tweakable basics with the convenience of the inclusion of pianos and other acoustic type sounds.
slug

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saxifraga wrote:
Don´t get me wrong: The King Korg sounds very good and has nice flexible controls but you need a computer anyway to manage the sounds. m2c

No you dont. You know a lot of us survived quite happily for years making music and managing patches on synths without using our computers right? Its part of the whole thing of having a hardware synth you have to learn how to use it...
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slug wrote:
The Radias is easily the best synth for experienced users as it has WAY more synthesis features, the King Korg is probably the better of the two for people that dont need or want access to programming originality, which is i think was Korgs intention aiming towards the "gigging professional" more than the "tweakers delight" mindset. Even the MS20 Mini is far more versatile for sound creation over KK if you dont need polyphony.

If KK had two filters and a free envelope it COULD have given the Radias a run for its money on the synthesist front....but as i said the KK is a synth for people that dont want ultimate complexity, just strong tweakable basics with the convenience of the inclusion of pianos and other acoustic type sounds.

Features and specifications aside, the KK has something that the Radias doesn't: fantastic sound. It's easily the best sounding VA out there.

I would love to have an extra envelope, or filters in series. But for once in my life, I'm not going to let technical limitations get in the way of the pure joy of playing the instrument! Smile

It's smooth, silky, creamy, fluent and organic. The Radias or AL-1 have nothing on the Kingkorg.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

To me the KK sounds exactly as Curvebender described:
"smooth, silky, creamy, fluent and organic"

And in everyday music making I have much more use for this kind of sound, than for any of the advanced technical possibilities, which AL-1 or my Access Virus or a Radias offer.

Still I would really appreciate a KK update with a second filter (for more modulation flexibility) - and if possible, some more mod matrix possibilities as well.
Lando2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
+1

To me the KK sounds exactly as Curvebender described:
"smooth, silky, creamy, fluent and organic"

And in everyday music making I have much more use for this kind of sound, than for any of the advanced technical possibilities, which AL-1 or my Access Virus or a Radias offer.

Still I would really appreciate a KK update with a second filter (for more modulation flexibility) - and if possible, some more mod matrix possibilities as well.

I would like to add a third envelope (just a AD or just a D would be better then nothing Smile) to your wishlist. Or a LFO one shot mode could also be a possible workaround to modulate the pitch-attack-phase for sounds needing both amp and filter envelope.
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realised a few days ago:

When I sit in front of my Kronos, and move the cutoff knob while playing the AL-1, MS20 or Polysix, all that happens is that I hear the cutoff frequency being changed. You say: well obviously, that's what it's there for! Absolutely, you're right.

But when I adjust the cutoff on the Kingkorg, something else happens. Yes, the cutoff is being changed, but I also hear music and inspiration. The harmonic spectrum is just amazingly rich.

As someone said, writing about music is like dancing about architecture, so words somewhat fail me now. (Also, english isn't my mother tongue.)

But the fact is that I can sit for hours listening to a simple up-down arpeggio om the KK, slowly adjusting the filter, or the filter envelope decay, and enjoy music in a grand way. All the Karma in the world can't help the Kronos here. The oscillators on the KK are probably also a big part of this.

(My first VA was the Yamaha AN1X, and there are some similarities in the sound: gentle, wide and opaque, but also harmonically pleasing.)

So, what am I trying to say here? Well, nothing more than this: I hereby declare the Kingkorg to be the king.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KingKORG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: