Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PROBLEM!! Volca Bass STEP REC mode
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
01rsa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: PROBLEM!! Volca Bass STEP REC mode Reply with quote

Hello,
I've recently tried to program my Volca Bass using the "step rec" mode. I was really deceived at first by how unpractical it was but now I realise it should be nice when the mistake in the software will be adressed.
Please read carefully and experiment on your Volca Bass so you can understand and join with me to ask Korg for an update.
IT'S IMPORTANT FOR EVERY VOLCA BASS OWNER OR FUTURE OWNER.

Here's the procedure step by step:

-1: press FUNC+CLEAR..PART to start from a blank pattern
-2: press FUNC+STEP REC to enter "step rec" mode.
Now the LED under M1 is blinking meaning you're going to record the first step of your sequence.
-3: press the key 13 (or any other, it doesn't matter)
You've recorded a A note (13) on step 1 and the LED is now blinking under M2 so you can record step 2 off the sequence now.

Let's say you have finished your sequence that consist of one A (13) note on step 1. Now you don't quit "step rec" mode but you want to verify what's been recorded. To do this:

-4: press PLAY 15 times so that the blinking LED places under The first step M1. Apparently there's no note recorded on step 1 but if you press PLAY one more time the blinking LED places under the second step M2 and a LED lights above key 13 as if the note you entered in step 1 was in fact recorded in step 2.
THAT'S A FIRST PROBLEM

Now if you quit "step rec" mode by pressing FUNC then press PLAY you can hear that your A note has really been recorded on step 1 so it doesn't seem to be a big problem but here's a second example that I wish will end to convince Korg programmers and all the Volca Bass players who love to program tight basslines in step mode by trials and errors as it should.

Please read the second post and experiment with your Volca Bass.
01rsa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now here's the worst part:

Let's say I made a mistake in my sequence I want to rectify. To keep it the most simple I continue with my sequence with a A (13) on step 1.
Now I want to change the A for a B (key 15) and will process like I think any normal minded person would:

-1: I press FUNC+STEP REC to enter "step rec" mode again
-2: I press PLAY one time so the blinking LED places under M2 where the first note of the sequence appears to be recorded since the LED above the 13 key is on. OK it's silly but now I know that's how it is.
-3: I then press the 15 key (a B note) so I wish it replaces the previously recorded A note (13) and the blinking LED places automatically under step 3 (M3)
I suppose I'm fine but want to verify my sequence
-4: I press PLAY 15 times to place the blinking LED under step 2 (M2)......
SURPRISE!! The A (13) note is still on this step. I press PLAY another time and the B note (15) has in fact been recorded on step 3 (M3).

Please don't tell me it's logical because in the actual state of the " step rec" mode here's what I should do to see an incorrect note in my sequence and change it:

-1: To see a problematic note, press play x times to place the blinking LED one step above the actual step the note will play
-2: press PLAY another 14 time to place the blinking LED one step before the note I want to change and then press the correct key.

Now what if I'm not sure the new note entered sounds good?
-3: press PLAY another 16 times to hear the steps ( or quit "step rec" mode and play the sequence then re-enter " step rec" mode)
-4: if not satisfied press PLAY another 14 times and try again...

Who said the TB-303's sequencer is a nightmare to use? It's a beautiful dream compared to this.

Anyway I'm sure it's not the way the "step rec" mode was intented to play and it's just an error of programing that must be corrected.

NOW PLEASE READ AND REPRODUCT THE PROCEDURES I DESCRIBED AND JOIN MY COMPLAIN SO THAT KORG GRATIFIES US WITH AN UPDATE IN A SHORT TIME OTHERWAY THE KORG VOLCA IS WORTH PEANUTS. FOR ME AT LEAST.

THANK YOU AND KORG BY ADVANCE
01rsa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing by the way if people at Korg is reading.. Could you implement a "step back" key in the "step rec" mode.. The " memory/write" key would be nice for example. OK OK one thing at a time Wink
analoguekid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That all sounds mighty complicated, I have a Keys and haven't explored the sequencer writing bit so far, apart from clearing a pattern and putting one continous note so that it holds a sound playing as I cant get my release to go to infinity and beyond Smile although I dont think the keys has a step record function does it?

To be honest I wouldn't look at these volcas as anything other than a cheap fun machine and certainly not for any serious music making.
01rsa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no step sequencer on the keys but it's not essential for chords.
On the other hand I think it's essential for a bassline to have a step sequencer you can edit in detail and logically.
If the TB-303 had the same shitty step sequencer as the Volca Bass I bet they would sell for next to nothing.
Korg really didn't market the Volca serie as toys for kids. I only own the Bass and for me it has the potential to be a great music production tool but in it's actual state it's a rip off. I don't feel good with that and no-one should.
Come on Korg! You've got all the cards in your hands. The Volca Bass can be a classic, don't loose your credibility.
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have my Volcas nearby to test this, but it sounds like pressing Play in Step Mode might be duplicating, sustaining or even shifting the last note entered. This would explain why they keep jumping up steps after hitting Play so many times. Therefore, you should not be in Step Mode if you wish to preview your pattern. Also, I seem to remember having problems where after I cleared out a pattern (FUNC+CLEAR) and tried to record directly after, I'd have notes from the previous pattern pop back up. So another thing worth trying would be entering Step Mode then hit REC 16 times to wipe out everything manually before you begin programming your sequence. It's been months since I used the sequencer (I sequence via MIDI), but I'll try messing with mine later to confirm.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
01rsa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes please try it following the steps one by one like I explained. It's just a matter of 2 minutes really and you should understand what I mean.

Pressing PLAY multiple times doesn't affect the sequence at all but it's just a way to see what's been recorded while in "step rec" mode.
If there wasn't this odd shifting and the fact that you can't enter the actual step but the next, it would be easy to edit sequences in "step rec" mode..
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I tested this out and can pin point exactly what is happening. When you press Play in Step Mode, it only plays back the step that the blinking light is on when you press Play. This totally sounds confusing for me to explain properly, haha, but to give you an example:

1. Clear the pattern and press Play enough times so the blinking light is on M8, then press any single note.

2. Press play a few more times till the blinking light is yet again on key M8 again.

3. Now, at this point in time, when you press Play, it will then trigger and hold the note that is programmed on M8.

4. The confusing part: After you hit play and hear the note being triggered back, the flashing light actually moves on the next step for you to input the next note.

So basically, when you are pressing Play in Step Mode to "preview back" a note on a step, as you are hearing that note, the sequencer itself is actually waiting for you to input data for the following step. It took awhile for me to wrap my brain around it, but once I did, I was able to edit notes flawlessly. They certainly could have explained this better in the manual, but once you get used to it, it's easy to adapt to.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
01rsa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Re-Member now you understand the problem.
Honestly wouldn't it make more sense if we could enter the note of the actual step?
Imagine you want to correct one problematic note in a sequence, then you localise it using the PLAY button so you hear and see it..nice..But then you must press PLAY another 15 times to place the light on the step before then enter the new note.
Plus you'll notice that while in "step rec" mode, the actual first step of a sequence is indicated on the second step and so on.
All this is confusing as hell and unpractical where it could be so simple
and you're right that reading the manual it appears it's not the way it was intented to work in the first place but is just an error from the programmer.
I just hope Korg adresses this problem in a future update.
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

01rsa wrote:
wouldn't it make more sense if we could enter the note of the actual step?

You are actually doing just that based on the blinking light. Look at the blinking light... when you press a note, it enters that note for that specific step. The problem you are having is that you're confused about "previewing a note" in Step Rec mode by pressing the Play button. Hitting Play in Step Rec will let you listen to previously recorded data based on the step where the blinking light is, but then it jumps to the next step so you enter or rewrite the next step...
01rsa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say:"You are actually doing just that based on the blinking light. Look at the blinking light... when you press a note, it enters that note for that specific step."
In fact it enters the note for the next step that's a problem I think because like you say:
" The problem you are having is that you're confused about "previewing a note" in Step Rec mode by pressing play"
Anyway I see you understand my problem but I think you don't feel really concerned since you sequence your Volca externally. Thank you anyway for your interest, I just hope my complain comes to the hears of Korg people because I'm convinced my point makes sense. Comparatively I feel really confortable with the TB-303 or XoxBox sequencers that many find difficult to use.
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is a problem at all with the sequencer. I'll give a better example of how to precisely edit a step...

1. Clear the pattern, then enter Step Mode
2. Press play exactly six times so that the blinking light skips forward to select step 7 (key M7)
3. Enter any note, then exit Step Mode and press play to confirm that a single note is on step 7
4. Enter Step Mode again and press play six times so that the blinking light is on step 7*
5. Enter a different note, then exit Step Mode and press play to confirm that the note for step 7 has been replaced.

*The part where you are confused here is that when you move the blinking light to select step 7, you actually won't hear the note on that step till after you press Play an additional time. Doing so will then trigger the note, but it also makes the blinking light jump up to the next step. Even the manual mentions this.

To me, this makes sense. The blinking light indicates what the "selected step" is, then if you press a key, Play or Rec, the "selected step" then moves ahead.
01rsa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: l Reply with quote

Well... I won't argue anymore, This step sequencer is what it is and apparently I'm just one in a few that complains about it. I'm quite experimented with Rebirth, TB-303, Xoxbox.. those are logical and pleasant to use for me but the Volca bass isn't and not worth the pain soundwise. I don't want to loose time with it. Mine is on sale.
cheers
analoguekid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: l Reply with quote

01rsa wrote:
Well... I won't argue anymore, This step sequencer is what it is and apparently I'm just one in a few that complains about it. I'm quite experimented with Rebirth, TB-303, Xoxbox.. those are logical and pleasant to use for me but the Volca bass isn't and not worth the pain soundwise. I don't want to loose time with it. Mine is on sale.
cheers

Fair play to you, no point in wasting valuable music making time on something your not comfortable with Smile

Here is a question for re-member if he can help, ref to my post above, do you know how to make the Keys continually hold a note/chord using sustain and release as mine just seems to die away too soon?
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: l Reply with quote

analoguekid wrote:
Here is a question for re-member if he can help, ref to my post above, do you know how to make the Keys continually hold a note/chord using sustain and release as mine just seems to die away too soon?

Yeah, all you have to do is make sure "STEP TRIGGER" is deactivated, clear a pattern, turn the Sustain all the way clockwise and the EG Int knob counter-clockwise, press Record only once to arm the sequencer, then hold any note to begin recording. Just watch the blinking step light and after it cycles through all 16 steps and makes its way back to step 1, release the note and press Stop quickly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: