Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volca Keys HELP PLEASE!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan3gerou5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Volca Keys HELP PLEASE! Reply with quote

I've been successful at using my Volca Beats, as it is not my first drum machine, but Volca Keys is my first synthesizer. I received it today, and after playing with it, and listening to the preset tracks that come recorded on it, I think that either A: My parameters or the knobs are all screwed up and thats why the noise is so strange, or B: My Keys does not work properly.

I can not seem to get a single decent note or a "normal" sounding note. If someone would be kind enough to walk me through or point me in the direction where I can see what the VCO, VCF, LFO and EG is set at to have a nice, basic sounding setup? Ive tried messing with all of them, and I cant seem to get a decent sound going.

I've checked out some youtube links I found here on the forum, but I cannot see where all his knobs are set at. I keep getting really "crapy" sounding notes.

For example, can someone tell me their setup or show me somewhere where I can find something like a walkthrough... For example...

(Assuming the knob can turn 4/4, where 0/4 is all the way to the left and 4/4 is all the way to the right)

VCO
-Detune : 1/4
-Portamento: 2/4
-EG INT: 2/4

VCF
-Cutoff: 3/4
-Peak: 0/4
-EG INT: 4/4

etc etc etc

If someone could show me a basic setup for a basic sounding even very normal keyboard sounding setup of their knobs I would greatly appreciate it. Im having a hard time understanding or getting notes outta this thing. All I really want to know is a basic setup and positioning of all of the knobs on the Volca Keys to have a basic sounding synth, and then I can take it from there or I can use it as a base to start tweaking and exploring myself. I hope its just me and not my Volca Keys thats messed up. Thank you!
dan3gerou5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more question, when you sync them together, are you supposed to be able to hear them through your headphones? I synced out of the beats and in to the keys, so that the beats control the tempo, but if i plug my headphones into the beats all i can hear is the beats, not that anything sounds remotely close to good on my keys yet. Anyway, I know these are super noob questions, but you gotta learn somewhere. I appreciate any help, thank you.
dog01

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: reply to dan3gerou5 Reply with quote

Hi dan3gerou5 i will answer your second question first sync only send pulse no actually audio if you want to hear both Volcas sync you have to use either a mixer or or audio interface and both headphone outputs on the volcas ie one on bass on keys etc

it hard to say what a normal patch should sound like but i can give a link to basic patch i made

http://www.mediafire.com/view/z4tz142b1de396o/basic_patch_volca_keys_.pdf

and here a link to youtube channel that you might find helpful

https://www.youtube.com/user/AutomaticGainsay/videos

regards dog01 ps hope you have fun with your volcas
dan3gerou5

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thank you so much, very very helpful. as for the mixer, i saw some threads with examples of some. Can it go from Volcas >>> Mixer >>> Computer >>> Speakers? I gotta do some more investigating. Thank you tho.. Would you recommend a particular setup?
dan3gerou5

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, is there somewhere where i can find miltuple patch sheets like the one you showed me somewhere online? thanks again.
TheOriginalRoots

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I made patch sheets for Volca series.
you can check in this link

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=89243

have a nice day. and I hope it will help.
dog01

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: set up Reply with quote

Hi dan3gerou5 i don't actually have a mixer but i can recommend a audio interface which is the missing link in your diagram or setup, AudioBox-1818VSL $600

(only thing is it has some problems with usb3 and has some issues with latest macs. would look at their forum and make sure it will work for you before buying. presonus support is really good though. and it is a great interface )

easiest way would be
Volcas >>> audio interface on outputs of audio interface to inputs on mixer then outputs of mixer to dedicated speakers eg mackie HRmk2s, or a good pair of computer speakers)

you have to setup how audio is handled in your daw of course Googel setup audio daw and I/O etc

audio interface is connected to computer by usb or ADAT S/PDIF or firewire or thunderbolt

any way hope that helps i might have made some mistakes with the mixer part just because i don't use them LOL best just to google stuff on mixers i guess

ps i also have made some blank patch sheets they're not as neat as TheOriginalRoots one's but i found mine easier for things like knob positions

http://www.mediafire.com/view/cg8qccdg443cgyx/volca_keys_patch_sheet.pdf
analoguekid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the main things that have a barring on if the sound is nice or weird are the three knobs called detune, LFO rate and LFO pitch have these low and you get a nice sound have them high and you get a dirty sound Smile
dan3gerou5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the replies. Yeah after that initial patch, I was able to carry on quickly. No problems now.

I didnt know what to expect out of the Volcas when all three. I was under the impression that they could sync with eachother (audio) to make on mother analog music making machine. I was also surprised to find out that they only had the 1/8 mono out. After playing with them now I understand what to do.

For now, as far as the volcas go, I am more interested in keeping them within an analog setup. I bought a micro mixer just the get them all in one place. 1/8 mono to 1/4 mono cables to connect them all, then if i want i could connect all three from that mixer to and interface then into my daw, etc, etc. Im kinda interested in just rockin on them analog style. When the mixer comes ill have them hooked up to my Yamaha HS5's.

Thank you everyone for the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: