Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PERFECT Kronos Keytar!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thisnameisnowtaken

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: PERFECT Kronos Keytar! Reply with quote

Hey guys!
I've just got my hands on the new Alesis Vortex Wireless Keytar that was demoed at this year's NAMM and I have to say... I'm impressed!
It comes with a little wireless USB dongle and is intended for use with VSTs etc. but when I got it I plugged it into the back of the KRONOS and it connected instantly!
Completely wireless use of the KRONOS!
The keys feel nice, there are a million and one features on this thing too!
Accelerometer on the neck, drum pads, pitch bend, multiple ribbon functions, cool LEDs and even storage compartments for extra batteries, cables or the dongle itself!
Not to mention it fit PERFECTLY into the 40" rifle case I had previously been storing my Korg X50 in!
I have to say, it's not often I come across what I would call a perfect instrument or a perfect controller... and this is it!

Check it out guys!
http://alesis.com/vortex-wireless
Thisnameisnowtaken

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually had to order this keytar from Las Vegas as it's not being sold in Australia yet. It's that new Razz
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the wired vortex and I love it. So does my band (I'm doing some of the guitar solos in my cover band with it). I'm really interested in the wireless version though.

The only qualm I have is with the accelerometer. I have no use for it. I usually just map what I want to the ribbon or AT. It actually gets in the way more than anything. I usually leave it in a guitar stand and occasionally (if I bump it), the accelerometer will trigger and make the sound I'm playing on the Kronos sound as I pushed the joystick all the way up. I've tried calibrating it so it basically never turns on, but it's not good enough.

I was actually thinking of opening it up and seeing if there was a way for me to physically disable it, but I might have a buyer for my wired one - so I can get the wireless and disable it in there.
::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
Thisnameisnowtaken

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jeebustrain!
I'm not sure about the wired version, but in the wireless Vortex you can turn the accelerometer off completely!
Personally I love it, you can set the start and finish points of it to whatever you want so you can make it so you can activate it ONLY when you want to.
Strangely enough, the wireless version is MUCH cheaper than the wired version. It's also black, so it can jump higher.
As I said before, the wireless is just SO easy to use. just plug and play, it's literally that simple Smile
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the wired is more expensive because it may be discontinued. I picked mine up for $99 from Sweetwater a few months back. I think they were blowing them out.

Yea - I calibrated it like that, but I think because I put it vertical in the guitar stand that it sometimes triggers it by itself. I'll fiddle with it again.

We're filming an outdoor gig in a couple weeks and hopefully I'll have some video (or at least stills) of it in action.
::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
LZ
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you interested, I'm using am old Roland AX-7 with a wireless MIDI interface from CME. It works great - I get incredible range with no dropouts. I tested it walking out to the alley behind my back yard whilst playing the kronos at the front of my property. The difficulty was the time delay of the audio at that distance.

....and Brian, you seriously need to let me know when you're breaking out that vortex so I can check you out. Sounds so far like you guys are doing some seriously cool s**t!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LZ wrote:
For those of you interested, I'm using am old Roland AX-7 with a wireless MIDI interface from CME. It works great - I get incredible range with no dropouts. I tested it walking out to the alley behind my back yard whilst playing the kronos at the front of my property. The difficulty was the time delay of the audio at that distance.

In my research I had actually looked at the AX-7, AX Synth and Lucina but decided none of them fit my needs quite as well as the Vortex wireless.
Mainly because of the aftertouch the vortex provides and the onboard wireless as opposed to the 3rd party wireless MIDI which (at least in Australia) costs $300-$400 by itself while the Vortex wireless only cost me $250 INCLUDING delivery from America.

Honestly can't beat that!

Not to mention this keytar feels AMAZING!
Not since the KRONOS itself have I connected so well to an instrument instantly.
LZ
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't speaking as a comparison of actual keytars. I already had the AX7. In that context, I was reviewing the CME wireless. I understand there are probably better modern options.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LZ wrote:
Wasn't speaking as a comparison of actual keytars. I already had the AX7. In that context, I was reviewing the CME wireless. I understand there are probably better modern options.

Awesome then Smile
How much did that one set you back?
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know as much stigma there is about keytars, at $200 wireless direct to the Kronos, that's hard to beat! Might eventually consider this as we're becoming more of a show band....
Thisnameisnowtaken

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone wrote:
You know as much stigma there is about keytars, at $200 wireless direct to the Kronos, that's hard to beat! Might eventually consider this as we're becoming more of a show band....

I've ALWAYS wanted one and when I saw this come out, there was no way I could resist.
Couldn't be happier Razz
MarPabl
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one may be a toy, but you can get it for cheap and can get the job done:

Thisnameisnowtaken

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously?
I do kinda like how the console game instruments actually work Razz
I remember recording a whole acoustic guitar track with the Guitar Hero vocal mic Razz
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha - that's what one of my bandmates thought the vortex was the first time I brought it to practice.

My Music
MarPabl
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thisnameisnowtaken wrote:
Seriously?
I do kinda like how the console game instruments actually work Razz
I remember recording a whole acoustic guitar track with the Guitar Hero vocal mic Razz

Sure Cool

Read: Hands-on: Rock Band 3′s Keytar, a Surprisingly Serious $25.00 MIDI Keyboard

The price was $80.00 when the article was written. Now you can get one new for $25.00
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: