Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monotron Delay causes feed back loop?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Monotron Series
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phaelnot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Monotron Delay causes feed back loop? Reply with quote

Using the monotron as a post processor to my MS20 mini, getting into a nice jam and WHAM! Just about blew my speakers, sounded like a dead short (unplugging a device half way)...woke up the wife and probably some neighbors...signal out to a prosonus firewire studio...had to pull the cable on the monotron to stop, started up again and all OK. Anyone ran into this problem? Kinda worried to try again...
thehighesttree
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes its delay can get caught in Feedback Hell® if you've got the delay depth set too far. It seems like both delay variables contribute to this, but I've found it seems capable of freaking out when the feedback level is beyond ~60%. I'd be surprised if you couldn't dead it by killing the 2 delay variable levels. PLAY CAREFUL IN SPACE!
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that monotron delay goes ape' quite easily. Personally i would not use it for that purpose but rather a better ,more dedicated delay unit instead. The monotron is a cheapy box in the end.
Rolling Eyes
Phaelnot

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Drhoo & the Highesttree...overloaded it again before your responses...this time took the feedback down to zero and ended the affair. Feedback H*$ll is right. Not using it for post signal anymore...too much noise in the signal. Great for stand alone Forbidden Planet effects.
Laughing
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, great for all that. In theory it ought to be o.k to use as you did but just watch that dial !!! Hah.
Familyuluvx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have information on the letter. I want to delve more

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so this is an old thread but im reviving coz i just received my monotron delay just now and as soon as i increase the feedback knob even without any tweaks or aything else, just the static of the machine feedbacks into the delay and creates a feedback loop of hell....

Anyone know how to properly tame this? this is unusable.

EDIT:
OKAY, so i figured out what was the problem.... it's the cutoff resonance. i initially assumed the filter was a high pass filter so i had it all the way left when in fact it's a LPF so i have to have it all the way right to have it "open"

That definitely helped calm it down.. now while it's still a wild beast it's somewhat controllable.....

This is gonna be hours of lo-fi fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Monotron Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: