Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you feel about music today?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
reactanceS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: How do you feel about music today? Reply with quote

Discuss.
Hugo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't feel it.
button

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovin it.

also anyone that says they don't like it I don't understand considering how much music there is out there. It's impossible to listen to it all so there is no way one can come to any such conclusion, right?

So far I am enjoying the music I find. I know what I wanna hear more or less and I'm able to find music that does it for me. sure not all the time, still more than enough than I have time to listen to as much as I'd like.

I don't ever expect there to be another The Doors or another Janis Joplin, what have you but what I do expect I am more than quenched by.

some songs from 2013, pretty much all the same genre but.... because my favs...

Gliss - blur
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvNJZEPhoY0

Lady Lamb The Beekeeper - Bird Balloons
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaWmWTTIF9Y

Drape - Sister's eye
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYeU0obiF98

The Besnard Lakes - colour yr lights in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN_rm_-hwPs

Lee Ranaldo and the Dust - Lecce, Leaving
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPBFyjmLGk8

Bleeding Rainbow - Waking Dream
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL2uSm19aEU

Wild Nothing - Ride
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn2JzYPlfCk

The History of Apple Pie - Mallory
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4rH2faXHjA

Widowspeak - Devil Knows
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAXgCsAsp9M

Best Coast - Who Have I Become
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZzESfMZHxE

Panda Riot - Good Night, Rich Kids
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EGeMsW5Kkg
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing has moved me to talk radio faster than current music. Granted, I'm an old fart, but really: the Prozac-soaked dreck of the last 20 years is just brutal to my ears. Lyrics like "I hate you so much I'm gonna kill myself and then you," (or words to the same defect) the fact that you can't actually find a melody in the music, and then brain-dead drummers with so little talent that they spend their entire track pounding a crash cymbal 4 to the bar. Lastly, the whiny-assed vocals, dry and monotone, are the biggest turnoff. No wonder they're all so depressed: they sound so friggin' BORING, no one wants to be near them!

How I long for the days of space within music, an actual level of playing competency, harmony, structure, and a decent solo. Today all there are is lyrics that are so depressing that even I want to go take a Zoloft and drink copious amounts of dark liquor...

Wow! I must be really cranky today. Between this post and the one on the Korg Tactile, I guess maybe I Do need a Prozac! Smile

..Joe
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Gerardi wrote:
"I hate you so much I'm gonna kill myself and then you,"
..Joe

Love it! Cool
Past Instruments of Construction: Hammond A100 w/Leslie 760, Korg R3, Roland AxSynth, Korg Poly61, Korg M1, Univox MaxiKorg, Korg MS2000, (2) Moog Concertmate MG1, (2) Hammond X5, Rhodes Mark I & 2, Farfisa Compact, Yamaha S08, Casio SK1, Strymon Mobius, Custom Bass Pedals, Burns B3 Theremin.
analoguekid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far to hard to get any kind of step up from hobbyist status, there are too many free avenues to hear music, so only those that are currently at a level where they are making money from it get any kind of recognition for their music.
Pincho Paxton

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The music today is rubbish, so I make my own on the keyboard. The last groups that I liked were The Spice Girls, and Escala. Then I go all the way back to Radiohead, and Led Zeppelin. So there is a huge gap from Spice Girls to Radiohead. After Escala there is only... What does the fox say?
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, button. I just spent ten minutes I won't get back listening to a minute or so of each track you posted - you know, the way agents/promoters do. You see what Joe was saying?
DH56

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Gerardi wrote:
Nothing has moved me to talk radio faster than current music. Granted, I'm an old fart, but really: the Prozac-soaked dreck of the last 20 years is just brutal to my ears. Lyrics like "I hate you so much I'm gonna kill myself and then you," (or words to the same defect) the fact that you can't actually find a melody in the music, and then brain-dead drummers with so little talent that they spend their entire track pounding a crash cymbal 4 to the bar. Lastly, the whiny-assed vocals, dry and monotone, are the biggest turnoff. No wonder they're all so depressed: they sound so friggin' BORING, no one wants to be near them!

How I long for the days of space within music, an actual level of playing competency, harmony, structure, and a decent solo. Today all there are is lyrics that are so depressing that even I want to go take a Zoloft and drink copious amounts of dark liquor...

Wow! I must be really cranky today. Between this post and the one on the Korg Tactile, I guess maybe I Do need a Prozac! Smile

..Joe

Stone the bleedin' crows Joe! I laughed so hard I nearly coughed up a lung!

Yes us old farts can commiserate on how we miss all of the melody and harmony rich tunes of yore, but every generation has to have their own defining mark and with music I guess it's no different. Or, as ol' Petey said so succinctly on Quadrophenia, "each to his own sewage!!"

I saw where it is the 50th anniversary of the Beatles taking America by storm. I was there in front of the tele on that fateful Sunday night when they first appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show and from that point my musical dreams would never be the same! Who would have thought that these four blokes from Liverpool, England would light a musical spark that would fire up an entire generation. Just priceless!

How do I feel about today's music? I feel great because yesterday's music is as much a part of today as any other and I can relive my youth and enjoy music of all stripes any time at all.

Ain't it a blast! Cool
KRONOS2-61 | OASYS 76 | Jupiter-80 | Integra-7 | V-Synth GT (2) | V-Synth XT | Fantom XR (2) |XV-5080 | Triton-Rack | JD990 (4) | Wavestation SR | 01R/W | JV-2080 | JV-1080 | Kurzweil K2500RS | Kurzweil K2000RS | Proteus 3 World | SC-88 | D-70 | MC-80 | TD-20 V-Drums | Korg Wavedrum | Roland Handsonic HPD-15 | Mackie SR32.4-VLZPRO | Mackie 1402-VLZ3 | Yamaha HS80M

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=948812
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So true, DH56. I guess this ol' fart was having a grumpy moment before - comes easy now and again, eh? Very Happy Music, grumpy moments, all generational things, maybe.
DH56

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Giner...I think it's called "life" mate! Laughing We all have our moments don't we?

But of course Joe had to use that priceless phrase "Prozac soaked dreck"

Just sent me over the top! I'm still chuckling!
KRONOS2-61 | OASYS 76 | Jupiter-80 | Integra-7 | V-Synth GT (2) | V-Synth XT | Fantom XR (2) |XV-5080 | Triton-Rack | JD990 (4) | Wavestation SR | 01R/W | JV-2080 | JV-1080 | Kurzweil K2500RS | Kurzweil K2000RS | Proteus 3 World | SC-88 | D-70 | MC-80 | TD-20 V-Drums | Korg Wavedrum | Roland Handsonic HPD-15 | Mackie SR32.4-VLZPRO | Mackie 1402-VLZ3 | Yamaha HS80M

button

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Gerardi wrote:
[...]

..Joe

hhmm yes you do sound more depressing that the music you're trying to bash. ah well xP
button

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giner wrote:
Hey, button. I just spent ten minutes I won't get back listening to a minute or so of each track you posted - you know, the way agents/promoters do. You see what Joe was saying?

Please don't judge a whole generation of music based on a handful of links that you didn't even listen all the way through more than once of.. makes you look like a dumbass. try opening your mind and broadening your palate, not so negative and being so quick to judge. like I said before there is a lot of music out there, if you don't take the time to listen to a enough then obviously you won't find much, especially if you are quick to judge. one of the reasons why I'm put off sharing any of my own music, when no one really gives a s**t and just brushes over it like it is nothing.
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

button wrote:
Joe Gerardi wrote:
[...]

..Joe

hhmm yes you do sound more depressing that the music you're trying to bash. ah well xP

And so it starts. An adolescent gets a knot in his knickers because he writes a post expecting everyone to love the same things he does and then has to lash out.

Okay, son. I'll play along: the videos you posted obviously have the keyboard chops of Emerson, Wakeman, and Banks, the guitar licks on par with Gilmore and Clapton, drumming to compare with Phil Collins, Bill Bruford, and Carl Palmer, and hooks that make Tears for Fears nauseate me...

Oh, wait: there's really nothing there that hasn't been regurgitated countless times, banal droning of the same old themes over and over again, and you couldn't find a hook if you were living in Never-Never Land.

Sorry our opinions make you hurt so badly, but if it's really that uncomfortable, I'm sure we will all chip in and buy you some Vagisil to rub on it...

Or, you can expect that people won't like what you do. It's called a preference. We all have ours, and we are entitled to them. Accepting THAT is called "maturity."

..Joe
DH56

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@button...

OK, to be fair, I DID go and listen to all of the links that you posted, and you know what? I found a couple of tunes that I was really fond of. Namely, The Besnard Lakes "Colour Yr Lights In" and Bleeding Rainbow's "Waking Dream."

They instantly reminded me of some of my fave MTV style video's from the 80's. The "tortured soul" chap in "Colour" was just bloody brilliant mate and the upbeat feel-good pop of "Waking Dream" was nicely done.

A lot of the others had a certain style, and while that style is not bad at all, it is a style that you obviously relate to. For me, that certain style was already immortalized in bands like The Pretenders, The Motels and East of Eden among others from the 80's and 90's.

Which leads us into what Joe was saying about there being "nothing new under the sun." I don't think today's music is bad at all...a well crafted song is still a well crafted song you know? They will just never be able to move me the way the Beatles, The Stones, The Who, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Yes, Genesis and so many other's can.

So, I while I will certainly not dismiss any one's music as being unlikeable or unlistenable until I give it a chance, I will take offense at personal attacks by those whose skin is a little too thin.

Quote:
makes you look like a dumbass

This kind of rude comment belies civility and is not in line with being a fun-loving equal opportunity basher. OK, so I understand giner's piling on could have been construed as a little dismissive and hurtful, but you have to take the good with the bad and just man up sometimes without taking serious offense. Shame on you

I obviously saw Joe's original over the top sarcasm as hilarious, and if it had been pointed at me, I would have responded in kind with the same humor without resorting to any personal attacks. You roundly deserved his pointed reply to your jab.

Which leads me to another rather sad moment in your retorts. You stated that you don't post your own music because of the fear that others will not care or dump all over it. Life is too short to care or bemoan the fact that others won't like you or what you do.

When I was young, there was no such thing as "political correctness" and only winners got trophies for crying out loud! I am an unapologetic untrained amateur musician who put my 132 songs up for public display and let the critics say what they will. It won't stop me from just bashing away and having a blast.

This music thing is about having fun. People are different and will like and dislike different things...nothing new about that! So thanks for hipping me to those videos that I loved and I sincerely hope that you will learn to appreciate and accept criticism as well as praise in this imperfect world. And by all means, put your stuff out there...you may just be pleasantly surprised!

We love you man! Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Music All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: