Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mono Legato mode and velocity

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kanthos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Mono Legato mode and velocity Reply with quote

I'm pretty new to actual synth programming, so this might be a silly question, but I couldn't find a standard definition on Google as to what Mono Legato should do (in general), nor in the manual, nor did I find anything that cleared it up here on the forums so far.

Take factory preset User-B-088 - Screaming Mini. Mono Legato is turned on, and the legato mode is set to Normal. Play one note, striking the key as hard as you can, and do not release it. Then play a different note, striking the key as gently as possible. The second note sounds at the volume of the first note. I assume this is because, as the M3 Parameter Guide says, envelopes and LFOs aren't retriggered when you're playing in legato mode, so the volume I hear for the second note would just be whatever the volume is, as affected by the amp envelopes; since this particular lead has a short attack and decay, I'm likely hearing the sustain stage's volume based on the velocity of the first note.

In short, this means that legato phrases are played with a uniform volume, based on the velocity of the first note in the phrase, when in Normal mode.

I can see that if I switch the Mode to "Use Legato Offset", the envelopes and LFOs are retriggered and the sample is played back from the legato start point. For this sound, and some others I've tried with, there's a slight click or pop, so it's not as smooth.

Is there a setting I'm not aware of that will avoid retriggering the envelopes, so the sound is smooth, but will also adjust the volume based on the velocity of the second note played? This is causing me problems playing a mono lead line where if I hit the first note too quietly or too loudly, the remainder of the phrase is either too quiet or too loud, and it takes a bit of the expressiveness away, being able to shape the volume of a phrase via velocities. And, with my hand on my joystick for pitch bend and vibrato, I don't have another controller I can use to just adjust the volume in the way a B3 player would use a swell pedal. (Incidentally, I do have an expression pedal connected to my M3, but I'm using it for bringing sounds in and out in a combi by using CC #11 (Expression), so I can't repurpose it.)

Incidentally, I notice that velocity of subsequent notes DOES affect legato phrases EXB-Radias sounds that are set to Mono with Trigger Mode: Single. For example, Radias factory preset INT-F-058 - Dukey Lead, behaves as I'd like it.

Is this just a limitation of the EDS engine, or is there a workaround?
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Parameter Guide has a decent definition of what Mono Legato should be ...
Quote:

"When Mono Legato is On, the first note in a legato phrase
will sound normally, and then subsequent notes will have a
smoother sound, for more gentle transitions between the
notes."

I would interpret "gentle transitions" to also include velocity/volume. So based on that definition what you want to do, and what "Use Legato Offset" is trying to do is partially defeat the "mono legato" effect. Retriggering envelopes and responding to velocity makes it kind of "mono sort of legato" ... its not so smooth anymore. The pops/clicks you hear are a result of a less than optimum implementation of this feature in my opinion.

That being said I don't know of any parameters that can be used to achieve the desired result using EDS on the M3. The only way I can think of would be to use Poly Legato and adjust your playing technique. Think of how you would play it on a real piano.

If you want to adjust the volume manually you could try using the ribbon controller. Your hand is already on the joystick so maybe you could use your thumb on the ribbon. You can assign the ribbon to control velocity on page P4:Amp/EQ. In the Amp Modulation section set the AMS to Ribbon and Intensity to a high value. Be sure to disable what ever else the ribbon is set to modulate or you will get unwanted effects. For User-B-088 ribbon is initially set for pitch.
kanthos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I questioned the parameter guide's definition because other synths (software synths, at very least), plus the EXB-RADIAS, behave differently.

I can't use the ribbon since I only have the module (why they didn't make it a tiny bit bigger and put the ribbon and switches on it is beyond me), but that's definitely a good idea.

Poly Legato is something I'll look at for some sounds, but for others, like the Screaming Mini, the mono mode Unison is being used, so going to poly for poly legato turns an exciting, fat sound into a boring one in this case. That's a good idea in general, and it does solve the volume problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: