Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos + Logic Pro X: External Midi and Software Instruments

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sequencers / Audio recording packages.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcanic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Kronos + Logic Pro X: External Midi and Software Instruments Reply with quote

Korg Kronos connected to iMac via USB, Kronos is in Sequencer mode. Logic Pro - empty project - added an audio track with input monitoring is enabled - I hear sound from the Kronos - add External Midi tracks and set each track to different midi channels - this all works fine.
But when I add a new Software Instrument track and hit some notes, I also hear the Kronos (selected track on the kronos sequencer).
My question is: in Logic Pro X, is it possible to disable midi out back to the Kronos on Software Instrument tracks, while still hearing the other External Midi tracks playing through the Kronos?
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try disabling Local Control in Kronos global mode?

The problem sounds not like Logic is echoing MIDI back but that the Kronos is playing itself as you play the keys to control the software instrument?

MIDI tracks with a software plugin instrument should not transmit any external MIDI unless you go out of your way to set it up as such.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
mcanic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response X-Trade, appreciate it.

Global mode - that does the trick indeed - seen it mentioned in some other forum posts as well, somehow I overlooked it. This makes the project ready for set-up to record external instruments as well as software instruments.

Neeext problem! Smile

I want to transfer my half-finished song from my kronos sequencer to midi tracks in Logic Pro and finish it there. Is it possible to record all (13) tracks at once to 13 differend External Midi tracks?
For simplicity I have only one external midi track set-up for channel 1 now, but the midi signals from all tracks seem to be transmitted to this channel...
Also don't understand yet how to make the sequencers sync (logic pro as master).

I think I will tinker with this some more later... will report back. If someone has some handy tips/tricks in the meantime, let me know.
mcanic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Recording multiple midi tracks at once from ext. sequencer Reply with quote

Fixed. For what it's worth:

In the Logic X Pro audio preferences: input device = KRONOS, output device is built-in output. Set Kronos to Local control off and Midi sync via USB in the Global - Midi settings. Insert an extra measure at the beginning in the Kronos sequencer because of a delay at the start. In Logic's Project Settings, make sure that “Auto demix by channel if multitrack recording” is enabled (checked) in the Recording options. Also make sure that, in Synchronization - Midi options, "Transmit Midi Clock" is sent to Destination 1, select KRONOS SOUND there. Then add as many external midi tracks in logic as you want to record and set each one to it corresponding midi-channel.
In Logic: toggle on sync mode, select the first midi track, set the playhead to 0 andand hit record. All midi data seems to be record to the selected track, but when recording stops, the recorded midi data is pushed to the correct midi tracks.

EDIT: forgot to mention the Transmit Midi Clock option, added this
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sequencers / Audio recording packages. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: