Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Solved! Volca Beats or Volca Keys random step skiping issue?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldenCinnamonSimon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Solved! Volca Beats or Volca Keys random step skiping issue? Reply with quote

Just received my 3 Korg Volca a few days ago. I'm wondering if there is a problem with my Volca Beats. Or maybe there is a problem with what the Volca Keys is sending... The Volca Beats is connected in the ''sync in'' via a standard wire from the ''sync out'' of the Volca Keys.

The issue is that the Beats sometimes skip some steps and therefore get off beat with the Keys's synth melody. We can see the lights under the steps on the Volca Beats going faster suddenly when it occurs. In this video, it happens at 41 secondes, 49s, 52s, 55s, 1m11s and 1m24s. That does not happen when it is the Beats that sends sync to the Keys, but I guess those 3 Volca machines are made to be equally sending or receiving the signals...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf8gLGOXO_4&feature=youtu.be

I've read all the instructions manuals, but I am new to those kind of sequencing stuff. Maybe I just don't know how to use those well yet...

Anyone could help?

Best regards.

Last edited by GoldenCinnamonSimon on Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
GoldenCinnamonSimon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've continued to investigate... where I plugged the Beats first and sent a beat by sync out to the Keys's sync in and vice versa.

When I start a sequenced melody on the Keys (Keys sync out to the Beats sync in), and then I turn the knob of the VCF's cutoff repeatedly on the Keys, especially on the frequence where it is kind of harsh and strident (the peak knob and the eg int knob of the vcf are at full position to the right to get that sound), the sequence of the Keys jumps and skips steps so it gets off beat with the Beats. It makes the Beats steps too when Keys is sync out to the Beats but the Beats stays intact when the Keys is sync in and the Beats out.

I think I found the guilty one...

Now, is my Keys defective or is it just something I don't get?

Thanks for your support.
GoldenCinnamonSimon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoinkel (not me) says, "Recently all my three Volcas started showing sync problems, with constant skipping and jumping. I spent many fruitless hours trying to track down the problem and was ready to give up and use an external device with midi clock shared over a thru box, but then I found out the culprit: ALL cables going to and from Volcas must be 3.5mm STEREO. If you plug a mono cable (e.g. a Eurorack patch cable) into audio out, it short circuits something and sync will break. The manual isn't clear enough about it: it uses rather non-techie phrases like 'use included cable' and 'plug your headphones here'. Lesson learned..." Source: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/9719633-post3284.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: