Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any tips on shipping Kronos 88 in USA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Any tips on shipping Kronos 88 in USA Reply with quote

I had my travel cancelled this year(viral pandemic), so i dumped my plan to be away from Kronos for only 6 months, and then get back to it.

Looks like i will be stuck in my new home well into next year and won’t be able to go back to get my Kronos rig to bring it back.

Got my sister’s man to get my rig out of storage and pack it for shipping, but i am not sure if i am finding the best options for shipping.
UPS is cheaper than Fedex and both are quick and concise shippers, but $950.oo is the cheapest quote for a 5 day transit time.

Time is no big deal and i can wait a few weeks or longer transit time if needed. Just wondering if it is possible to get it hundreds of US dollars cheaper.

I am shipping from Ohio region of USA, all the way to Hawaii. It has over-land leg and an over-sea leg, if it does not go by air.

$950 is not terrible for me(it’s much cheaper than buying all new rig), but seems pricey for shipping just the 88 key Kronos in its case. I could use any savings to buy new loud speakers and also ship a smaller package of my drum machine, pedals and cables.[/i]
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are in an expensive situation.

its more important to get adequate protection and service and insurance.

If your is K is taken into a FedX store, the Fedx people will also box it in their FedX box. Thats the way they roll, yes I know about your case.

BTW, all the shippers are struggling and taking much more time to ship from A to B. Thats the new normal.
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That’s a lot higher than I would have guessed. Maybe you should research how much a second K would cost??
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you have it boxed up for shipping, if you can keep the weight of it under 70lbs with all of your packing material included, etc., you can ship it via USPS Ground. It'll cost around $200.00 and will take probably 2 weeks or a little longer to get there.

I rough estimated the shipping costs on USPS's site and plugged in a random zip code in Ohio shipping to a random zip code in Hawaii.

It's really gonna be your cheapest option, but you may not want to ship it via the post office...

You can use the price calculator here and plug in more precise values than I used... https://postcalc.usps.com
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardSync wrote:
Once you have it boxed up for shipping, if you can keep the weight of it under 70lbs with all of your packing material included, etc., you can ship it via USPS Ground. It'll cost around $200.00 and will take probably 2 weeks or a little longer to get there.

I rough estimated the shipping costs on USPS's site and plugged in a random zip code in Ohio shipping to a random zip code in Hawaii.

It's really gonna be your cheapest option, but you may not want to ship it via the post office...

You can use the price calculator here and plug in more precise values than I used... https://postcalc.usps.com

when it pertains to expensive electronics or other high value, I believe USPS has certain rules. IOW, for insurance purposes, the gear owner has to make the visit to USPS, complete/sign the forms.
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance is limited to items worth $5000 or less for their actual value. Ground shipping has no automatic insurance, so you have to pay for insuring it. So yeah, the extra insurance will add to the price. For something as large and heavy as a Kronos 88, you have to bring it the post office so they can weigh and measure it precisely. I think there is a form with an insurance sticker attached that is put on your package. They date stamp the form and you keep the form with you. Making a claim on that insurance is probably a huge pain in the bum, though... I've never done that. I would recommend taking pics of the package and contents just before it is shipped, and then taking pics when it arrives at the destination.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardSync wrote:

Thanks. I looked at USPS and i will be pushing the weight and size limit if not going over.
They have a size limit also. Not specified but i was rejected after entering 70”x25”x15” dimensions. Rejected for exceeding size limit.
So i won’t get my hopes up especially since i have to prioritize packing it with the soft case, which has hard edges and corners. Then stuffing that case with padding or styrofoam, and then the cable+booklets and DVD.
Then taping up a cardboard box over all of that.
I don’t think i will be able to safely make 70 pounds weight limit.

It will be easier to pay $950 than make 70 pound weight limit. But i will try without compromising any padding to the package.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcon2e wrote:
Wow! That’s a lot higher than I would have guessed. Maybe you should research how much a second K would cost??

Even at $950 with UPS cheapest option, i am still much cheaper than buying another set of equipment.
Especially if i want the sound and feature capabilities similar to Kronos.

I would have considered software synths and such, with a cheap 88 key controller like Arturia or Nektar, which come with software synth bundles included, some with more than 4000 sounds.

But i have no laptop and would have to buy a pricey laptop just to make the switch. Was also looking at used iMac, but still the cost of software, used iMac, cheap 88 key controller and such, adds up to the same cost as shipping my Kronos 88, the drum machine and small mixer + all kinds of cables.
And i would also be wasting my Kronos away in storage.
Saves waste to bring my Kronos over, especially since i am finally stuck at home for a full year and already know i can be content with my Kronos.
I have been 6 months only, in any single country, for the passed 10 years, except 2012-2013 i stayed for a full year in one spot.

I want to eventually move into software environment, via macbook pro, but i don’t want to make the move in a compromise situation where i am pressed to throw something together cheaply, like buying used computer without clear or trustworthy accounting for the actual specifications.
Am waiting for the right time and place to make that move and i would still like to have Kronos and maybe even get the next generation Kronos when it comes out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: