Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KROMOS - Krome to Kronos Converter Software
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunriser111671

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomtomheaven wrote:
I am more and more interested by your software...

Can you explain your method? specs? etc...

I agree Sharp with the fact that triton has much more PCG files to convert than Krome...

So, what about a Triton to Kronos (or Krome Smile ) converter?

In fact, if I had the PCG specifications , I would develop Triton to Krome converter...

Thank you,
Cyph

The method is pretty easy:

I got the specs from Korg for the PCG format/SysEx parameter data and created a parser for the program bank data in the Krome PCG to a custom object in my code. Using a spreadsheet, I created a lookup table between Krome and Kronos parameters (also did that for the FX). I converted the spreadsheet to tables in a SQLite DB. I also used a Kronos InitProgram parameters as a starting point for each converted Kronos Program. Then I "injected" the updated Krome parameters into the Kronos programs. Add the PCG headers with with converted Kronos Programs (with a little help from Michel the author of PCGTools. Thanks again!) and voila! Kronos PCG file ready for loading!

Based on the Triton interest, I have contacted Korg to get information on the Triton PCG, KSF, etc. data.

The question still remains: Is the Triton synth engine comparable to the EDS/HD-1 engines of Krome/Kronos? Will the converted parameters "sound" the same between the two workstations? AS Sharp and I both know very well, the M1 did NOT directly convert to the Kronos and it required a LOT of scaling and conversion to get something even close on the Klonos software I created.

I cannot reveal any specifics on the PCG spec. If you contact Dan at Korg, he may be able to help you with that.

To help with future development, please take a few moments to test out my current KROMOS software, since this will be the platform that will include future Korg models. I need feedback!

Thanks
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomtomheaven wrote:
I am more and more interested by your software...

Can you explain your method? specs? etc...

I agree Sharp with the fact that triton has much more PCG files to convert than Krome...

So, what about a Triton to Kronos (or Krome Smile ) converter?

In fact, if I had the PCG specifications , I would develop Triton to Krome converter...

Thank you,
Cyph

I cannot go in details, because I didn't make it. However a Triton to Kronos /Krome converter is much more difficult ... different parameters and more .. thus some cannot be mapped onto others.

You can get (almost) all PCG specifications from the Korg site.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it.

The M1 to KRONOS converter is taking AI engine data and remapping it to HD-1 format. So why is there this problem all of a sudden with the Hi-SYS / Triton engine needing to be like EDS?

If anything KROME / EDS is going have even more parameters that will need to be mapped. Just seems to me that if your going to take the time to do this, there's no point in bothering with a KROME converter as there's nothing even worth converting.

Where on the other hand the download section contains tons of Triton data.

Regards
Sharp.
sunriser111671

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
I don't get it.

The M1 to KRONOS converter is taking AI engine data and remapping it to HD-1 format. So why is there this problem all of a sudden with the Hi-SYS / Triton engine needing to be like EDS?

If anything KROME / EDS is going have even more parameters that will need to be mapped. Just seems to me that if your going to take the time to do this, there's no point in bothering with a KROME converter as there's nothing even worth converting.

Where on the other hand the download section contains tons of Triton data.

Regards
Sharp.

I'll give you a few examples:

In the Klonos M1-to-Kronos app:

- VDF EG Release Time was way different from AI to HD-1. It required me to create scaling where Kronos Release Time is almost double the M1 setting
- VDF EG Time KB Track setting in AI is one parameter, but the equivalent in the Kronos is 4 parameters using Ramp settings. And, worse than that, the range on the ramp is way different requiring scaling to be done. And worst than that, the scaling had to be inverted to have negative instead of positive values and vice versa

There were probably 20-25 parameters that required this type of intervention and it drove me nuts and I ALMOST abandoned the project.

Now, in the KROMOS Krome-to-Kronos app:

- all smooth sailings. Parameters directly related to each other. No conversion, no scaling, no inverting values, and no 1-to-4 binding relations needed. So, the VDF EG Release Time setting on Krome "sounds" the same on the Kronos (at least I'm assuming that. I'm still waiting for Krome users to confirm that).

The Klonos AI-to-HD-1 was challenging and I'm glad I completed a working version of it, but I'm not interested in all that custom scaling, binding, etc. for every Korg workstation I want to convert.

So, again my question is: Do the Program Parameters on the Triton with its Hi-SYS sound engine have equivalent Program Parameters in the HD-1 KRONOS THAT "SOUND" the same?

Here's an easy way to test it:

If someone has a Triton and a Kronos, Go to an InitProgram on the Kronos User Bank. Find a Program on the Triton (something generic like a piano sound). Manually set the parameters on the Kronos to match as much as possible the Triton paramters (Pitch,VDF/LFO,VDA EGs should be easy and most others as well). Compare the sound from Triton to Kronos (even if the multisamples are different, you should still be able to hear the EGs, cutoffs frequencies, etc matching with the Kronos). Further, manipulate the EGs on Triton and KRONOS and see if the "sonic character" still matches.

If the Times and Levels appear to match, then I'll be happy to start work on a Triton to Kronos conversion. If they're way off, I may not be interested in spending the amount of time needed to do a PROPER conversion....

Thanks!
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I'd REALLY LOVE to get in on this with 01/W patches. I have an 01/Wr I keep just because I can't part with the sounds. I'm not sure how free you are with the source, and what programming platform you're using, but may be able to help as programming is also my profession. Just a matter of time management that's the issue!
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sunriser.

Firstly let me say that I'm very grateful for your efforts and that I would like to thank you for creating the M1 to KRONOS converter.

Quote:
I'll give you a few examples:

In the Klonos M1-to-Kronos app:

As to be totally expected. Your taking a sound engine is almost 30 years old and porting it's parameters to the most current sound engine there is.

It was worth the effort too as there's thousands of sounds available for the M1.

Quote:
Now, in the KROMOS Krome-to-Kronos app:

all smooth sailings.

Maybe, maybe not but assuming it is for a moment.....

Unlike the M1, there is near next to nothing available for the KROME. So even if you finished this, I honestly can't think of any use I'd have for it, or what others will do with it right now.

There's just nothing much to convert that's even worth the bother.

In short, I see this as a complete waste of your time. I'd rather see you creating something people will use like a Triton to KRONOS convert and sticking a price tag on it for the extra effort it might take.

Quote:
So, again my question is: Do the Program Parameters on the Triton with its Hi-SYS sound engine have equivalent Program Parameters in the HD-1 KRONOS THAT "SOUND" the same?

Nobody knows. Just as nobody knows if the EDS conversion will be as 1:1 as your probably expecting it to be. You may find EDS doesn't port well at all.

The only way anyone will know is if someone sits down and ports a sound manually. I'd do it if I had a Triton but sadly I don't.

Anyway.... bottom line for me on all this is, I'd hate to see you spend time working on something nobody will use. I'd rather see you tackle something that maybe a little or a lot more difficult that everyone will use, and you sticking a price tag on it to justify the efforts it would take.

The 01W, Trinity and Triton series will be the most attractive for KRONOS users in my opinion. Where the KROME will be by far the least interesting for KRONOS users in my opinion.

Regards
Sharp.
sunriser111671

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp,

I actually agree with most of what you are saying, but there are a few things I'll point out:

Quote:
Just as nobody knows if the EDS conversion will be as 1:1 as your probably expecting it to be. You may find EDS doesn't port well at all.

Actually using the Best of M1 PCG from Korg as a source file (reason one for justification of creating KROMOS), I converted all 100 programs to Kronos. When I used the M1 samples that are included in the Kronos ROM with my converted PCG from KROMOS, I got results that sounded really REALLY close to the actual M1 I have (by proxy, the Kronos should sound the same as well). A lot of these results were BETTER than using my Klonos converter app!

Quote:
I'd hate to see you spend time working on something nobody will use.

Whether people use it or not is secondary to me. I created this personally to get a good copy of Best of M1 from Krome to Kronos. I also want to use a third party sound set that was created only for the M50/Krome in the Kronos. If others find a use, that's just frosting on the cupcake...

Quote:
In short, I see this as a complete waste of your time.

Now this I have to respectfully disagree with. Even if no one uses KROMOS, what I accomplish with this development is a framework for other Korg workstations to be easily added to my project (from working with Michel and his excellent PCG Tools app, he would probably attest that doing his first synth conversion was not a waste of time but a platform to build his other workstation read/view/writes from). This app was purposefully designed to allow other Korg synths to be plugged in with relative ease (IF there isn't a bunch of conversion, scaling, etc. mumbo jumbo to mess with). That's one reason I chose to use SQLite as my base for the conversion data. I will not have to alter hardly any of my code for new synths, just copy/paste new conversion tables into my DB.

Quote:
It was worth the effort too as there's thousands of sounds available for the M1. The 01W, Trinity and Triton series will be the most attractive for KRONOS users in my opinion.

Quote:
Triton to KRONOS convert and sticking a price tag on it

Hmmm, all it would take is one person with a Triton-to-Kronos converter app to convert all those Triton PCGs in your Download area to Kronos then re-post the Kronos PCGs for the people to download. I can see how it still may be appealing to SOME who may have custom Triton patches with custom samples but I don't think it would sell very well.

I base this on some experience: guess how many people have responded to my Klonos M1-to-Kronos converter app with comments, bugs, accolades? That would be zero. I'm not complaining. I made it to convert my M1 Plus 1 sounds and decided to share without any real expectation.

OK, so who, that owns a Triton and a Kronos, would be interested in working with me to determine the feasibility of a Triton to Kronos converter? I have no interest in purchasing a Triton just for this purpose (my Kronos is just fine and dandy!)

Thank you!
Kromeheaven
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one question more :

Are the Kronos PCG files (for EDS synth part) loadable on a Krome?
Thinking of that because if not possible, I can study the Triton-to-Krome converter...

Challenges are my daily Smile

http://www.korgnautilus.com
http://www.kromeheaven.com
sunriser111671

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone wrote:
Man I'd REALLY LOVE to get in on this with 01/W patches. I have an 01/Wr I keep just because I can't part with the sounds. I'm not sure how free you are with the source, and what programming platform you're using, but may be able to help as programming is also my profession. Just a matter of time management that's the issue!

The programming platform is .NET 4 C# using WPF. I'm pretty open about the source. Send me a PM with your email address and we'll talk further.

Couple things to note:
- you'll find the same thing in the 01/w I did in the M1. A LOT of parameters that will require scaling, limiting, or just plain custom conversion.

- sampling of the raw multisamples will still need to be done (I think the wave sequences are already in the Kronos correct?)
sunriser111671

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better start studying. Each PCG file is compatible with only one workstation family it was intended for (a few exceptions like ability of Kronos to read Oasys pcg). any more info you'll need to get from Korg.

tomtomheaven wrote:
Just one question more :

Are the Kronos PCG files (for EDS synth part) loadable on a Krome?
Thinking of that because if not possible, I can study the Triton-to-Krome converter...

Challenges are my daily Smile
korglegend

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does anyone converted Krome M1 sounds to Kronos?Thanks
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

korglegend wrote:
So does anyone converted Krome M1 sounds to Kronos?Thanks

I don't know for sure, but I got the impression that CTravaglini was working on this and almost finished the job too. I got the feeling he was considering releasing them for a small fee due to the fact that he probably had to spend many days going though each and every program mapping effects and so on.

I can't say for sure though, I'm just reading between the lines here as it was part of another thread on questions about copyright and so on.

Regards
Sharp
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sunriser.
It's quite interesting to hear that EDS maps so well to HD-1.

I'd love to get my hand on a Triton to compare as I feel the structure of the sound engine very close, but god only knows what way a 1:1 port would turn out. It may involve anything from a little to a massive amounts of scaling. The only way one would ever know is to sit down at a Triton and do a 1:1 port manually.

Quote:
Now this I have to respectfully disagree with.

Well Sir, I tip my hat with respect to you. Your motivations are certainly in the right place and I admire that a lot.

Kind regards
Sharp.
sunriser111671

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new version of KROMOS has been uploaded to my site. Use the same link to download:

http://flexmediasoftware.com/index.php/downloads

Features/Updates:

V0.60 (11/4/2013)
- Added multiple program bank selection from source to target
- Syncronized Source/target bank selection after target conversion. Associated bank on either side will show when radio button changed
- [REMOVED] - Source Raw Data Grid (Caused sluggish response and not really needed)
- [UPDATED] - Target Data Grid now with radio buttons for each Kronos bank to be converted

Image of Multi-selection window:

Still looking for some feedback!
ak
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it load M3 PCG?

KELFAR SOUND LIBRARIES @ Korg Shop
KORG KRONOS SOUND LIBRARIES
Korg M3 World Music Set

Korg M3 and Kronos
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: