Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

program changes in midifiles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxplastic1942

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: program changes in midifiles Reply with quote

One of those problems that seem intractable. I have loaded a number of midi files onto my sd card. Having edited them in the Kross sequencer, mostly just changing the programs and volume mix, upon saving and reloading, all changes are lost and defaulted to piano. I have tried unchecking program changes and saving as Sng. PCG, Seq and various combinations but no luck. I disabled other cc messages for all tracks; I even examined the midi files in cubase event editor....no program change events. The weird thing is that some midi files worked fine but others refuse to accept the change. Also, the changes were lost upon return to start and had to be re-entered each time. I am sure this must be a common problem for old hands but its driving me crazy. Any suggestions? Also I tried the GM initialise thing.
musicfire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like there is some bug with the MIDI initializer in KROSS. Some times, the midi file doesn't pick proper instrument as it was supposed to be. Going back and forth from global Media to SEQ mode and doing GM Initialize dint help.

After restarting KROSS, it worked. Looks like external MIDI files support is not good in KROSS.
vanjarre

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After restarting KROSS, it worked. Looks like external MIDI files support is not good in KROSS.

Yes got to agree Korg Kross is pretty naff playing standard midifiles.
As I use midi files a lot the Kross is looking like a poor buy for my music Sad
Looking at Yamaha now as they seem to have addressed this much better than Korg
maxplastic1942

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only recently acquired my Kross and I have only just got it up and running as a sound module for my sequencer (Presonus Studio one). Now I can edit midi files and assign programs with comparative ease (apart from a few weird bugs with the editor plugin) If any one else is using it, you need to set the programs and then save the sequence (as a Presonus song , in this case) and then you can play the midi sequence. Otherwise the sounds all default to some arbitrary selection. Having edited your midi and got it sounding the way you want it, save it as a midifile on to an SD. Having got this far, I made the mistake of heaving a sigh of relief, a bad thing to do when doing anything with computers. When I played the file back from the SD card in the Kross, every program was duplicated onto every track! WTF? Probably a common sight these days to see a Kross keyboard flying over the hedge as some poor unfortunate musician finally loses it! After all, all he wanted to do was edit a midi file and have it play back as a song in Kross. What could be simpler? Trust me! Nothing is ever simple. I have used every version of Cubase from the first versions that ran on an AMIGA, and you never stop finding weird bugs and having to waste hours or days finding tedious workarounds. At least Studio one is user friendly and not unnecessarily complex but the same learning curve still applies unfortunately, while the Kross is overly complex. The mind boggles at having to build a complex midi sequence using that tiny screen and intractably layered menus! I have emailed Korg about my problem and will keep you posted if I get any joy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: