Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

playing over backing tracks on time

View previous topic :: View next topic  
awake21

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: playing over backing tracks on time Reply with quote

i went to a clinic of steve mcnally and he played this song, my question is how can he be in time with the percussion or the backing track, while there is no click. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZJu0o9xZJ0
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as playing live with a group, you follow the drums and use your natural rhythm, timing. Plus he will have played that demo lots of times, he could do it in his sleep.

Is that what you are asking Very Happy
Niarf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that tune, you can find it here : http://youtu.be/Y4kf0c8edAw

Cool huh ?
jorgemncardoso

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: playing over backing tracks on time Reply with quote

awake21 wrote:
i went to a clinic of steve mcnally and he played this song, my question is how can he be in time with the percussion or the backing track, while there is no click. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZJu0o9xZJ0

I'm not quite shure what exactly you are asking... Click?
Why on earth would you even need a click track when you have drums/precussion playing...?
A click track (at least to me) is something you use when recording / sequencing so you have a guide to record all tracks without getting out of tempo and so you can sync all your tracks to in a sequence.
If you have a drum machine / drummer going why would you need the click when you have the rhythm going?

The best click you can have has to be "inside of you", your own natural tempo. It takes learning, and practice, but is a basic thing a musician is "supposed" to have. Any musician needs to train himself be able to sit at a keyboard and groove or jam any song in tempo without anything else (clicks, drums, whatever)

I think most of this younger generation these days are getting so depending on technology and gadgets that most are unable to sit down at an acoustic piano and just play with a band. There are no clicks, drum tracks, backing tracks, octave or transpose buttons or any of that crap, just a set of keys and your fingers, period!
People today try to learn the complex technical side to things without learning the basics first. I just don't understand, maybe is just because i come from a very different age.
Yamaha: Motif XS8
Roland: expanded JV-1010 modules (3X)
...And a bucket load of Softsynths, plug-ins, and DAW's Smile
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: playing over backing tracks on time Reply with quote

awake21 wrote:

Just curious so please don't be offended. Have you never played with a bunch of musicians in a band format? all you have to do is listen to each other and you should always be tight together musically.

Another question would be, do you play any other instruments? I have often just sat with a guitar and played along with whatever the soundtrack is on whatever TV show happens to be on. I usually have never heard the music but, hey! It's music. How hard can it really be if you are listening?

Like I said earlier, I'm really not trying to offend you but your question is a little strange to me.

A musician should be able to play along with any other music, anytime, anywhere. It's what we do. Smile
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: playing over backing tracks on time Reply with quote

jorgemncardoso wrote:
awake21 wrote:

Why on earth would you even need a click track when you have drums/precussion playing...?
A click track (at least to me) is something you use when recording / sequencing so you have a guide to record all tracks without getting out of tempo and so you can sync all your tracks to in a sequence.
If you have a drum machine / drummer going why would you need the click when you have the rhythm going?

The best click you can have has to be "inside of you", your own natural tempo. It takes learning, and practice, but is a basic thing a musician is "supposed" to have. Any musician needs to train himself be able to sit at a keyboard and groove or jam any song in tempo without anything else (clicks, drums, whatever)

I think most of this younger generation these days are getting so depending on technology and gadgets that most are unable to sit down at an acoustic piano and just play with a band. There are no clicks, drum tracks, backing tracks, octave or transpose buttons or any of that crap, just a set of keys and your fingers, period!
People today try to learn the complex technical side to things without learning the basics first. I just don't understand, maybe is just because i come from a very different age.

I started playing in a band in the mid 70's and through most of the 80's. In the 80's we began to experiment with sequencing. The purpose wasn't to depend on technology but to make our 5 piece band sound bigger and to better cover the songs.

In the 90's I transistioned into playing at church. All live as a typical band would do. However this year, I moved to a church that uses a click track on practically every song and backing tracks on some songs. I had some hesitancy with this because the backing tracks seemed to be mostly keyboard sounds which was what I was there for...

When I questioned some of this they let me know I could decide if the tracks would benefit us or not. So on some songs w/tracks I just play the parts without them and on others I use them. Regardless, we have the click track.

The thing is, this is the most professional setting I've played in since playing in church. The musicians are pro level and I have to bring my game to stay up. We also have an amazing sound man so our sound and mix is fantastic. The thing is, I don't notice the click so much anymore but I know we have a very tight sound. After having spent years in loose bands timing wise, this is awesome.

Lastly, I'm using the Kronos to play click tracks, backing tracks, and my own sequences. One thing I always wanted to do live was to have a repeating or rhythmic sound that would play in time with the band. It is nearly impossible in many settings where there is no timing reference. Now, I have used Karma and timed delays for great effects knowing I can sync to the click track and have tight timings...LIVE!

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
jorgemncardoso

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Geo, totally understand where you are coming from mate. Smile
That's where i begun back in late 80's, played in church for 20 years, apart from the several outside bands too during that period.
But the click track live (for a keyboard player at least) is still a little hard for me to see the benefit, unless you want to sync a delay to it or something else as you stated. If i have our drummer in time with the click track, i don't necessarily need to listen to the click track myself, i just follow the drums. In fact i would probably mess up if i was listening to the click track and drums at the same time. However i always had the luck to have very good and tight drummers in that time (tempo wise), so i don't think that we would drift all that much without a click.

However, in a very large stage environment where you get all this reverb and delays all over the place, you will need the click to make sure you are playing in time with the rest of the band, but for smaller rooms or stages following the drums is enough for me. It always depends on the different scenarios of course.

Playing in a church band however, the concept of using a click myself (at least on a regular service situation) is a bit strange to me, because it's not "regular" music (songs) as you know, you need to play faster, play slower, stop, etc. You don't have a regular pattern most times as a regular song (gig) would have, where you have a set list and follow it to the letter.
At least in my time we had a generic set list for the service, but things changed all the time and it was hard to have much pre-programed, i had to improvise all the time. Using any sequences or backing tracks was really difficult too, unless you are playing songs from beginning to end without changes and where you can have pre-programed stuff.

I understand that for musicians that where never in bands where you have to improvise and adjust all the time, make key changes on the fly, have several lead singers in one gig, is hard to understand the principle. On most regular music (at a gig), you can pre-program almost everything ant there are not that many surprises or on the fly changes.

Having begun in church however gave me a whole flexibilities and improvisation skills, and technical baggage that some guys who start playing instrument's now don't get.
I've seen guys complain for example about this or that keyboard not having transpose buttons on the front panel, when i had to play in another key, i just played in another key and that was it Laughing there where no transpose buttons back then, even less on an acoustic grand Razz

I just have the opinion that one must not let himself fall on the trap of relying (meaning being dependent on...) on the technology to play. I like to use technology to make my life easier if needed, or to enhance a performance, but never to replace any skill (or lack there off...)
Comrad_Durandal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: playing over backing tracks on time Reply with quote

jorgemncardoso wrote:
awake21 wrote:

Oh come on now, no need for the 'young whipper snappers, get off my lawn' talk Wink. He asked a basic question - one I'd be inclined to ask as I, too, am somewhat new to learning music. It seems pretty amazing for the uninitiated to see someone keep tempo with previous recorded tracks and/or other musicians, but like you said - it's a learned skill that takes practice. Modern keyboards have a LOT of tools that seem daunting to people just starting out, and the Kronos is definitely in that category. Speaking from the beginner point of view, a lot of the functions of the Kronos are a mystery to me - but I figure that in time, I will learn what they are used for as well as when they'd be appropriately deployed in my own creative processes.

Modern keyboard workstations almost need a separate teacher to show them the features BEYOND the basics of playing the keyboard and music theory - something a lot of instructors will not do or even attempt. Many an instructor has told me that they will not instruct anyone on keyboards - only pianos, as there is no way to get sucked into teaching about this feature or that issue or another item entirely (beyond the usual 'keyboards are not instruments' argument I've gotten from an instructor or two).
jorgemncardoso

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally get what you are saying. However no kind of negative criticism or patronizing of any kind was intended to the OP on my first post, or to any of the younger folks for that matter. Sorry if it came out like that, not intended to Wink

I just find it odd him asking for the click track when the guy demoing the keyboard was playing to a drum track, i mean... That is the click (rhythm)
A click track when you are playing with a drum track on the keyboard or you have a drummer playing a few feet away from you is totally redundant.

I guess what i was trying to say is, with the amount of technology available on keyboards these days, we can fall into the trap (especially younger guys starting to play) of relying and depending on the technology too much to the point of starting to take shortcuts when it comes to basic skills, because the keyboard almost does it all.
It's great to use it to help and enhance your performance but never let it replace skill.
IMHO it's better to start leaning on basic piano or organ to get the basics and the feel of music and music theory, and then move on to the synth world Smile

Yes there is still a lot of teachers out there that still doesn't consider keyboards as instruments. A lot of them because they where classically trained pianists. But i'm sure there are lot of synth guys out there that are teaching keyboard/synth theory and operation. And there is also a huge load on info on the net and on youtube too.

Man i wish i had the resources that exist now when i started to learn to play. In my time we had to do it all the hard way because there was no other way to do it Laughing
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you actually watch the video?

He plays for like 16 bars with no drums or percussion at all, after an initial single hit. I'm a pro and consider my time good, yet there is no way I could pull that off without being even a sixteenth off when the backing track comes back in.

I think he's simply watching the metronome light. That's what I'd do.
jorgemncardoso

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i watched the video. But i guess i didn't understand the question like that, so i was thinking he was referring to the whole song with the percussion part and not the beginning when the percussion comes in. Didn't thought of it like that. Ok, the question makes more sense to me now Smile
Maybe i was just too hasty in replying the first time Laughing Thanks for pointing that out.

Yep watching the metronome light makes sense of course. If he had a drummer playing there, the drummer would have fallowed his initial tempo of course Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: