Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Midi Files on Kross
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanjarre

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Midi Files on Kross Reply with quote

Hi new to all this and need some help if possible.
How do you load midi files,i have formatted SD card on keyboard and placed midifiles in Data sub folder but when I go to Media I don't get any files showing.Thanks .
vanjarre

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does nobody use midi files then??
tommymandel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not me, but I'm sure many do. Smile
byllsong

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your PM
vanjarre

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to byllsong thanks Very Happy
studio99

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many limitations due to the way the Korg Sequencer treats midifiles
You can also check other Korg posts (search on midifiles)
The info is there but it's scattered throughout several places.
At one time I did a lot of research on the topic and I'll see if I can find the posts that outline the method and post the links here over the weekend
vanjarre

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks Smile
vanjarre

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now sorted I think Wink thanks for help looking forward to learning more about this keyboard now.....maybe even read the manual Confused
Ivorykeys

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Loading MIDI Files Reply with quote

Hello,

I am new to the forum, and in fact, relatively new to Korg, at least of recent. My first electric piano ever was a Korg about 100 years ago. It was an 88 key, fully weighted (my back still hurts) board, and I only have good memories of it as I was playing my first gigs and refining my chops to my current state....but I digress...

Anyway, I am contemplating purchasing the Kross 61 for several reasons; it has some really impressive sounds, it's really light weight, and it can operate on batteries, which is critical for my application, since I do beach weddings where there may not be electricity to plug into.

I was also looking at the Casio XW(?) but the Korg seemed to be far superior in terms of quality of patches/sounds and overall keyboard feel, at least to me. I also like the piano patch better.

I would like to know if it is possible to load sequenced midi songs into the unit to playback as backing tracks. I own a Fantom X and a Motif XF, and I would like to utilize the same multitrack MIDI-sequenced files on the Kross that I use in my other keyboards.

I did several searches, and read some of the online manual, but I can't really find anything on the topic, which is disconcerting. I did notice that there was no USB to load in files, but I was hoping one could load them in via the flash card.

Any feedback and/or specific references on this topic would be most greatly appreciated. Thanks!
vanjarre

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have loaded midi files to Kross via sd card but not too impressed with voiceing .I am at early stage of trying so hopefully can sort out .I also haven't been able to find great deal of info on midifiles on Kross.
Ivorykeys

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanjarre wrote:
I have loaded midi files to Kross via sd card but not too impressed with voiceing .I am at early stage of trying so hopefully can sort out .I also haven't been able to find great deal of info on midifiles on Kross.

Thanks for the reply. I'll be searching as well and will post something if I find any answers. Good luck.
studio99

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the short answer:
Good News: Yes you can load and play midi files on the Kross and once set up the files play fine
Bad News: It can be a pain in the butt to set up initially

Here's the bare bones steps

1. Be sure the Global bank mode is set to GM2
2. Place the Midi file on the root Kross level of your SD card
3. Locate and load the file into the sequencer. you can specify which song # it loads into.
4. Once loaded, in seq mode, utilize the the GM Initialize command in the function menu
5. Switch back to Global mode momentarily and then return to seq mode(don't ask mw why but it's a necessary step)
6. At this point the song may play fine but it's frequently necessary to tweak the voicing further to get the sound you like. The drums are the most frequent problem depending on how the initial midi file was created
7. Once you have a group of songs "processed" save that as a song bank to your sd card and you can load it all at once. The internal memory seems to support 15 to20 songs as a group

All this seems a little daunting but once you get the process down you can convert an smf to a Korg songfile in about 10 minutes and once it's done it's done.

Another alternative is to use another instrument entirely as your back up band and the Korg as your solo instrument. There is an excellent iphone app called midiplayer 3.0 if you have an iphone or an ipad. You can run your iphone through the audio in jack in the Kross if desired or directly to your mixer.

It's too bad that the Korg engineers who do so many other things brilliantly don't recognize this glaring weakness in an otherwise excellent instrument.
I have a consumer level Yamaha (PSR423) that cost under $300 and let's you simply plug in a flash drive and play almost any midi file directly from that. Of course it doesn't sound anywhere as good as the Kross!

Anyway hope this helps
Ivorykeys

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

studio99 wrote:
Here's the short answer:
Good News: Yes you can load and play midi files on the Kross and once set up the files play fine
Bad News: It can be a pain in the butt to set up initially

Here's the bare bones steps

1. Be sure the Global bank mode is set to GM2
2. Place the Midi file on the root Kross level of your SD card
3. Locate and load the file into the sequencer. you can specify which song # it loads into.
4. Once loaded, in seq mode, utilize the the GM Initialize command in the function menu
5. Switch back to Global mode momentarily and then return to seq mode(don't ask mw why but it's a necessary step)
6. At this point the song may play fine but it's frequently necessary to tweak the voicing further to get the sound you like. The drums are the most frequent problem depending on how the initial midi file was created
7. Once you have a group of songs "processed" save that as a song bank to your sd card and you can load it all at once. The internal memory seems to support 15 to20 songs as a group

All this seems a little daunting but once you get the process down you can convert an smf to a Korg songfile in about 10 minutes and once it's done it's done.

Another alternative is to use another instrument entirely as your back up band and the Korg as your solo instrument. There is an excellent iphone app called midiplayer 3.0 if you have an iphone or an ipad. You can run your iphone through the audio in jack in the Kross if desired or directly to your mixer.

It's too bad that the Korg engineers who do so many other things brilliantly don't recognize this glaring weakness in an otherwise excellent instrument.
I have a consumer level Yamaha (PSR423) that cost under $300 and let's you simply plug in a flash drive and play almost any midi file directly from that. Of course it doesn't sound anywhere as good as the Kross!

Anyway hope this helps

Studio99,

That was an excellent tutorial on how to accomplish what may have been a much more monumental task. Thank you!!!

You mention that the internal memory should hold about 15-20 songs as a group. I am wondering if you can just load them from the memory card (or cards) as you need them for quicker transition from one song to another...or if they need to be loaded to the internal sequencer memory in order to be loaded...not sure about this?

I work with maybe 50-70 songs/gig. Some are backing tracks for vocals and some are just instrumental backing tracks where I would play piano for the melody/solos. I also use iPODS for tracks, but I really like the MIDI file route, since you can change individual instruments/patches, tempos, parameters, effects, and generally add more individuality to the song (rather than it sometimes sounding like a stock backing track that just sounds like karaoke-ish). This is why quick flow/song transition is so important.

I am not really familiar with this forum, but this important note that you shared deserves to be a posted 'must have' link somewhere...and you should get a gold star (or the forum equivalent).

I am going to the local Guitar Center to try this out to see how it pans out and I'll update the post...it will probably dictate whether I purchase the unit or not. Thanks again!
vanjarre

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big thanks to Studio 99.
Now off to play Very Happy
musicfire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I just got my Korg kross 61 and i am trying to explore it. Thanks to Studio99, i got the answer for loading midi files in Kross. But i am unable to use Korg combinations while i am playing with midi. It always takes the current track voice.

Other than saving the midi to audio song, is there any way to play combinations sounds along with midi song in Sequencer mode?

Thanks in advance!

-kk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: