Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA1X-PRO Keys aren't good and very plasticy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa1X - Pa1Xpro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MuratE

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: PA1X-PRO Keys aren't good and very plasticy Reply with quote

Hi, I've been using a PA1xPro for a while but have got one big problem and I can't see anywhere anyone else mentioning it.

The quality of the keys! I think they are very poor and plasticy. You can hear the plasticy sound while playing and it's pretty loud.

I had upgraded from a Roland G1000 a while ago. I am fairly happy with the sounds, styles etc but the keys are dreadful, the G1000 had a great keyset but the PA1xPro doesn't. Now I am considering upgrading the keyboard to Pa3xPro but I am conscious about the key issue, does anyone know anything about this?
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you have a PA1XPro where the keybed has been replaced at some time - I find the PA1XPro/PA2Xpro/PA3X-76 keybed very solid and one of the best semi-weighted beds I've owned or tried. My Roland A33 is very nice too but the Korg is better.

I have never seen any complaints about this on these forums.

Do you know the full history of your PA1XPro?

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
MuratE

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The keybed has never been replaced. Although the keybed is supposed to be semi-weighted it's more like a toy Casio with touch sensitivity. I must try the pa3x-76 before buying it. Believe me, it was a disappointment using the pa1xpro after the Roland G1000 only because of the keybed otherwise surely the pa1xpro is a superior keyboard compared to the G1000. The pa1xPro and pa3x76, do they use the same keybeds???
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Although the keybed is supposed to be semi-weighted it's more like a toy Casio with touch sensitivity

That is absurd....
I think someone has sold you a dud - definitely doesn't sound like a PA1XPro keybed to me....
Have you taken it apart to check? (Serious question) Some people DO mess with and change keybeds....

The 76 note keybed should be smooth with some nice resistance.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
tommymandel

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one else mentions having a problem with the Pa-1x keybed because it IS one of the best keybeds around. I agree with Karma-Pete on that: This keyboard has a really classy keybed feel; and I have a whole lot of synths to compare it to too. For example, it is much better than a Korg Karma. The only other semi-weighted keybed I own that is comparable in feel to the Pa-1x's is a Roland V-Synth. I don't know if your version has speakers or not, but having the sound come out of the unit makes for an even more enjoyable playing experience. The vibrations make it feel even more acoustic. What keybed feel do you prefer? If you're sure that yours hasn't been replaced or damaged, maybe it's a taste issue, but that would be bizarre. Razz
TampaGuy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm new to this forum and was only planning to read, but after seeing what MuratE said, had to add my .02...

I recently came into a PA1x-Pro, and the keybed is horrid--when MuratE said "it's more like a toy Casio with touch sensitivity," that was [i]exactly[/i] what I was thinking (and still think). But I'm a pianist and have always played fully-weighted keys. I got the Korg for the functionality it has in terms of vocal processing, sequencing, styles, etc., and since the price was ridiculously low, it was worth it. I'm only beginning to learn how to use it (a 424-page manual??), but 1 thing is certain--it will never be my choice as the anchor in my rig. The keys are that bad.

I don't know if it's ever been replaced, but all indications are that it hasn't. I do suspect that those who sing the keybed's praises are probably synth players who aren't accustomed to playing fully-weighted keys or acoustic pianos. I'll admit I'm not much of a synth guy, and never have been.

Now back to reading and learning about this thing...
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TampaGuy wrote:
I recently came into a PA1x-Pro, and the keybed is horrid--when MuratE said "it's more like a toy Casio with touch sensitivity," that was exactly what I was thinking (and still think). But I'm a pianist and have always played fully-weighted keys.

Hi TampaGuy

Welcome to the forums.

I think your last sentence is the point.
I am not a pianist and couldn't cope too well with piano-style weighted keys, however, I have played many arrangers and synths over the years and I found the PA1XPro to be the best in my experience to date (now similar to PA2XPro and PA3X-76 although slightly improved IMHO). The PA1XPro semi-weight was smooth, quiet and with nice attack and such a bonus coming from Yamaha and even the i-series.

So this keybed may be "horrid" to you as a pianist - I guess that is understandable.

I am sorry but play it next to any Casio, Yamaha or Roland arranger and you'll know which is a "toy" or not....

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
TampaGuy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tnx, Pete--from what I've been reading, you're apparently one of the sages of these machines, and I'm sure I'll be asking for info in the future. For now, I'm 'RTFM.'

It's true I haven't played (if anyone can 'play') a toy Casio--the only frame of reference I have is the old Roland Juno series. I once owned a couple of them, and the semi-weighted keys--while still light to my touch--seemed heavier. I remember they had small metal plates under the keys that added weight and increased the resistance. I understand I can manipulate the sensitivity on the Korg, but haven't tried it yet. I'm also experiencing 'aftertouch' for the first time--useless on a piano, but good for things like harmonica tones, something I plan to use.

The keybed will be fine for building sequences and such, but on stage, it will be MIDI-ed into another board that has keys I like. I just couldn't pass up all that functionality--assuming I can learn to use it.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but on stage, it will be MIDI-ed into another board that has keys I like

Yeah - agree - sensible way to go.

Take it steady and you'll get to love the PA beast - so many nice features.

All the best

Pete Very Happy
TampaGuy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say Pete, since we're discussing keys, perhaps you can verify something for me...

As I understand it, the polyphony on anything I use as a controller, midi'ed w/ the Korg, is irrelevant. All that matters is what the Korg provides. Is that correct?
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct... Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa1X - Pa1Xpro All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: